There should be some kind of coaches creed

I just want to say for the record that I wish that some of these coaches in this wonderful basketball world of ours would not beg and beg kids to come to their teams and leave the teams that they have played for. I can't be the only coach who gets a child and works with them for years to develop that child into the player that some jonny come LATE-ly sees in a tourney, and the light just comes on it that coaches head "hey, I can work with that kid" Coaches, don't think that kid got that good all by themself. I would just like to challenge all of these JONNY's get a kid when they are young and develop them yourself.

P.S. did not spell check IT IS what IT IS

Thanks for letting me vent.

I just want to say for the record that I wish that some of these coaches in this wonderful basketball world of ours would not beg and beg kids to come to their teams and leave the teams that they have played for. I can't be the only coach who gets a child and works with them for years to develop that child into the player that some jonny come LATE-ly sees in a tourney, and the light just comes on it that coaches head "hey, I can work with that kid" Coaches, don't think that kid got that good all by themself. I would just like to challenge all of these JONNY's get a kid when they are young and develop them yourself.

Heat I feel your pain......Alot of us do. It only gets worse.The sooner you just accept it as a fact in summer ball the sooner you can have fun again. How old are the kids your speaking of?.........Just wait until shoe company age.

And if all your kids stay with you and they turn into good ball players welllll The coaches with the connections to the shoe companys and the college coaches will downplay the abilitys of your kids.

SOOOOO You had better know why your doing it and if its something you truly enjoy, because there are some that are going to try to undermine you at every turn.

Im sorry i couldnt offer you comfort but it can be a nasty business dealing with egos bigger than congress

I know how you feel. Don't just blame it on the coaches though. Often times it is the parents who will tell the kid "you are too good for this team" or "you are wasting your time with this team." The grass is always greener, especially once girls get to the high school level. No matter what the cause, it really does hurt because you feel like you have invested a great deal of time with them. You just have to tell yourself that if the player doesn't want to be with you or the parent(s) don't want to be there, you just have to let them go. Nothing good can come out of a player staying where they don't want to be or where a parent doesn't support them being.

It allows me to focus that much harder on those that do want to be there. Look at it this way....Consider that you did such a great job with those kids that other teams recruited them...you must be doing something right!

Just my 2 cents.

I know how you feel. Don't just blame it on the coaches though. Often times it is the parents who will tell the kid "you are too good for this team" or "you are wasting your time with this team." The grass is always greener, especially once girls get to the high school level. No matter what the cause, it really does hurt because you feel like you have invested a great deal of time with them. You just have to tell yourself that if the player doesn't want to be with you or the parent(s) don't want to be there, you just have to let them go. Nothing good can come out of a player staying where they don't want to be or where a parent doesn't support them being.

It allows me to focus that much harder on those that do want to be there. Look at it this way....Consider that you did such a great job with those kids that other teams recruited them...you must be doing something right!

Just my 2 cents.

Two great posts, robpride and BlueAngels. I agree completely with the idea that you have to remember why you even bother to coach in the first place. I also believe the brunt of the blame should go to the parents and NOT the coach who recruited. Lots of times the parents get stars in their eyes or don't take responsibility for getting informed about the new coach or organization before they jump. They just listen to all the promises and compliments without checking out how often they come through.

Got a question, though. Heat doesn't say anything about what's best for the player in his post. He mostly speaks about how he got wronged after putting all the time and energy into this player. I imagine he's just blowing off steam and he basically does coach for what's best for the player and he believes this move is not best for the player. The question: How many times has Heat or other coaches encouraged their players to leave because he/she recognized his/her own limits as a coach or the limits of the organization? That is, players can and do outgrow their coaches and organizations and when they do, recruiters can be helpful when a coach doesn't recognize that.

If the coach is about what's best for the player, then recruiting is not a bad thing necessarily. After all, if the recruiter is offering something better than what the present coach has to offer then for the good of the player, the present coach ought to encourage the player to go.

Finally, from my perspective, how much time and energy a coach puts into the player is irrelevant in the end (as far as what's best for the player). It's just like parents with children. Parents put a ton of energy, emotion, time, money, etc. into the development of their children, but at some point, for the good of the child, the child must move on to other challenges. I don't think it's a good idea for the parent to be upset because the child is leaving "after all I've done for him/her."

It's for that very reason, I admire most coaches. You are willing to put all that time and energy into someone else for the good of that other person. Still, Heat, I know it stings. I've been there myself. Hang in there.

Two great posts, robpride and BlueAngels. I agree completely with the idea that you have to remember why you even bother to coach in the first place. I also believe the brunt of the blame should go to the parents and NOT the coach who recruited. Lots of times the parents get stars in their eyes or don't take responsibility for getting informed about the new coach or organization before they jump. They just listen to all the promises and compliments without checking out how often they come through.

