TSSAA Class A State Championship Game

MrTSSAA

FYI---I can compare him to Harrison Barnes. Barnes is a junior at Ames High and is ranked as #1 recruit NATIONALLY in his class. He had ten times the maturity level as does Buckner. I am sorry if that offends you, just stating the obvious. i ALSO SAID THAT i WASN'T BASHING ON HIM. I watched tape of him all day today and as an official I can tell you that many many times I would have either tossed him or T'd him up for his actions. I can say this because I am an official. I never o9nce said he was a bad kid--he may be a great person off the court, just seems to me that he lacks some maturity, thats all.

What did Buckner do that deserved 2 technicals? Was Buckner warned about his actions? Did the official give the coach a reason for the technical? (I can answer that because the coach stated that he didn't give him a reason for the second technical) There were kids throughout the tournament that did the same or worst things and they didn't receive 2 technicals. There was something fishy about that 2nd technical. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI---I can compare him to Harrison Barnes. Barnes is a junior at Ames High and is ranked as #1 recruit NATIONALLY in his class. He had ten times the maturity level as does Buckner. I am sorry if that offends you, just stating the obvious. i ALSO SAID THAT i WASN'T BASHING ON HIM. I watched tape of him all day today and as an official I can tell you that many many times I would have either tossed him or T'd him up for his actions. I can say this because I am an official. I never o9nce said he was a bad kid--he may be a great person off the court, just seems to me that he lacks some maturity, thats all.

WELL YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN AT THE GAME AND YOU WOULD HAVE SEEN OTHER KIDS DOING THE SAME OR MORE. So don't just go by what you see on TV.

I watched the techs 5x on tape earlier........also had someone else watch them. Our conclusion was we have seen WAY worse this year at MANY games. Also concluded most of the fouls called in all the games played on Sat. would not even be bothered with at the college level . As for staring the ref down....he wasn't glaring, he had a look of disbelief. The look on his face was NOT belligerent. Also I am not from Memphis.Not all kids mature at the same time.

I watched the techs 5x on tape earlier........also had someone else watch them. Our conclusion was we have seen WAY worse this year at MANY games. Also concluded most of the fouls called in all the games played on Sat. would not even be bothered with at the college level . Not all kids mature at the same time.

Gosh this women is smart. Thanks adsmom

I watched the techs 5x on tape earlier........also had someone else watch them. Our conclusion was we have seen WAY worse this year at MANY games. Also concluded most of the fouls called in all the games played on Sat. would not even be bothered with at the college level . As for staring the ref down....he wasn't glaring, he had a look of disbelief. The look on his face was NOT belligerent. Also I am not from Memphis.Not all kids mature at the same time.

Once Buckner got his 1st Technical, regardless of whether it was warranted......Buckner should have viewed that as a warning--that the refs were going to call things rather tight. No nonsense or "extracurricular activity."

and then for the second----Buckner, who is signed to play at Ole Miss next year, was called for his second technical foul of the game midway through the third quarter after lightly slapping Temple's Ben Montgomery after a tip-in.

What did Buckner do that deserved 2 technicals? Was Buckner warned about his actions? Did the official give the coach a reason for the technical? (I can answer that because the coach stated that he didn't give him a reason for the second technical) There were kids throughout the tournament that did the same or worst things and they didn't receive 2 technicals. There was something fishy about that 2nd technical. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

There were kids throughout the tournament that did the same or worst things and they didn't receive 2 technicals

I can promise you that not one player from Summertown got involved in this garbage. Coach Trotter wouldn't tolerate it. Now what?

Once Buckner got his 1st Technical, regardless of whether it was warranted......Buckner should have viewed that as a warning--that the refs were going to call things rather tight. No nonsense or "extracurricular activity."

and then for the second----Buckner, who is signed to play at Ole Miss next year, was called for his second technical foul of the game midway through the third quarter after lightly slapping Temple's Ben Montgomery after a tip-in.

I know....said I watched it 5x....he had his back turned away from Montgomery when he drew his hands back which resulted in as you say "lightly slapping". People on here are acting like he turned around and smacked the kid across the face. Heck I'll go watch again to make it 6x and see if I feel any different. Just wanted to add, this is just my opinion....don't expect all to agree with me but after reading the boards last night before I had time to watch the tapes, I thought the kid had literally wailed on someone.... the way people were talking you would think it was a UFC fight. Just watched it again...Buckner was fouled by Montgomery before Buckner did anything...maybe ref should have been paying more attention to Montgomery's arm jammed in Buckner's face....which by the way not saying the kid did that on purpose.

The point is that once he got the first one, he should have been on his best behavior after that. I agree with the call, simple as that. I am an official myself and there were actually moments earlier in the game when I would have given him a second. The slamming of the ball is not demonstrative of good sportsmanship, no matter who does it.

I know....said I watched it 5x....he had his back turned away from Montgomery when he drew his hands back which resulted in as you say "lightly slapping". People on here are acting like he turned around and smacked the kid across the face. Heck I'll go watch again to make it 6x and see if I feel any different. Just wanted to add, this is just my opinion....don't expect all to agree with me but after reading the boards last night before I had time to watch the tapes, I thought the kid had literally wailed on someone.... the way people were talking you would think it was a UFC fight. Just watched it again...Buckner was fouled by Montgomery before Buckner did anything...maybe ref should have been paying more attention to Montgomery's arm jammed in Buckner's face....which by the way not saying the kid did that on purpose.

watch the tape for me again. look for Buckner falling to the ground a few times. #5 and #54 went under him everytime he would jump! they would try to cut his legs off. #5 didn't even look for the ball the time Buckner fell on his hip real hard! nobody will talk about this. UC did the same thing last year cut his legs out when he would jump. people dont wont to talk about this stuff!

The point is that once he got the first one, he should have been on his best behavior after that. I agree with the call, simple as that. I am an official myself and there were actually moments earlier in the game when I would have given him a second. The slamming of the ball is not demonstrative of good sportsmanship, no matter who does it.

I'm not saying he doesn't need to mature a little more....MOST kids at that age DO need to mature a bit more, not saying I don't agree with some of it. You do have the rare super composed players....I am aware of this also. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> I just personally think people calling him a thug, classless and other stuff is going waaaay overboard. People need to think back to when they were 17 or so. Watch tapes of the teams that lost and see their faces....they look like exactly what they are...heartbroken KIDS. I love hs sports but I try to remember at the end of the day these are all kids and every kid has room for improvement...adults as well.

those refs were out to get Buckner from the start! i saw a kid flip Joe Northington over in the grace game nothing was called! i hate that grown men are picking on this kid!

watch the tape for me again. look for Buckner falling to the ground a few times. #5 and #54 went under him everytime he would jump! they would try to cut his legs off. #5 didn't even look for the ball the time Buckner fell on his hip real hard! nobody will talk about this. UC did the same thing last year cut his legs out when he would jump. people dont wont to talk about this stuff!

I saw it all...so did the person who also watched the tape and they aren't even a Manassas fan. He was fouled many times under the goal when they had 3 on him. I just looked at the tape AGAIN....B was fouled before they called a tech on him....and B was partially turned when he threw his arm back.