Greeneville's Head Coach Resigns

RyanD22

Seems to me that this Greeneville administration doesn't realize that our kids learn alot of daily values from their coaches which are alot more important than things taught in a classroom. Kids respect their coaches and would be better off if the coaches were left to handle the troubles a team might run into "the fight'. As for coach Mac his team needs to rally around him and go get him back. As a fan I want to win a state title.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you people serious?

Do you really think that this is a Stroud/McCurry issue? The issue is McCurry bought a bunch of stuff without filling out any PO's and left the school in enormous debt. Why isn't anyone talking about the reason he resigned and making up a bunch of other crap?

Dr. Stroud has made a very positive change at Greeneville High School - oh wait...she punished athletes for their role in a big fight and caused us to not advance in the state tournament. That's the problem - you people think athletics are the most important thing in the world. What lesson have you learned from your coaches if you still don't understand why the bball team had to foreit its game. I saw the video - the girls were content to sit there and watch the fight until the girl they didn't want to win was winning. The boys who went into the girls' locker room were suspended, not the entire boys' basketball team.

What is your beef with Dr. Stroud? That's she's an educator who cares about more than football. Jerry Ayers cared more about more than football and that's why the whole football coach hiring process was taken out of his hands and put into the hands of local businessmen. Look how it turned out...great...the faculty had a hard time dealing with the fact that McCurry was hired the way he was. It was a mess from the beginning.

You people need to wake up to the fact that if athletics is all a school has, then it doesn't have much. Thank goodness you all aren't the people in charge.

By the way, let's make something clear...McCurry RESIGNED...if he resigned right now that means he probably has a job open somewhere...don't get mad at GCS administration for that...

Greeneville High School was the state of Tennessee's only Blue Ribbon High School winner last year. That's a national distinction. I'd say that makes them a superpower. I think they're pretty happy with being an academic superpower. You know...academics get people jobs...jobs are hard to find right now...thank god they have the right priorities.

I realize that GHS is a Blue Ribbon Highschool and it is no small feat, but why wouldn't you try to have both academic AND athletic excellence. This board is about the resignation of the head coach;it is not about the issue with the basketball team. As far as determining the true source of the issue I am beginning to think we will not know the true cause of resignation for a long time because all we have to go on is rumors. Or at least thats the only thing I have to go on.

"I think they're pretty happy with being an academic superpower. You know...academics get people jobs...jobs are hard to find right now...thank god they have the right priorities." Ummm, O.K. Obama couldn't have said it better. Remember those "right" priorities next fall when you are enjoying an entertaining evening watching a barn burner between Greeneville and Cocke County. Things will be more to your liking then; competition equalized, everyone more alike, no faculty offended because the football program is getting more than anyone else, and exiting in the 2nd round of the playoffs. Yep, what could I have been thinking? I'm sure everyone disappointed in the loss and the football program that got worse will get in their cars and say, "at least we are a Blue Ribbon winner!"

Greeneville High School was the state of Tennessee's only Blue Ribbon High School winner last year. That's a national distinction. I'd say that makes them a superpower. I think they're pretty happy with being an academic superpower. You know...academics get people jobs...jobs are hard to find right now...thank god they have the right priorities.

Go compare GHS to South Greene in Gateway scores the last six years. I am a GHS grad but these days it appears that the Greeneville system is all about entering "pat-me-on-the-back" contests instead of actual acheivement. Also maybe Ms. Stroud is trying to create more discipline in her new role at GHS because it was certainly not to be found in her previous role at GMS.

Are you people serious?

Do you really think that this is a Stroud/McCurry issue? The issue is McCurry bought a bunch of stuff without filling out any PO's and left the school in enormous debt. Why isn't anyone talking about the reason he resigned and making up a bunch of other crap?

Dr. Stroud has made a very positive change at Greeneville High School - oh wait...she punished athletes for their role in a big fight and caused us to not advance in the state tournament. That's the problem - you people think athletics are the most important thing in the world. What lesson have you learned from your coaches if you still don't understand why the bball team had to foreit its game. I saw the video - the girls were content to sit there and watch the fight until the girl they didn't want to win was winning. The boys who went into the girls' locker room were suspended, not the entire boys' basketball team.

What is your beef with Dr. Stroud? That's she's an educator who cares about more than football. Jerry Ayers cared more about more than football and that's why the whole football coach hiring process was taken out of his hands and put into the hands of local businessmen. Look how it turned out...great...the faculty had a hard time dealing with the fact that McCurry was hired the way he was. It was a mess from the beginning.

