Greeneville's Head Coach Resigns

RyanD22

Your a moron...where exactly did this Barger woman post things about the director of schools...I must have missed that one on CoachT

OK, it is officially a meltdown. Like I said, the future of G'ville football is dismal. Without tearing off a scab, I do have an organizational question. Most HS have some type of football booster club run by parents and loosely connected to the school. Such booster clubs are often in place for other sports, the band, theatre, etc. It is basically a fund raising and fund spending mechanism outside of the school budget. Often disbursement of funds requires Coach / Faculty Sponsor approval. Does this not exist at GHS? Would not this have been the vehicle for this type of funding?

It is flabbergasting to me that bills from '07 had not been paid or that the vendors had not contacted someone for payment. Who was this mystery booster who Coach Mac thought was covering the expenses? Very strange.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, it is officially a meltdown. Like I said, the future of G'ville football is dismal. Without tearing off a scab, I do have an organizational question. Most HS have some type of football booster club run by parents and loosely connected to the school. Such booster clubs are often in place for other sports, the band, theatre, etc. It is basically a fund raising and fund spending mechanism outside of the school budget. Often disbursement of funds requires Coach / Faculty Sponsor approval. Does this not exist at GHS? Would not this have been the vehicle for this type of funding?

It is flabbergasting to me that bills from '07 had not been paid or that the vendors had not contacted someone for payment. Who was this mystery booster who Coach Mac thought was covering the expenses? Very strange.

If we have to tell you that you don't know very much about Greeneville...

that's a great point. i would like to know that, too.

i don't think the future of football is "dismal," though; football at ghs has always been taken care of. when sorrells retired they gave him a flippin' truck for god's sake. it'll be taken care of. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Knightw has finally put it out there the way it is. Thank you for setting it straight.

McCurry racked up $20,000 in debt for the school.

$20,000...

the company that he racked up $20,000 in debt with would not release the helmets until the debt was paid or a payment plan was started and the principal had to sign off on it. That's how the administration got wind of it in the first place. The school does not have $20,000.

I offered to pay some of it when I heard about it, but the amount I could give wasn't even enough when I found out that it was $20,000.

If one of my employees racked up $20,000 in debt, I would be calling the Sheriff. Mac got lucky and got to resign and probably go to a great job. I am sure he thought someone would pick up the tab, but they didn't. He tried to change the dates on the POs but that didn't cover up his mistake and that's why we are where we are.

Now you have all of these nasty people on here saying things that aren't true. Talking badly about a principal who was just trying to do her job.

Mrs. Barger, you should be ashamed of yourself. You taught both of my kids. They always said nice things about you but I see you on here spreading rumors and gossip, you should be ashamed. My girls would be sad if they knew what you were doing on here. Shame on you.

Ryan, no offense, but you're just a kid. Adults like to protect kids from the ugly truth. Mac isn't going to tell you that he screwed up and put our school in debt and then just resigned and ran away from the problem. He was offered the chance to finish the school year, but he decided to quit instead probably so he could get another football job. I don't blame him for not destroying your image of him his self.

I had heard the debt that had come about before i had even made it in from Knoxville last thursday. McCurry got stuck in a bad situation. When business men who put up loads of money to build a million dollar stadium and tell you yea go ahead and get something for the football program i wouldn't think anything about it not getting paid. He should have been smarter and got the money up front. That was the main reason he resigned....they also were cutting out football class because it wasn't fair to other sports and when he came here thats one thing the board that selected him promised he could have.

I had heard the debt that had come about before i had even made it in from Knoxville last thursday. McCurry got stuck in a bad situation. When business men who put up loads of money to build a million dollar stadium and tell you yea go ahead and get something for the football program i wouldn't think anything about it not getting paid. He should have been smarter and got the money up front. That was the main reason he resigned....they also were cutting out football class because it wasn't fair to other sports and when he came here thats one thing the board that selected him promised he could have.

This makes alot more sense to me now. Thanks.

Cutting out an open period you were promised (and I guess making you teach that hour or hour and a half if you do block scheduling) could be a major deal to some coaches.

Loose accounting from a hyper generous booster whose business situation (like all of ours) has deteriorated is very unfortunate - perhaps Coach Mac got caught in a bad situation.

GHS needs to form a football booster club with bylaws, etc. If Mr N still provides most of the money, let him chair it or name a chair. Head Coach approval of all expenditures. Approved budgets and regular meetings. Two signatures on every check. Most "top program" schools do it this way.

Money's tight for everyone including the big businessmen...one of them has lost a HUGE investment in a fire and the other is losing money in a project downtown because of the economic downturn. I'm more concerned about all those people employed by businesses owned by these men who are struggling to hang on to their jobs( I have family who works for 1 of these men) than whether Greeneville football can rebound from this disaster.....of course it will, the existing coaching staff is solid and will hold things together until a suitable replacement is found. I pity the idiot salesman who sold all this equipment without a signed purchase order from the school administration...did he just fall off a turnip truck or what. So where does the money come from to pay this bill?

