How will Oakland Baseball do this season?

Longgone

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did you honestly just mention hawks in that to watch out for list? i have seen him play many times and sorry to say nothing to watch out for there?????

The soph's at Oakland are strong. Before you start "dissing" individual players, you need to remember that players that are 15/16 years old are on the cusp of making the transition into varsity baseball. What really matters is that these young players get the work in to prepare for their JR/SR years.

With that being said, many of these 16 year olds have had much success and, I would say, are stronger - as a whole - than the group at Siegel. If you'll remember this past fall, in Buddy Power's Fall tournament, a team comprised of mostly OHS sophomores were the ONLY undefeated team in that tournament. The pitching for that team handled several teams comprised of some JR/SR from area teams well. Those same kids helped win the Fall Nationals in Southhaven, as well as a tournament in Oak Ridge that had some significant teams.

Granted, there are a few players from Blackman and two from Siegel on that team (one soph from Siegel didn't play with us in the Fall Tournament). But, the core group of players are soph's at OHS.

You have to remember, too, that this group were freshmen players on a team that went to the state tournament last year. (A year before, the OHS team had 40+ wins and lost in the sub-state). So, it's a good group with high potential.

We'll see how it turns out! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

The soph's at Oakland are strong. Before you start "dissing" individual players, you need to remember that players that are 15/16 years old are on the cusp of making the transition into varsity baseball. What really matters is that these young players get the work in to prepare for their JR/SR years.

With that being said, many of these 16 year olds have had much success and, I would say, are stronger - as a whole - than the group at Siegel. If you'll remember this past fall, in Buddy Power's Fall tournament, a team comprised of mostly OHS sophomores were the ONLY undefeated team in that tournament. The pitching for that team handled several teams comprised of some JR/SR from area teams well. Those same kids helped win the Fall Nationals in Southhaven, as well as a tournament in Oak Ridge that had some significant teams.

Granted, there are a few players from Blackman and two from Siegel on that team (one soph from Siegel didn't play with us in the Fall Tournament). But, the core group of players are soph's at OHS.

You have to remember, too, that this group were freshmen players on a team that went to the state tournament last year. (A year before, the OHS team had 40+ wins and lost in the sub-state). So, it's a good group with high potential.

We'll see how it turns out! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Hey Southpaw - I think I know you. Was your SEC school MSU? If so, then can we put some of that Soph success on the DD coaches shoulders?

I agree that the Oakland Soph have plenty of potential - we've just dominated them in the past when they were Central and in Fr ball. Now with that said, your coach has the uncanny ability to flip the "on" baseball switch of his kids. Not sure why or what happens but they are different their Jr / Sr years.

By far, the kids from Siegel on your summer team must have pushed you over to greatness....LOL! Yes, that group you speak of is one that will be playing together for some time I hope.

What happened in the previous mention of Soph. players not including Hull and Monaghan (sp)? Both were bound and gagged, then taken from Siegel to your facility and brain washed into wanting to play ball there... We're looking at video recordings now to prove our case.

Another player that can play as a 16 yr old is the McDonald kid - he's a Junior. Another one that was woo'ed away...

All this is in fun so don't hate on me!

Now - could someone give me the lineup from last night so we can start our arm chair coaching break down?

Hey Southpaw - I think I know you. Was your SEC school MSU? If so, then can we put some of that Soph success on the DD coaches shoulders?

I agree that the Oakland Soph have plenty of potential - we've just dominated them in the past when they were Central and in Fr ball. Now with that said, your coach has the uncanny ability to flip the "on" baseball switch of his kids. Not sure why or what happens but they are different their Jr / Sr years.

By far, the kids from Siegel on your summer team must have pushed you over to greatness....LOL! Yes, that group you speak of is one that will be playing together for some time I hope.

What happened in the previous mention of Soph. players not including Hull and Monaghan (sp)? Both were bound and gagged, then taken from Siegel to your facility and brain washed into wanting to play ball there... We're looking at video recordings now to prove our case.

Another player that can play as a 16 yr old is the McDonald kid - he's a Junior. Another one that was woo'ed away...

Now - could someone give me the lineup from last night so we can start our arm chair coaching break down?

That's a good guess...but I ain't syaing if you're right or wrong /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I'm not sure why Hull and Monaghan weren't mentioned...but they should have been. Both are significant players. I've only seen the McDonald at practice and pre-season games. And, hey, who wouldn't want to come play baseball for Oakland! LOL

I wasn't at the game, but this is what I was told:

P - Barrett

C - Welchance

1B - Ward

2B - Nipper

SS - Fann

3B - Paul

LF - Sinor

CF - Hargis

RF - Dodd

DH - Moore

Clark came in for Barrett - maybe around the 5th or 6th inning.

Southpaw,

Dont forget that one kid was from MTCS.

Guess who?

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I like this southpaw.....he knows his stuff

I think some of the better sophs in the class attended Lascassas and went undefeated as 8th graders. Guys that you haven't really heard from yet, but I promise you will.

Remember the names Hughes, Henry, Gardner, Moore, and Messick

Every kid that plays at Oakland knows the tradition and expectation placed on them by teams of the past, and they embrace that and work hard to achieve those expectations

Southpaw,

Dont forget that one kid was from MTCS.

Guess who?

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Oh, don't worry...I haven't forgotten him! I'm just trying to defend the OHS boys!

Heard that one kid from MTCS had a good game last night! Makes us proud!!

Oh, don't worry...I haven't forgotten him! I'm just trying to defend the OHS boys!

Heard that one kid from MTCS had a good game last night! Makes us proud!!

No problem!! Hope yall are well!! Going to try and get out and see yall play some. Good Luck tonight. Good group of kids you are talking about. Remember it is not the game but what the game teaches young men about life. Baseball does come to an end at some point and then we must ask ourselves what kind of young men did we raise.

No problem!! Hope yall are well!! Going to try and get out and see yall play some. Good Luck tonight. Good group of kids you are talking about. Remember it is not the game but what the game teaches young men about life. Baseball does come to an end at some point and then we must ask ourselves what kind of young men did we raise.

Very true MTCSFAN, this wonderful game of baseball has many things to teach these kids about life. Good post

Did he strike out the side with the "3 finger" change up you are famous for?

Did he strike out the side with the "3 finger" change up you are famous for?

No! He did not inheirit that from me!! Thank goodness. LOL It was his splitter. How are things at Siegel? I miss a lot of those folks over there. Another good group of young men. Seems like yesterday we were playing middle school ball and now they are competing at the high school level. Some of us are getting old.

No! He did not inheirit that from me!! Thank goodness. LOL It was his splitter. How are things at Siegel? I miss a lot of those folks over there. Another good group of young men. Seems like yesterday we were playing middle school ball and now they are competing at the high school level. Some of us are getting old.

What I hear is from my friends over on Thompson Lane - they keep me filled in. I do still have a soft spot for several on the team. They look good from what I've seen so far this year.