Farragut #1 in Two National Polls

PabloSanchez

This is by no means a knock at Farragut because for all any of us know they may be the best team in the us. But seriously, national high school polls of any kind in any sport should be taken with a grain of salt. How can you legitimately compare teams from across this nation when the caliber of play from area to area varies so greatly. Also, there may be some podunk team in Nowhere that gets no national coverage that might be an absolute stunningly great team. You just don't KNOW. This is true tin football, basketball, baseball track or any other sport.

I'm not a big fan of polls in general because they are so political (believe me I know I was on the inside of them for 20 years so I know), especially in high school.

That's why you play the championships all the way to the state level. Until you play beyond that you can't really have a national No. 1. You could probably gather 50 truly impressive high school teams. Make for a great tourney, wouldn't it!!!!????

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is by no means a knock at Farragut because for all any of us know they may be the best team in the us. But seriously, national high school polls of any kind in any sport should be taken with a grain of salt. How can you legitimately compare teams from across this nation when the caliber of play from area to area varies so greatly. Also, there may be some podunk team in Nowhere that gets no national coverage that might be an absolute stunningly great team. You just don't KNOW. This is true tin football, basketball, baseball track or any other sport.

I'm not a big fan of polls in general because they are so political (believe me I know I was on the inside of them for 20 years so I know), especially in high school.

That's why you play the championships all the way to the state level. Until you play beyond that you can't really have a national No. 1. You could probably gather 50 truly impressive high school teams. Make for a great tourney, wouldn't it!!!!????

They won't be number 1 for long. Independence 8 Farragut 2.

If you are ranked Number 1 in USA Today or Baseball America, you ARE the number 1 team in the country. These polls have years and years of scouting the country for great high school baseball teams.

If you are ranked Number 1 in USA Today or Baseball America, you ARE the number 1 team in the country. These polls have years and years of scouting the country for great high school baseball teams.

To my understanding it also has a lot to do with a coach or someone that follows the program to nominate, or bring their name to each polling committee's attention. There are too many high schools to objectively rank the top 20, 50, 100, or even 1000 probably. Polls are fun and if you are in multiple ones you probably are pretty darn good. Polls overall are worthless and that is never more true than in high school polls.

To my understanding it also has a lot to do with a coach or someone that follows the program to nominate, or bring their name to each polling committee's attention. There are too many high schools to objectively rank the top 20, 50, 100, or even 1000 probably. Polls are fun and if you are in multiple ones you probably are pretty darn good. Polls overall are worthless and that is never more true than in high school polls.

Ok, you call Phil Clark and tell him he isn't the 1995 National Champion and tell me what he says, or go to Valdosta Georgia and tell them thier National Footaball Championships don't mean anything, or go to Oak Hill in Virginia and take thier banners down.....your logic is crazy. Don't you think professionals with years of experience talking to pro scouts and college coaches are qualified to determine who the best in the country are. I do

Ok, you call Phil Clark and tell him he isn't the 1995 National Champion and tell me what he says, or go to Valdosta Georgia and tell them thier National Footaball Championships don't mean anything, or go to Oak Hill in Virginia and take thier banners down.....your logic is crazy. Don't you think professionals with years of experience talking to pro scouts and college coaches are qualified to determine who the best in the country are. I do

I was a big fan of the 1995 Gtown national championship team. One of their coaches, the pitching coach, coached my 10-14 year old baseball team so I had the honor to go out the red devil field and practice with them some. Also got to put on that mammoth ring they got for being national champions. They know, as well as everyone else, that they were ranked number 1 in the nation after all games were played so by default, they are national champions. They didn't win any national tournament and probably didn't play more than 2 or 3 other teams that were also ranked. My logic might be crazy but the way I see it if you don't WIN a national championship your nothing more than an assumption.

I was a big fan of the 1995 Gtown national championship team. One of their coaches, the pitching coach, coached my 10-14 year old baseball team so I had the honor to go out the red devil field and practice with them some. Also got to put on that mammoth ring they got for being national champions. They know, as well as everyone else, that they were ranked number 1 in the nation after all games were played so by default, they are national champions. They didn't win any national tournament and probably didn't play more than 2 or 3 other teams that were also ranked. My logic might be crazy but the way I see it if you don't WIN a national championship your nothing more than an assumption.

If you are such a big fan of Gtown, then you would know that they DID play in the Upper Deck Classic in San Diego that season. At the time, this tournament was considered the Number 1 tournament in the country, with multiple teams ranked in various polls. It was because of this tournament that Gtown won the national championship. They went 38-0 and won this tournament.

Maybe you should know your facts before you get on here

If you are such a big fan of Gtown, then you would know that they DID play in the Upper Deck Classic in San Diego that season. At the time, this tournament was considered the Number 1 tournament in the country, with multiple teams ranked in various polls. It was because of this tournament that Gtown won the national championship. They went 38-0 and won this tournament.

Maybe you should know your facts before you get on here

I did know they played in the upper deck classic. And it was considered a very prestigious national tournament. However, if they had lost a game after that tournament, they would not have been considered national champions. The upper deck classic wasn't the "national championship". Winning that tournament was a great feat but that doesn't make them national champions. I can go get the season pass, signed by the entire team and post the whole schedule if you'd like. Doesn't change the fact that high school polls are totally subjective. Agree to disagree?

I did know they played in the upper deck classic. And it was considered a very prestigious national tournament. However, if they had lost a game after that tournament, they would not have been considered national champions. The upper deck classic wasn't the "national championship". Winning that tournament was a great feat but that doesn't make them national champions. I can go get the season pass, signed by the entire team and post the whole schedule if you'd like. Doesn't change the fact that high school polls are totally subjective. Agree to disagree?

LOL...first you say they didn't play anybody, now you say you have season pass....you are losing credibility by the minute. Bottom line is that National Championships are rewarded by USA Today and Baseball America every season and if your schools gets recognized by either you should be very proud of the accomplishment

LOL...first you say they didn't play anybody, now you say you have season pass....you are losing credibility by the minute. Bottom line is that National Championships are rewarded by USA Today and Baseball America every season and if your schools gets recognized by either you should be very proud of the accomplishment

Please Borobaseball, point out to me where I said "they didn't play anyone". I'd love for you to show me where that is. I said they probably didn't play more than 2 or 3 ranked teams all year. Without looking up the 1995 upper deck classic or looking for that season pass, I would venture to say they played about 4 games out there. Typical for a tournament like that. Maybe all 4 opponents were ranked, maybe not. A large portion of their games where local games like they are every year. I didn't take anything away from them, they were awarded the national championship by usa today. That makes them national champions in usa today's eyes and everyone that wants to acknowledge it. They didn't win a tournament to claim that title, despite you saying the upper deck classic determined that. They were a great great team, and possibly the best in the country. I'm fine with you thinking of them as national champions, why does it bother you so much that I feel high school polls are subjective?