Chatt Christian Proposal to change format

jvaughan

There are lot's of problems with 'the way it is now'.

One, today on Mar. 17th we are 32 days since the last day of the regular season, and have played 6 games with 3 to follow. Why does it take so long to play 9 freakin' games?

Two, the girls and boys are separated why? They don't separate baseball from softball or boys track from girls track. Other than the Bolivar coach that's coaching both teams, who else does this benefit? They could play the tournament simultaneously like they do district and region tournaments or have 2 separate venues like Belmont and Lipscomb.

Three, basketball is the longest season of all and there is no off season except that dead period. AAU tryouts are under way right now, they'll play up until team camp in June, two weeks for dead period, and play until school starts. In the fall the kids play in fall leagues that aren't associated with the school until practice starts in the middle of October. Then they play from mid November to mid February before the post season even starts! It's ridiculous, especially for the multi sport athletes.

It could stay the same with some common sense application. Every level could be completed in a week. Districts the first week, regions the second week and state the third. That's 3 games a week for 3 weeks from end of districts until a state champ is crowned. How hard is that? We should have been finished with the whole shooting match by March 7th.

If you're wondering what sport is suffering the most, it's baseball and the other spring sports. They get all of the pre-season taken away just playing through the district tournament. They have the shortest regular season that there is anyway and then the in season summer baseball teams are completely ignored while we have 21 days of 'team camp'. What other sport gets the kind of time that basketball gets? Why do the other sports have to suffer?

$$$$$

The real problem is that adults are making all the decisions...Let the kids decide what sport they want to play and for how long. If a kid wants to play basketball 12 months out of the year then let them.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am glad someone was smart enough to shoot down this dumb proposal. The format is just fine the way it is. The girls earned the right to have there own tournement week just like the boys. As for baseball it kicked off without a hitch a week and a half ago, one has nothing to do with the other. I have a solution for people who dont like the length of the basketball season, when you have had enough simply stop going to the games. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I am glad someone was smart enough to shoot down this dumb proposal. The format is just fine the way it is. The girls earned the right to have there own tournement week just like the boys. As for baseball it kicked off without a hitch a week and a half ago, one has nothing to do with the other. I have a solution for people who dont like the length of the basketball season, when you have had enough simply stop going to the games. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

What a short sighted and selfish comment.

What's going to happen, is that kids will be forced to choose one sport over the other. For a basketball factory like Bolivar that might not have a line of demarcation between basketball and any other sport, that's fine. For teams like Harpeth who send as many or more to the next level in baseball and have multiple players that play both sports, they are forced to choose. This years team that went to sectionals had 9 baseball players on that team. They've played 9 baseball games in a week and a half and basketball can't seem to get that many games played in 5 weeks. It's just poor organization and, in my view, a complete and utter lack of common sense. How does the number of games in the season get reduced on the one hand and the time it takes to play the games get longer on the other? Basketball guys aren't in condition to play more than 2 games a week? Mississippi State just played 4 in 4 days. All that has to be done is for an 8 team district, region or state to have games at the high seeds home on Monday, play the semis on Thursday and the championship on Saturday. Tuesday, Friday and Saturday for the girls. Do that 3 weeks and color it done. As is we're averaging one game every 5.3 days. That's crazy and spring sports are sacrificed because of it.

Small schools in A and AA have to share the resources. All hands on deck to field athletic teams that can compete. Harpeth has around 625 kids. Bolivar has around 900. I can see why you don't have a clue as to the problem that is created when basketball season lasts 157 days from start of practice to end of state and baseball lasts 96 days and there's a 40 day overlap with basketball to boot. Basketball should have been over 2 weeks ago and name anybody besides Bolivar who gives a crap about both tournaments, which according to TSSAA are BOTH losing money.

What a short sighted and selfish comment.

What's going to happen, is that kids will be forced to choose one sport over the other. For a basketball factory like Bolivar that might not have a line of demarcation between basketball and any other sport, that's fine. For teams like Harpeth who send as many or more to the next level in baseball and have multiple players that play both sports, they are forced to choose. This years team that went to sectionals had 9 baseball players on that team. They've played 9 baseball games in a week and a half and basketball can't seem to get that many games played in 5 weeks. It's just poor organization and, in my view, a complete and utter lack of common sense. How does the number of games in the season get reduced on the one hand and the time it takes to play the games get longer on the other? Basketball guys aren't in condition to play more than 2 games a week? Mississippi State just played 4 in 4 days. All that has to be done is for an 8 team district, region or state to have games at the high seeds home on Monday, play the semis on Thursday and the championship on Saturday. Tuesday, Friday and Saturday for the girls. Do that 3 weeks and color it done. As is we're averaging one game every 5.3 days. That's crazy and spring sports are sacrificed because of it.

Small schools in A and AA have to share the resources. All hands on deck to field athletic teams that can compete. Harpeth has around 625 kids. Bolivar has around 900. I can see why you don't have a clue as to the problem that is created when basketball season lasts 157 days from start of practice to end of state and baseball lasts 96 days and there's a 40 day overlap with basketball to boot. Basketball should have been over 2 weeks ago and name anybody besides Bolivar who gives a crap about both tournaments, which according to TSSAA are BOTH losing money.

Just because I dont share your point of view I'm short sighted and selfish? Thats funny, and why the personal attack on Bolivar? Last year our baseball team was one game away from playing for the state championship so does that mean we are a baseball factory too? We have two different points of view but unlike you I dont turn on the haterade. As for your dislike towards Bolivar TSSAA has fixed it so that you do not have to endure anymore Bolivar beat downs.

I'd love to stay on here and chat some more but the Bolivar basketball factory is busy attempting to win another gold ball. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

/huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> Dude. Basketball factory is a compliment. Grow some thicker skin. My 'haterade' is towards the TSSAA if anybody. If short sighted and selfish bothers you that much, give me some points in favor of keeping the current system other than 'that's what we've always done'. I called you short sighted and selfish because you're perfectly willing to throw spring sports under the bus in the name of extending basketball season. If we were actually playing basketball games during the post season instead of sitting on our hands 80% of the time, I might agree with your point of view.

I agree it's all about money, but it could be more equitable without much effort and the same amount of money can be made in a shorter amount of time. In engineering school we called that efficiency. TSSAA could be a little more efficient in the scheduling of basketball postseason in my opinion.

Alabama has been through in basketball for weeks.