high school fast pitch

sportsfan099

Any coach that would give a straight steal and a bunt at the same time is an idiot. Just for that reason.

lol I thought the same thing. I have never given the steal sign with a bunt. On a bunt from any position the runner has to be aware where the balls because the risk of pop ups. If the runner was a speedy I would have just showed bunt and pulled back to move the defense out of pocket.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree. A fast runner stealing while a good bunter bunts usually gets the runner to 3rd base. Also, the defense is sometimes put in an awkward situation because they don't expect the batter to bunt while a runner is stealing. I've seen both runners be safe on this play. All runners should be taught to check where the ball is hit if a steal is on, whether the batter bunts or swings away. Yes, there is a risk involved...but that's what makes the game more exciting and unpredictable. I certainly wouldn't call a coach an idiot for trying such a play.

All runners should be taught to check where the ball is hit if a steal is on, whether the batter bunts or swings away.

I thought it but I never said the word idiot but I agree that it??™s not a play I would call because of the pop up factor. Hit and run is risky too but it is a little different because she is swinging away & the runner would have more time to get back if the ball was popped up(out field or so). They all have risks but bunting is tricky for most players, thay can make contact but not everyone can put it in the dirt. All runners should check where the ball is if it's hit or bunted I agree but when you tell a player to steal they should have one job and that??™s to get to the next base. They shouldn??™t look up until they get to that base. When you tell a batter to bunt the runner should know what's going on and know she is shooting for third if possible but as a coach I have never told my runner to steal & batter to bunt at the same time. I let runner know the situation and if you have worked with your runners they know what you expect and they know their speed and if they can push it. On a bunt my girls are in a forward motion but watching that bunt until it hits dirt. Do you see the difference in straight bunt/steal and the runner knowing her job when the bunt is laid down? I??™m sure that??™s why the girl was thrown out before she could get back to 1st, she was doing her job and was focused on stealing a base. The coach told her to steal and that??™s what she was doing. We have all told a runner to go and the ball not get away from a catcher or baseman as far as we thought it would and the runner gets thrown out. As a coach you just have to own it and tell the player good job for doing what you told them and the out is on you .

I thought it but I never said the word idiot but I agree that it??™s not a play I would call because of the pop up factor. Hit and run is risky too but it is a little different because she is swinging away & the runner would have more time to get back if the ball was popped up(out field or so). They all have risks but bunting is tricky for most players, thay can make contact but not everyone can put it in the dirt. All runners should check where the ball is if it's hit or bunted I agree but when you tell a player to steal they should have one job and that??™s to get to the next base. They shouldn??™t look up until they get to that base. When you tell a batter to bunt the runner should know what's going on and know she is shooting for third if possible but as a coach I have never told my runner to steal & batter to bunt at the same time. I let runner know the situation and if you have worked with your runners they know what you expect and they know their speed and if they can push it. On a bunt my girls are in a forward motion but watching that bunt until it hits dirt. Do you see the difference in straight bunt/steal and the runner knowing her job when the bunt is laid down? I??™m sure that??™s why the girl was thrown out before she could get back to 1st, she was doing her job and was focused on stealing a base. The coach told her to steal and that??™s what she was doing. We have all told a runner to go and the ball not get away from a catcher or baseman as far as we thought it would and the runner gets thrown out. As a coach you just have to own it and tell the player good job for doing what you told them and the out is on you .

I agree. Good Post. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

lol I thought the same thing. I have never given the steal sign with a bunt. On a bunt from any position the runner has to be aware where the balls because the risk of pop ups. If the runner was a speedy I would have just showed bunt and pulled back to move the defense out of pocket.

So what you are saying is you will never squeeze because you are afraid of a bunt being popped up. Same Thing and yes it is to put pressure on defense and possibly get runner to third. Have faith in your hitter to put the bunt on the ground.

So what you are saying is you will never squeeze because you are afraid of a bunt being popped up. Same Thing and yes it is to put pressure on defense and possibly get runner to third. Have faith in your hitter to put the bunt on the ground.

My thoughts also!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

No. No. No.

Thread was not about a squeeze. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Big difference between a squeeze and runner/steal (on 1st)-batter/bunt with 1 out.

Squeeze is a gamble and I agree with that sometimes, but that is totally different situation. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

No. No. No.

Thread was not about a squeeze. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Big difference between a squeeze and runner/steal (on 1st)-batter/bunt with 1 out.