You people need to wake up to the fact that if athletics is all a school has, then it doesn't have much. Thank goodness you all aren't the people in charge.

By the way, let's make something clear...McCurry RESIGNED...if he resigned right now that means he probably has a job open somewhere...don't get mad at GCS administration for that...

I also heard tha McCurry had the ok to buy the items at the time and when the time came to pay the people that gave him the ok didn't pay up. I saw the video too and also heard that the 2 boys players weren't even in the room when it happened only 1 JV boys player was. What you don't see is since McCurry has been there GHS has had both academics and athletics......You are right McCurry did resign because he was ASKED to resign. If i know i could make just as much money somewhere else and wouldn't get hated on by the faculty and administration i would take the job in a heart beat. NO ONE on here is trying to say athletics is more important than you education just that McCurry will be missed and people think this could have been handled different.

"I think they're pretty happy with being an academic superpower. You know...academics get people jobs...jobs are hard to find right now...thank god they have the right priorities." Ummm, O.K. Obama couldn't have said it better. Remember those "right" priorities next fall when you are enjoying an entertaining evening watching a barn burner between Greeneville and Cocke County. Things will be more to your liking then; competition equalized, everyone more alike, no faculty offended because the football program is getting more than anyone else, and exiting in the 2nd round of the playoffs. Yep, what could I have been thinking? I'm sure everyone disappointed in the loss and the football program that got worse will get in their cars and say, "at least we are a Blue Ribbon winner!"

Uhhhh Stonewall buddy we won't be playing Cocke County next year and even if we were....haven't you heard ....we're smarter than they are.....Blue Ribbon Schools...an award born out of No Child Left Behind...and the reason only 6 schools in Tennessee won this "prestigous" award is the department of education does not provide funding for its mandates. Set the program standards but let the schools worry about the money to implement and achieve the objectives. And the best part Stony is...this was a BUSH program. NCLB is a dirty word to most educators. We have been fortunate to have had plenty of money(courtesy of us poor overburdened property owners) to not only implement the necessary programs but to provide a multi-million dollar facility to educate our kids. No-one had a problem with Macs salary or any money spent on equipment or field renovations until the economy tanked and the dreaded phrase was uttered.....BUDGET CUTS. For the first time in a while, we 're facing a budget shortfall and the academics can't wait to carve up athletics to find the money to keep funding the precious NCLB mandates. Better look out, arts will be next.

my point is that a lot of people on here are hating on the administration and faculty. you can have both academics and athletics, but what you're missing is that the tone of people on this board is against the ghs administration acting like they didn't want mccurry. only a few dingbats had a problem with mccurry, but many, and rightly so, had a problem with how he was hired. it's pretty crappy to not even let the principal of a high school have a say in who their next football coach is. that was the problem people had - it was not with mccurry himself.

the bottom line is this, though...this is an unfortunate situation for both greeneville high football players, coach mccurry, and greeneville high staff. it's a difficult process. it doesn't help that people on here spread rumors that aren't true and have no founding.

if you want the truth, ask Mccurry...he is the only one who can talk about it.

Tennessee state accounting principles require that administrators sign off on purchase orders. Apparently this wasn't followed because he thought the local businessmen would pick up the check. How sad. Of course, Richards wouldn't have signed the PO's because there was no money there for the equipment. Bottom line: mccurry got hung out to dry by businessmen, not ghs administrators

Tennessee state accounting principles require that administrators sign off on purchase orders. Apparently this wasn't followed because he thought the local businessmen would pick up the check. How sad. Of course, Richards wouldn't have signed the PO's because there was no money there for the equipment. Bottom line: mccurry got hung out to dry by businessmen, not ghs administrators

Man you sure are less insulting on this thread than on your "ignorance" thread. Other than throwing aroud a few "you people"s like you're better than we are, you are actually being rather civil. Must be all that "blue ribbon education". .

If this was a accounting issue and mac was indeed asked to resign over it then I don't understand the need for secrecy. The press release quoted Lyle as saying "It??™s safe to say it came about pretty sudden.??? Wasn't anyone questioning anyone as to the source of all this new equipment before now?

It is public money that has been allegedly mishandled and the admin will have to make a public accounting.

I might just call Lyle myself and ask him where my money's been spent