Got a question, though. Heat doesn't say anything about what's best for the player in his post. He mostly speaks about how he got wronged after putting all the time and energy into this player. I imagine he's just blowing off steam and he basically does coach for what's best for the player and he believes this move is not best for the player. The question: How many times has Heat or other coaches encouraged their players to leave because he/she recognized his/her own limits as a coach or the limits of the organization? That is, players can and do outgrow their coaches and organizations and when they do, recruiters can be helpful when a coach doesn't recognize that.

If the coach is about what's best for the player, then recruiting is not a bad thing necessarily. After all, if the recruiter is offering something better than what the present coach has to offer then for the good of the player, the present coach ought to encourage the player to go.

Finally, from my perspective, how much time and energy a coach puts into the player is irrelevant in the end (as far as what's best for the player). It's just like parents with children. Parents put a ton of energy, emotion, time, money, etc. into the development of their children, but at some point, for the good of the child, the child must move on to other challenges. I don't think it's a good idea for the parent to be upset because the child is leaving "after all I've done for him/her."

It's for that very reason, I admire most coaches. You are willing to put all that time and energy into someone else for the good of that other person. Still, Heat, I know it stings. I've been there myself. Hang in there.

Good Stuff philtenn.

I agree Phil.........A few years ago it would have knocked people over to hear me say this.

There does come a time or a certain situation when its in the players benefit to play for someone else.At that time its part of the coaches responsibility to help the player garner all the info good and bad on playing possibilities.

Of course then the parents and player can sort out the pros and cons and make an informed choice.

After that its Godspeed and daily prayers for what feels like a lost member of the family.

I've been the "parent" in this situation. I pretty much forced my niece to change teams when she was 15. The reason I did it was because she needed the exposure to get a better college offer. I felt that the team she was with 1st didn't go to the tournaments that would get her seen @ the highest levels. That was a choice I made, that she has since thanked me for, now that she is @ a top 25 college. But let me be clear, she wasn't recruited cause most of the higher level coaches didn't know about her. This was me doing what I felt was best for her.

I do agree with Philtenn, the child can't make the move unless the parent allows it.

Bri,

I also thought it was time for your neice to move on.Her team was talented but in this day talent alone doesn't get you noticed.I think it is an honor when our organization has a player the shoe sponsored teams come after.I do think those coaches often times mislead a player and inflate their abilities to improve a players chances.Telling an 8th grader college coaches aren't going to see them when they play for us is irresponsible.I don't fight over players or bother them if they play for someone else,but this is the nature of the beast and I hear of coaches getting mad and talking crazy to parents and harrassing kids because they won't switch teams.Its these coaches that make a bad name for AAU.

I truly understand how you feel, however what do you do as a coach when a parent comes to you about thier child playing on your team? If you know that that player has talent, do you turn them away? Because I am not aware of any teams having contracts on players stating where that player has to play with them every year. Especially when it is the parents decision to move that child. See to me when a child is not being taught up to the parents expectations, it is the parents right to move that child. I have 3 talented children and if I feel that one of children are not being taught the skills that they need to be competitive, then I am going to find a team where they will be taught those skills.

It is one thing to take players from another team (however I do not see how you can take players from another team if that player and parent are happy - because why would you leave a team when your child is learning), but is another thing for parents to take players off a team and put on another - THAT IS THE PARENTS CHOICE. Basketball is a competitive sport especiallly when you are talking about AAU - and parents are going to want thier child to be good teams - thats basketball or any other sport.

As being a parent and a coach, I respect the decision of parents, and I understand that everyone has different expectations for thier child(ren), and I would not have any hard feelings towards another coach if a player goes to thier team, because that is thier choice (espeically when there are more than one players leaving - that says something about the organization - not the other team).

And I would like to end on this ---- if you take a child and teach them the fundamentals of basketball and turn them into a player - then I do not see why that player would want to leave your team (or should I say I do not see why the parent would want them to leave) ---- now if you have a player and they are not being taught then I can see why a parent would want that player to leave.

There is always two sides to every story - so if you think that a coach took players from you, then you might want to contact those players parents to see what really happened - maybe that is when you will find out that it was thier decision to leave and ask to play on another team.

Thank you for letting me respond - I wish the best for your team and organization. Because in the end it is all about the players learning and playing up to thier potential - no matter who is coaching them. And remember it is always good to ask the parents first if it was thier decision or did the other team actually beg for those players, because you will be surprised sometimes on to what the response would be.

God Bless