Squeeze is a gamble and I agree with that sometimes, but that is totally different situation. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Just making a point about playing the game the way it should be by being aggressive whether squeezing or taking two bases on a bunt with the runner going. Both are gambles but have faith in your team and take chances to put your team in a better position to make things happen. The biggest problem and why teams (especially HS) dont play to win because everything is so conservative. Teams that play not to make mistakes are usually on the wrong side of a one run game.

Just making a point about playing the game the way it should be by being aggressive whether squeezing or taking two bases on a bunt with the runner going. Both are gambles but have faith in your team and take chances to put your team in a better position to make things happen. The biggest problem and why teams (especially HS) dont play to win because everything is so conservative. Teams that play not to make mistakes are usually on the wrong side of a one run game.

Oh no, I think you missed my point. I'm all about taking chances and far from conservative. My point was a response to a previous post, the coach chewed the girl because she got doubled out when he told her to straight out steal. When you straight out steal you have one objective & that's to get to the base. The coach has to own that out because it was his call. Let me retract from my previous post "never" is a strong word, me personally I won't call a bunt steal at the same time. It has nothing to do with faith because I have all the faith in the world in my girls, it has to do with statistics. I really practice bunting too but when they drop the bat head or go after a bad pitch it will pop up. I bunt a lot and my runners know they are doing more than just a lead she is going, going, going constant forward motion until she sees it in the dirt, once it hits dirt she is gone and her goal is 3rd, some can make it some can??™t. I??™m always pushing the envelope with runners, I do all kinds of stuff other coaches won??™t do.

Ok the whole squeeze bunt is a different aspect of the game, I love it but very few can pull it off. When a player pulls it off it synergizes the whole team but I have seen the very best runners and bunters not succeed at it, it is a chance sometimes you have to take. There are many chances sometime you have to take. If you take that chance and the runner gets out are you going to yell at her? That was my point from before, if you call it you have to own it. I am an all or nothing kind of coach but I am a realist too, some things work and some don??™t, if it works for other coaches good for them.

I guess I may be too conservative. I've always looked at a squeeze as a BIG GAMBLE that I would use as a total win or lose situation. A "safety" squeeze is just as effective and it doesn't put your runner in peril. I agree that you play to your strengths and if I have a player that is a great bunter, I would definately use her in that role to move runners or to even squeeze. I agree that agressiveness is an attitude generated by the coach. I've always been of the opinion that if you push the other team into mistakes you stand a better chance of winning a game. Every team is different though and every team has to play to its strenghts. As a matter of fact, most coaches will chose players that best reflect their approach to the game. If they like to play small ball they will usually keep as many fast, agressive, slappers and bunters as they can. If they like to play long ball, they will usually have a team full of bruisers that can knock the daylights out of the ball. However, some teams don't have options and they play with who they get. A good coach in that situation must be able to adjust to the players that come to play. I think that bunting is a very important part of the game that doesn't get taught enough. I've always been of the opinion that if a player can bunt and slap, they will be able to hit and they will also be some of the toughest players to strike out. By the way, SORRY I USED THE WORD "IDIOT" IN MY EARLIER POST. I DON'T KNOW WHAT CAME OVER ME. I'll temper my coments more.

I guess I may be too conservative. I've always looked at a squeeze as a BIG GAMBLE that I would use as a total win or lose situation. A "safety" squeeze is just as effective and it doesn't put your runner in peril. I agree that you play to your strengths and if I have a player that is a great bunter, I would definately use her in that role to move runners or to even squeeze. I agree that agressiveness is an attitude generated by the coach. I've always been of the opinion that if you push the other team into mistakes you stand a better chance of winning a game. Every team is different though and every team has to play to its strenghts. As a matter of fact, most coaches will chose players that best reflect their approach to the game. If they like to play small ball they will usually keep as many fast, agressive, slappers and bunters as they can. If they like to play long ball, they will usually have a team full of bruisers that can knock the daylights out of the ball. However, some teams don't have options and they play with who they get. A good coach in that situation must be able to adjust to the players that come to play. I think that bunting is a very important part of the game that doesn't get taught enough. I've always been of the opinion that if a player can bunt and slap, they will be able to hit and they will also be some of the toughest players to strike out. By the way, SORRY I USED THE WORD "IDIOT" IN MY EARLIER POST. I DON'T KNOW WHAT CAME OVER ME. I'll temper my coments more.

I think we are on the same page.