Farragut clear front-runner in East TN?

dins8

Anyone watch the Bearden/West game tonight? Gives us hope for another Farragut/Bearden/Rocky/Apollo slugfest that we got to witness in 2007, doesn't it?

Bearden was the better team tonight against West--hands down. From the moment that the whistle blew, it was clear that Bearden was going to win this game, despite the fact that West scored the first goal. Bearden was just too tough--plain and simple.

Strong points for both teams:

1.) Bearden's Defense: If there is any doubt about who is the Alpha Male on KFC's Holland, let the debate end tonight. Seth Williams is by far Holland's ace. He dominated Jack McCoy tonight, making Jack non-existent. I love the way Seth plays: He is hard-nosed, tenacious, quick, and unassuming. Jack McCoy (one of the best strikers in the K-ville area) was a non-factor tonight because his club teammate (Seth) seemed to effortlessly contain him. In fact, if it wasn't for a few ostentatious back heels, I wouldn't have known that Jack was on the field tonight. Seth shut him down; moreover, the rest of the Bearden defense was solid, organized, and resiliant as well. Turner deployed a three back zonal system to perfection tonight, and Bearden's backline was nearly impervious to the little creativity that West's offense showed. Conversely, I thought West did not play their best game defensively. They man-mark all over the field--as if Bearden still boasts a Tom W. or an Aaron S.

2.) West's throw: It has almost become a cliche, but Tanner Thompson's throw is deadly. The only offense that West generated tonight was off his throw, and I am convinced that they have lined the field to cater to Tanner's sling shot /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> . After all, West could have taken the field out at least five yards on the home side to help make it a pitch more conducive for a soccer team. Am I missing something? How come they don't take it out? Who cares if the goal posts are not aligned with the uprights? Either way, Tanner was, once again, magnificent tonight. Not only was his throw instant offense, but he is quite the competitor as well. He is the type kid that you want on your team: He tracks all day (I have no idea whether he was playing midfield or forward); he is volatile and tireless (I am pretty sure that his aggression earns him a card nearly every game); and he has weapons that you are born with (not only does he have a throw, but he has a wicked shot).

3.) Bearden's depth: How deep does Bearden go? Did anyone notice that one of Bearden's better players (Ryan Campbell) spent nearly the first twenty minutes on the bench in the second half? Bearden was able to win the midfield without Campbell; however, they are a much better team with him on the field. He is cheeky, creative, and able to create nightmares for opposing midfielders/defenders who tend to stab. Why does Ryan spend so much time on the pine? Do he and Turner not get along?

In the end, Bearden was the better team. Both teams played overly direct, but Bearden's organization and discipline were too much for West. West is a solid team but not nearly as solid as they were last year. Don't be fooled by Bearden's rollercoaster pre-season; look for them to be right there in the end, once again competing with a Farragut/Brentwood/Houston for the state title.

All in good fun. I tried to just mention very high caliber players from Liverpool and Holland and not take a stab at weaknesses/weaker players of each team. Best of luck to both teams!

dins

Difference in opinion. West is a good team, but I thought their only offensive opportunities were on throw-ins. They have outstanding players--Jack, Tanner, Patrick--but I thought Bearden took it to 'em last night. Also, I'm getting old, and my eyes aren't that great anymore, so I could be way off. Good luck to you and your team.

Dins8 Since you seem every year to go to all of the Bearden games, I am assumming since I don't know who you are ,that you may be a Bearden ex Player but I'll bet more on a ex-players father....so that being said you lean towards Bearden ALways ,so yes I am saying you are biased. I think this year I'll go with Farragut. They have played well with the exception of Oak Ridge , which in my opinion was a coaching error because they played 3 games in 4 days at the beginning of the season on a huge field on a wet night. I wouldn't have done that , I am sure they were tired at Oak Ridge and it showed in a tie. The paper said the shots were 9-2 for Farragut but they have to go in to count.

Coaches Turner and Culbreth both said this was a rebuilding year, and I think they are trying the quiet attack route. I still prefer Culbreth's coaching over Turners although who can argue they are two of the best, so I will take Farragut's rebuilding over Bearden's.

"Coaches Turner and Culbreth both said this was a rebuilding year, and I think they are trying the quiet attack route. I still prefer Culbreth's coaching over Turners although who can argue they are two of the best, so I will take Farragut's rebuilding over Bearden's."

Is it coaching or talent level?

These coaches have the best talent on their JV and Varsity rosters every year in the Knoxville area. Most of their JV players would start at other schools in the area.

Whats the date for their match?

Friday, April 3 @ Bearden

You can find schedules for most of the area teams on one of the threads at the top of this forum. Click on the link and scroll down to where it says something like "Schedules we have", or something like that, and then just pick the team.

"Coaches Turner and Culbreth both said this was a rebuilding year, and I think they are trying the quiet attack route. I still prefer Culbreth's coaching over Turners although who can argue they are two of the best, so I will take Farragut's rebuilding over Bearden's."

Is it coaching or talent level?

These coaches have the best talent on their JV and Varsity rosters every year in the Knoxville area. Most of their JV players would start at other schools in the area.

Agreed both these teams have great talent but they did before Turner and Culbreth got there and Neither had any State Championships. Since those two arrived they have won 6 in the last 8 years. Many great players do not make a team, someone has to cordinate the talent or they are just many great players who never won anything. I could list teams in any sport that have the best athletes but aren't put together by caoches who can get the most from the talent and control egos. East tn ref ever heard of the New York Yankees? Talent only goes so far and I think those two could take most teams and get alot out of them.

The Thread is "Clear front runner in East Tn." Sooo, I'll take a team that not many are considering in East Tn. and thats Cleveland. Last year they made a nice run at state, with basically the same team back.

Granted this team does not have the linage that a Farragut or Bearden has, but slowly they are becoming a very good HS soccer program in both the Boys and the Girls side. The one draw back that I see with this team is their strength of schedule. They could very well go unbeaten in the regular season. Having only quality games with Dalton(Ga), Indy, Bearden and Soddy (I had to throw Soddy In there /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> ). Other than that it should be home free for the Raiders.

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I thought I would add Cleveland does play a few more quality opponents, they played Chattanooga Christian to a 0-0 tie in a preseason scrimmage, they also played Baylor and Cookeville in the Cleveland tournament. Coming up they play Bearden and Dalton on the schedule and there is usually some really strong competition in the Oak Ridge tournament, I know they play Science Hill, Independence, and Christian Brothers in that tournament who are all usually pretty stout. Unfortunately, the district isn't very strong with McMinn Co. down this year. Also, coach Brose is trying to get Alcoa to come down and play to make up for the game that got rained out at the Cleveland tournament.