High School JV teams

nolcoach1

JV teams are your future you shouldn??™t just dismiss them nonchalantly. I practice my JV and Varsity separately and for the same amount of time. I also have inter-team scrimmages and mix Varsity and JV up. Live action is some of the best practice, I think it sticks with players more when you show them instead of just telling them. You could talk all day but when they see what runners do in situations they remember it better. It gives your coaching staff a heads up on what the team needs to work on too.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JV teams are your future you shouldn??™t just dismiss them nonchalantly. I practice my JV and Varsity separately and for the same amount of time. I also have inter-team scrimmages and mix Varsity and JV up. Live action is some of the best practice, I think it sticks with players more when you show them instead of just telling them. You could talk all day but when they see what runners do in situations they remember it better. It gives your coaching staff a heads up on what the team needs to work on too.

That is great that you do that, our coach does that too. The problem arises is in "real game play." We come across several teams that don't have JV teams or if the weather/rescheduling only allows time for one game, of course the JV team sits the bench. And I know for a fact that the majority of these girls love softball and want to be out there playing. Do you see a future for more JV play? What about JV tournaments? I know that no one can make all schools have JV teams, but maybe if somehow all of the coaches could get together and encourage each other to have these teams. I know that there is a MTCA and someone could address this at one of their meetings. I know it wouldn't be easy to do this and there are several factors involved. Lack of funding, lack of coaching, smaller schools with not as many players to choose from, etc, make it difficult. I just hate to see these girls discouraged and disappointed.

Lack of funding, lack of coaching, smaller schools with not as many players to choose from, etc, make it difficult. I just hate to see these girls discouraged and disappointed.

Your right, lack of coaching is one of the biggest factors. It is hard to have the time unless you have more assistant coaches. I even have a few managers that I let practice with us. They love the game and they have so much heart but they didn't make the team. If they are willing to learn I will teach them.

Both AA districts in this area have one opponent that teams should use at least some of their JV/younger players against. Sequatchie tonight had 7 players who'd not started in either of the prior games get time in the field and at the plate, five of those had three at-bats, two had one at-bat. One was 3-3 and even though the opponent wasn't strong that may help her confidence. A freshman pitcher threw all three innings. In some districts there probably aren't any opponents at that level, but there are usually chances to play backups after getting 10 or more runs in the first or first two innings especially in tournaments where there might be a wide range of opponent quality. The starters earn their playing time and should get priority but there ought to be innings available for backups.

I wish all of the schools that are large enough would have a JV team. It sure would make it nice for all of the girls to get to play - at least once a week. I am glad that our coach makes sure all of the players are treated the same as far as going to away games, uniforms etc. I do think though that the parents sometimes don't like travelling to the away games when they know their child is not going to get to play. I guess they don't have to go, but then again in the back of your mind you always wonder - "what if they get put in for one inning and I miss it!" Hang in there parent's of JV, support your kids whether they are playing or not. It is hard to know they are disappointed by not getting to play, and it does hurt, but this to will pass. In the end, whether they get much play time or not, they will be glad they were apart of a team, and they will know you were there for them whether they played or not.

My daughter is a sophomore and apparently a JV player only. I plan on being at every game the "team" plays, because she is a member of the team. I had this philosophy when my son played baseball in high school. From the time he was a freshman until he graduated, I was at almost all of the games. I want my kids to know that I support THEM no matter what they do--whether it being cheering in the dugout or playing on the field. I wish more parents would feel this way. I feel the same way when it comes to booster club meetings, working fundraisers, etc. There are some parents that don't want to help unless their kid plays and then when their kid plays, they don't want to miss anything. Every parent needs to support their child no matter what he/she does.

My daughter is a sophomore and apparently a JV player only. I plan on being at every game the "team" plays, because she is a member of the team. I had this philosophy when my son played baseball in high school. From the time he was a freshman until he graduated, I was at almost all of the games. I want my kids to know that I support THEM no matter what they do--whether it being cheering in the dugout or playing on the field. I wish more parents would feel this way. I feel the same way when it comes to booster club meetings, working fundraisers, etc. There are some parents that don't want to help unless their kid plays and then when their kid plays, they don't want to miss anything. Every parent needs to support their child no matter what he/she does.

