15AAA has 4 20-win teams in it

philtenn

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 20-win teams in one district seems a little unusual to me. Anybody know of any other districts who have the same situation or better?

15AAA has Overton, White Station, Ridgeway, and Houston with 20+ win seasons this year.

While I agree with you on the difficultly of winning 20 by 4 teams, there were 4 of us in the district that didn't pose much of a problem, whether by underachieving or not being capable. The 4 teams that won 20 would have competed for the district championship in any district in the state. What do you think about the games last night Phil...

While I agree with you on the difficultly of winning 20 by 4 teams, there were 4 of us in the district that didn't pose much of a problem, whether by underachieving or not being capable. The 4 teams that won 20 would have competed for the district championship in any district in the state. What do you think about the games last night Phil...

While there were indeed weaker teams in the district, these 4 had to play each other and for the most part the games were highly competitive. Also, these teams did not play easy schedules outside the district. White Station, for one, played several Dandy Dozen teams in their schedule. I think the 20+ wins by each team is a legitimate barometer by which to measure the quality of the teams. I also believe 15AAA was probably one of the top districts in the state as far as quality of competition goes.

I saw the Central/Bartlett game. It was a pretty simple analysis. Central has at least 4 clearly (no debate) legitimate NCAA Divison 1 quality players. Bartlett has 1. Bartlett relies on their 1 almost entirely for their success while Central has other options.

Put on top of that, the fact that Coach Bray has got to be one of the top high school coaches in this area, if not in the state, and you've got a pretty unstoppable combination. She has the Central players working very well together as a team and they all seem to have pretty good basketball IQ. I don't see much of any of the players taking time off during play.

While all the Central starters are impressive, I'm the most impressed with Erica Burgess. She has really blossomed as a top-notch point guard. I can remember watching her in AAU a few years ago - tremendously athletic but with not enough discipline or judgment to make good use of her natural-born talents. Last night, she was an extremely effective floor general and played a big part in keeping JJ to 10 points for the game. Congrats to Erica on what was obviously a lot of concerted effort and hard work on her part to get where she is now.

Good luck, Central. I know you will represent our area well.

And congrats to Overton for their win over an excellent Millington team. A few more wins by you and I'll ALMOST be over those 3 losses to you. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

While there were indeed weaker teams in the district, these 4 had to play each other and for the most part the games were highly competitive. Also, these teams did not play easy schedules outside the district. White Station, for one, played several Dandy Dozen teams in their schedule. I think the 20+ wins by each team is a legitimate barometer by which to measure the quality of the teams. I also believe 15AAA was probably one of the top districts in the state as far as quality of competition goes.

I saw the Central/Bartlett game. It was a pretty simple analysis. Central has at least 4 clearly (no debate) legitimate NCAA Divison 1 quality players. Bartlett has 1. Bartlett relies on their 1 almost entirely for their success while Central has other options.

Put on top of that, the fact that Coach Bray has got to be one of the top high school coaches in this area, if not in the state, and you've got a pretty unstoppable combination. She has the Central players working very well together as a team and they all seem to have pretty good basketball IQ. I don't see much of any of the players taking time off during play.

While all the Central starters are impressive, I'm the most impressed with Erica Burgess. She has really blossomed as a top-notch point guard. I can remember watching her in AAU a few years ago - tremendously athletic but with not enough discipline or judgment to make good use of her natural-born talents. Last night, she was an extremely effective floor general and played a big part in keeping JJ to 10 points for the game. Congrats to Erica on what was obviously a lot of concerted effort and hard work on her part to get where she is now.

Good luck, Central. I know you will represent our area well.

And congrats to Overton for their win over an excellent Millington team. A few more wins by you and I'll ALMOST be over those 3 losses to you. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Philtenn, thank you for your kind words about Erica Burgess. She is truly an unsung hero for this Central squad. I will go out on a limb and call her the "GLUE" that holds this TEAM together. Eric allows everyone else to be "themselves". She is very unselfish and only cares about" the TEAM". She thinks "pass first" and does not care about who gets the headlines. One of the fastest guards in the Nation with the ball," Southeastern Louisiana", is getting a steal. Maybe she will make some noise in Murfreesboro because she flies, soo low, under the radar. Good luck to" YOYO" as she continues her career at Furman. I will follow her and know that she will be successful because of what you and your wife have put in her.

Philtenn, thank you for your kind words about Erica Burgess. She is truly an unsung hero for this Central squad. I will go out on a limb and call her the "GLUE" that holds this TEAM together. Eric allows everyone else to be "themselves". She is very unselfish and only cares about" the TEAM". She thinks "pass first" and does not care about who gets the headlines. One of the fastest guards in the Nation with the ball," Southeastern Louisiana", is getting a steal. Maybe she will make some noise in Murfreesboro because she flies, soo low, under the radar. Good luck to" YOYO" as she continues her career at Furman. I will follow her and know that she will be sucessfull because of what you and your wife have put in her.

You are absolutely right. You are not going out on a limb when you say that Erica is the glue that keeps that team a TEAM. It all starts with her.

One thing I've always liked about Erica was that she was unselfish and stayed focused on what was good for her team and not what was good for her own stats. She was on an AAU team where others got a lot of the headlines, but she did a lot to help them get that attention. She was always in the background but she made her mark in games. I know she hurt our AAU team plenty across the years.

I think Yo and Erica will have a great time playing college ball and you can bet I'll be following all the girls from this 2009 class. There are so many excellent players from this group. It was a real pleasure watching them grow up over the years and it'll be even more fun watching them as adults. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

4 20-win teams in one district seems a little unusual to me. Anybody know of any other districts who have the same situation or better?

15AAA has Overton, White Station, Ridgeway, and Houston with 20+ win seasons this year.

Yeah Phil, I was thinking the same thing watching the Central vs. Bartlett game. It's not just that our district is tough, our region is also tough! Oh well...

I do know that Central and Overton will both make a major impact at States and that's good news for all Memphis area teams. Good luck!

Yeah Phil, I was thinking the same thing watching the Central vs. Bartlett game. It's not just that our district is tough, our region is also tough! Oh well...

I do know that Central and Overton will both a major impact at States and that's good news for all Memphis area teams. Good luck!

But remember 14AAA had both teams last year...We had beaten up on each other but they came out on top in the games that counted....

I do know that Central and Overton will both make a major impact at States and that's good news for all Memphis area teams. Good luck!

Hasina at White Station and we'd have been there. Like you said: Oh well...