Manassas (25-2) Draws Humboldt (33-0)...Let the Games Begin!

dollar1906

I have seen post stating that Ronnie Carter has a thing against west Tn basketball and it is a conspiracy and all that garbage. The truth is that if two teams from the same region make the tourny, then they are put in opposite brackets so that the only way they can face each other again is if they both make the finals. They are never purposely put in opposite sides because of the percieved view of being the best two teams. As far as the game goes--I happen to think it is great that these two are playing the first game. they have been clammoring for each other all year, so I guess they both got what they wanted--they need to just deal with it and let the game be played. I personally think with the Summertown defense and the way they shut down Cully, they have a legit shot at the finals based on the draw they got. I think they can beat CA, even though they made Cwood look very average. By the way--here is a little trivia for everyone on here---Who is the only team that Ron Mercer ever played against that he didn't dunk it at least once--a team that to this day he still calls the best defensively coached team he has ever seen? That would be Summertown during the days of Jason Burlison and Jeremy Aaron. Just because you are a great team doesnt mean that someone cannot run a gimmick defense and pull off an improbable upset. How would the "two best teams in the state" play against an inverted triangle and 2 or a diamond and one or box and one---I am sure someone will try something gimmicky to stop them.

A gimmick defense such as that one won't help against Humboldt...Way too many weapons...It's not a one or two man show...All 5 starters have been in the double figures routinely as well as a couple of guys off the bench...

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok his wife was with him and they both started shaking there heads as they saw the news! is that enough or need i say more!

I was there as well, where were you sitting cause I was there as well and should have stayed and chatted with you about the draw?

you will see it all. You will certainly see a press, you will see a half court trap, you will see a man, and maybe some 2-3, but only if foul trouble comes. Humbolt has the size, but Manassas is faster. No need to waste that advantage sagging in the paint in a 2-3. Manassas will try to keep the tempo up, get in the passing lanes for steals, and expect Buckner to be more defensive minded and assist producing. Manassas is going to just try to beat Humbolt to the basket on offense with quickness and create havoc with traps and steals on defense. Should be a great game, and the truth is if either team was going to win it all, then they would in all liklihood have had to face one another eventually, so who cares about the draw - it is time to just get it done.

yes thats what manassas is going 2 do! lol! lol!

I think Humboldt will benefit alot if we can draw Buckner away from the goal on some plays...say they play man. idk who he'll gaurd maybe Dunbar?If we could put him in the corner like we do on some plays & play a two man game with Tevin & Charles..... that should be very hard for Manassas defend.

I think Humboldt can attack this Manassas team in many different but effective ways.

To be honest, it would NOT surprise me if they put Buckner on Tevin just to see what would happen. Supposedly Buckner has gotten more athletic since last year I saw him, so I'm sure that their coach would try it.

Thank you for an honest reply, but we both know we would have rather seen this game in the finals, just cause the atmosphere on Saturday with the packed house and everyone else watching! Gotta love March Madness!

Sure, but both teams better forget all that stuff right about ....NOW. You can't do anything about what you can't control, and the more talk about that means the less concentration on the assignment at hand - win the game that you have been given. I actually think this favors Manassas a little, too. Humbolt would have surely had a larger crowd on the weekend. Now, some of that will probably be lost. Also, despit what some on this thread say, Manassas has been here before. Last year in the boro, plus this year Manassas played a couple games in St Louis that were televised and packed with the other team's crowd, and in Memphis played a couple times against some very good AAA teams and the place was a zoo - far more exciting than the Lake County game. So, my point is, Humbolt is VERY good, but it would have been very advantageous for them to have had a couple games under their belt in the Boro to get a feel for it all before being tossed into it against Manassas on day One at 10:00 am against arguably the other best team in the state, when that team certainly has more experience at this than Humbolt does. I'm not syaing that Manassas will win because of this, I'm just saying it is a legitimate dynamic and I think it gives Manassas an advantage.

A gimmick defense such as that one won't help against Humboldt...Way too many weapons...It's not a one or two man show...All 5 starters have been in the double figures routinely as well as a couple of guys off the bench...

The diamond box and one would definitely not work at all cause like red said too many weapons. You might sut down one with it but with the diamond backside rebound is open all day and too many good looks are there if you spread the floor right. Plus I have not seen many high school teams in the last ten years that are disciplined enough to run that kind of tough defense, not saying you cant just that those are not easy.

Sure, but both teams better forget all that stuff right about ....NOW. You can't do anything about what you can't control, and the more talk about that means the less concentration on the assignment at hand - win the game that you have been given. I actually think this favors Manassas a little, too. Humbolt would have surely had a larger crowd on the weekend. Now, some of that will probably be lost. Also, despit what some on this thread say, Manassas has been here before. Last year in the boro, plus this year Manassas played a couple games in St Louis that were televised and packed with the other team's crowd, and in Memphis played a couple times against some very good AAA teams and the place was a zoo - far more exciting than the Lake County game. So, my point is, Humbolt is VERY good, but it would have been very advantageous for them to have had a couple games under their belt in the Boro to get a feel for it all before being tossed into it against Manassas on day One at 10:00 am against arguably the other best team in the state, when that team certainly has more experience at this than Humbolt does. I'm not syaing that Manassas will win because of this, I'm just saying it is a legitimate dynamic and I think it gives Manassas an advantage.

You make some interesting points..

I will give you the benefit of the doubt since you are pretty new to the board (58 posts). Humboldt has been to state 3 of the last 4 years /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> So playing in the Boro isn't new to some of our players. I will also say you have good points throughout your post too.

To be honest, it would NOT surprise me if they put Buckner on Tevin just to see what would happen. Supposedly Buckner has gotten more athletic since last year I saw him, so I'm sure that their coach would try it.

Well if that happens,i'd like to see Tevin take it right at Buckner....see what happens,the worst thing that could happen is Buckner sends his stuff to the 3rd row.Maybe if we attack him we could get him in some foul trouble.

Remember now we have been to the boro three of the past four years and our seniors may not have played alot but have the experience.

ok the whole deal with a gimmick defense is if your players are smart enough to recognize it--have you ever seen an inverted triangle and two? Just to let ya know what it is is instead of it being one guy at the line and two on two on the blocks, it is two at the line and one under the basket. By running that, you deny the pass from the top underneath and it is very confusing for the offensive players. Poeple may want to look up Mitch Osborne from Harlan Iowa and look at the way he runs gimmick defense. Best I have ever seen at it. He has even been know not to invert the triangle but just to twist it and have two guys on one side and one on the other side (of the lane that is). I am sure someone can pop out a d that can confuse the Humbolt guys---dont crow too much until you get the gold ball!!!