We have some of the same things going on here also! But with our team it is with the girls themselves! It seems our "varsity players" treat our "jv players" as if they are to "do as they are told" by the varsity girls! To many of our jv girls this is disrespectful and demeaning! Is this common everywhere? I dont know if our coach sees this happening or really knows how the girls on the team dont "get along" or support each other!

Sounds like you have the right idea. It is hard though, when you know your child is disappointed because they are not playing more (and yes us parents are disappointed too). I have been on all sides of this issue and it is tough. Sometimes we all get so caught up in the emotions of it all, we forget that it is a "game" and these are kids that are playing a game. For the most part, the coaches are there because they love the game. We will not always agree with every decision they make, but they are human and I feel the majority of them make decisions on what is best for the team, not individual players. Do I want my daughter out there playing every inning of every game? Of course I do! But I also want to be realistic. As long as my daughter gets a chance to prove herself, sink or swim, it is up to her - then I am okay with that.

While our coach does give the JV squad and the Varsity the same uniforms, sweats, bat bags or anything else that goes with it and he does try to have a jv game every time there is a varsity game. What I don't approve of is how during varsity games all players are expected to be in dugout cheering and watching but when it comes to the jv game the varsity is not expected to stay in dugout and watch or if a home game they don't even have to be there for start of game. I think that is just poor taste. I think they should be treated as an equal team, everything should go both ways. They practice together ride buses together do fund raising together they should route for each other equally.

I agree with you. My daughter's biggest problem is that the varsity softball players will not cheer for them or even stay with the team when the JV team is playing. However, the JV team is expected to endlessly cheer for the varsity. They all are on the team--some just play more than others do. I hope this changes, but it hasn't in the number of years I've watched softball.

We have some of the same things going on here also! But with our team it is with the girls themselves! It seems our "varsity players" treat our "jv players" as if they are to "do as they are told" by the varsity girls! To many of our jv girls this is disrespectful and demeaning! Is this common everywhere? I dont know if our coach sees this happening or really knows how the girls on the team dont "get along" or support each other!

Ouch! That is not right. I am sure there is that problem on a lot of teams. I think some teams want to stress senior leadership, but it can get out of hand. There is a way for upperclassmen to be team leaders, but it should always be done with respect and only when necessary, preferably overseen by a coach. A coach may allow seniors to make certain decisions, but they should not be there to boss everyone else around. There is a fine line there that should not be crossed. When you are dealing with teenage girls it can be tough. I have three daughters and from past experience the "meanness" is alway done way out of sight and earshot of adults, I am sure this is true in any instance where you have a group of girls. I hope that my daughter would not be guilty of this and believe me I am aware that it exists and I always encourage her to be a team player, but I will always keep my eyes open and if I find out she is guilty of this . . . By the way, our JV team did great last night!!!

Ouch! That is not right. I am sure there is that problem on a lot of teams. I think some teams want to stress senior leadership, but it can get out of hand. There is a way for upperclassmen to be team leaders, but it should always be done with respect and only when necessary, preferably overseen by a coach. A coach may allow seniors to make certain decisions, but they should not be there to boss everyone else around. There is a fine line there that should not be crossed. When you are dealing with teenage girls it can be tough. I have three daughters and from past experience the "meanness" is alway done way out of sight and earshot of adults, I am sure this is true in any instance where you have a group of girls. I hope that my daughter would not be guilty of this and believe me I am aware that it exists and I always encourage her to be a team player, but I will always keep my eyes open and if I find out she is guilty of this . . . By the way, our JV team did great last night!!!

Your daughter had no part of it!! We (on our team) know who it is and it gets way out of hand!! Like I have said before if they could get along and worry about the game, we could win more! (I know there will always be the silly drama between girls) Our team lacks discipline. Senior leadership is one thing but a "power trip" by some that abuse it is crazy and should be handled by coaches! I know the coaches dont see it because they are focused on the game, which is where our "senior leadership" should have their focus!