Ok so explain to me why the entire girls basketball team got suspended and two of the guys. When hollowell was there he took care of suspension and mishaps like this. Would this power not go to coach richards or is this the place where you put the initials DR. in front of someones name and they have the super ego. She is a nice woman but she is the principal go behind closed doors and do your job like jerry ayers did. Let your other 2 assistant princ. do there jobs.

HAHAHA.... I love it! "Go behind closed doors" Thats what g-ville is all about right there. Cover-ups and cowards making decisions. Maybe it's a good thing you have a new prinicpal calling the shots and holding people's feet to the fire. If I was still employed at GHS (and than God I am not!) I think I would have liked working for this "Dr. Stroud".

Bottom line, in the chain of command, even the Athletic Director reports to principal, so until the whole story is out there, the true one, we may all never know the true tale. Obviously there was something that flared up and was brought to attention.

HAHAHA.... I love it! "Go behind closed doors" Thats what g-ville is all about right there. Cover-ups and cowards making decisions. Maybe it's a good thing you have a new prinicpal calling the shots and holding people's feet to the fire. If I was still employed at GHS (and than God I am not!) I think I would have liked working for this "Dr. Stroud".

Bottom line, in the chain of command, even the Athletic Director reports to principal, so until the whole story is out there, the true one, we may all never know the true tale. Obviously there was something that flared up and was brought to attention.

Chain of command goes THROUGH the principal and ends at Alshie's office. The buck stops there and he's the one who should have been keeping an eye on things.

Chain of command goes THROUGH the principal and ends at Alshie's office. The buck stops there and he's the one who should have been keeping an eye on things.

I will totally agree on that one! Look at all the money and resources that were wasted on "administrative retreats", the year round schooling crock-of-5ht idea, the $56,000 cafe design flaw at the school.... and did they ever get that irrigation problem fixed on the football practice field that was supposed to be "state of the art?"

I think the whole Coach Mac thing was an unique situation where you had deep pockets come in and try to control what went on. Without knowing the whole story, I cannot accurately have a say on what went on there, but obviously the coach EARNED his money and brought championships and even more money into the schools athletic fund while bringing new and a positive energy into the community. I bet there are some totally ticked off parents right now and that will and could possibly affect the football booster program for next season and even future seasons. Even with the high coaching salary, it really got to the faculty. I have heard this from many, but they have also stated that they like Coach Mac. I have never had the pleasure to meet the guy, but he sounds like a heckuva guy and coach. Regardless of what happened or what situation caused the "GHS breakup", two things come into play... #1 - GHS obviously lost a good coach, but #2 if this person was spending money that was not approved or was asked to teach/work or somethng else, then he should have went with it. I have seen teachers get bus licenses, teach classes they are not certified to teach, and do other things to help the school out. Now this may not be the case with the football coach, but obviously something wasn't right (whatever the situation was) and if an administrator stepped in and blew the whistle...... then it was the right thing to do. I do not know the whole tale, but it will come out, but now the sad thing is... there is a black eye on the whole GHS front and it's not good in the public eye and not good for the kids and student-athletes at GHS.

I will totally agree on that one! Look at all the money and resources that were wasted on "administrative retreats", the year round schooling crock-of-5ht idea, the $56,000 cafe design flaw at the school.... and did they ever get that irrigation problem fixed on the football practice field that was supposed to be "state of the art?"

I think the whole Coach Mac thing was an unique situation where you had deep pockets come in and try to control what went on. Without knowing the whole story, I cannot accurately have a say on what went on there, but obviously the coach EARNED his money and brought championships and even more money into the schools athletic fund while bringing new and a positive energy into the community. I bet there are some totally ticked off parents right now and that will and could possibly affect the football booster program for next season and even future seasons. Even with the high coaching salary, it really got to the faculty. I have heard this from many, but they have also stated that they like Coach Mac. I have never had the pleasure to meet the guy, but he sounds like a heckuva guy and coach. Regardless of what happened or what situation caused the "GHS breakup", two things come into play... #1 - GHS obviously lost a good coach, but #2 if this person was spending money that was not approved or was asked to teach/work or somethng else, then he should have went with it. I have seen teachers get bus licenses, teach classes they are not certified to teach, and do other things to help the school out. Now this may not be the case with the football coach, but obviously something wasn't right (whatever the situation was) and if an administrator stepped in and blew the whistle...... then it was the right thing to do. I do not know the whole tale, but it will come out, but now the sad thing is... there is a black eye on the whole GHS front and it's not good in the public eye and not good for the kids and student-athletes at GHS.

Well said and I might also add that whoever else had prior knowledge of these bills,and i can't believe that AD didn't once ask where all the stuff was coming from, should be held accountable as well. I believe Mac was the sacrificial lamb here and I'm sure after the way this one went down, he can't wait to get outta here....so now that this horse is thoroughly dead....any suggestions, rumours, speculations or wishes for his replacement?

Well said and I might also add that whoever else had prior knowledge of these bills,and i can't believe that AD didn't once ask where all the stuff was coming from, should be held accountable as well. I believe Mac was the sacrificial lamb here and I'm sure after the way this one went down, he can't wait to get outta here....so now that this horse is thoroughly dead....any suggestions, rumours, speculations or wishes for his replacement?

Caine Ballard enough said!!!!!!!!!