best rb in west tennessee last 10 years

Guest cowboyup

Posted by cdt:
Posted by cowboyup:

who are the best running backs in west tn 1A, in the past 10 years.

i got 3 in order

1.tripp tucker USJ

2.adrian jamison bruceton

3.adam reagan jcs

I have seen all of these three play. Jamison is the best of the three, but they were only good single A backs. When you put their names beside Kelsey Williams, Tyrone Luster, Cedric Wilson-QB, but ran the ball. The single A names just don't match up.

I never saw the back from Bruceton that had 9000+ all purpose yards so I can't say much about him. :D:):)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jewel Flowers of Lake County (92-95) had more natural ability than almost anyone during that time. The combination of speed and power was very uncharacteristic. And if you weren't careful, he would knock your head off from his LB/SS position. He had one of the best seasons in TN history (1994) when he rushed for more than 2000 yards and led Lake County to the Clinic Bowl (loss to South Pittsburg by less than a touchdown). As far as an entire career, Joe Longmire from Bruceton or Nick Hampton from Westview have to be considered among the best. Also, after playing against Kelsey Williams of Humboldt in 1995 and having him rip us for 462 all-purpose yards and about 5 TD's (rushing, kick return, and punt return), he would have my vote too.

I never saw Longmire (my son did) i did see Tucker and Nick Hampton as well as Super Mario. Longmire was ok the stats are inflated from playing the entire game against weak opponents. Tucker was a good single A back but would have had problems in 2a or larger opposition. Super Mario ran behind a line that could have gotten yardage for almost any back and it got tons from him he was very talented. Nick Hampton was strong and aggressive as all Westview players always are but he like the rest was no match for Kelcy Williams. #48 lit up the night like no other i've seen in many years of watching Prep ball ,truly amazing. True his numbers are not as high as some other backs from the area. Humboldt coaches pulled him early in many games. I only recall him playing the entire contest once against Melrose as a junior (95) and in 96 he played the entire game against Milan in the Tucker homecoming. I recall Kelceys sophmore season were he scored "first touch" in 6 or seven games. He was Mr Football back in 1996 and runner -up in 95 to Eric Westmoreland. 6 foot 240 pounds of raw twisted steel who was as good at linbacker as tailback who truly loved to run the ball. Man i miss watching him run...beezer

Hmmmmmm...What a great thread. There have been some awesome backs in the last ten years. I had forgotten about Jewell from Lake County. Bruceton has always had a great back. It`s like a system up there. When they lose one, another one steps up. That goes back even to the 1980`s with Nelson Santiago. One that hasn`t been mentioned is Urban Garrett from USJ. I saw him get in a game as a scrawny freshman and could tell that he had some talent. I don`t think I`d put Adam Reagan in a top 3. I`m not sure if he is top 10 from the last ten years.

The thing I will always remember about Tripp Tucker is that for a smaller back, he always ran hard and it didn`t matter how how you hit him, even if you rolled him backwards, he would always pop right back up. It might be his 30th carry of the game late in the fourth quarter and he still just hopping right back up after being tackled.

• 1 year later...

i just want to say that cowboyup has to be a complete idiot. I know your not from Bruceton because noone from Bruceton would put someone from USJ ahead of Jamison. And, what were you thinking saying that Adam Reagan is in the top three. He played for a team that wasn't that good but got publicity because they were from Jackson. He might of rushed for 1,500 yds, but the hardest team they played was Camden until the tenth week. When he played a good team, he got shut down. USJ held him under 30 yds rushing, and Bruceton, which ended his season in the playoffs, held him to under 30 yds also. No back that is good in 1A is ever held for under 30 yds. So, as you can see Reagan sucked; his schedule was weak.

The best backs would have to be

Adrian Jamison Joe Longmire Jewel Flowers Patrick Willis

I also agree -- Jewel Flowers was the best that's ever come through Lake County and probably the best tailback in West Tennessee in the last 10, maybe even last 20 years. His not winning Mr. Football in '94 was a joke. Jewel set all kinds of school records for single-season yardage (somewhere just short of 3,000 yards) and completely outplayed both Joe Longmire and the kid from East Robertson (who ended up winning Mr. Football somehow, can't remember his name) in head-to-head matchups.

But what a waste of such a talent after he got out of high school.