high school fast pitch

sportsfan099

As a spectator, not a coach, I am intrigued by some of the coaches answers about having a straight steal. Do you coaches instruct your batters to never even swing at a pitch if the steal sign has been given? What about steals with two strikes on the batter? To my way of thinking, having a good bunter bunt while having a runner steal is no different than those situations...or the hit and run. But then again, maybe that's why you are the coaches, not me.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a spectator, not a coach, I am intrigued by some of the coaches answers about having a straight steal. Do you coaches instruct your batters to never even swing at a pitch if the steal sign has been given? What about steals with two strikes on the batter? To my way of thinking, having a good bunter bunt while having a runner steal is no different than those situations...or the hit and run. But then again, maybe that's why you are the coaches, not me.

I don't know if you are getting my point? The coach in question told his player to steal on a bunt and then yelled at her for getting doubled out. I was telling why I don??™t straight out steal with a bunt, I want my runners to be smart base runners and think for themselves (of course if I tell them to do something, what I say goes). I explain things a lot, I want my players to know and understand why I tell them to do things. That being said let me clear it up, I do call steals, a lot. I just want my girls to know on a bunt that they are going but watching to make sure it hits dirt. There is a difference and that??™s what I??™m trying to make clear, I can??™t explain it I would have to show you. Lol You tell a girl to steal she has one job at that moment and she better get her butt to that base and slide. If she hesitates and gets out it??™s on her, if she busts it and still gets out it??™s on me. The answer to your question is NO I don??™t ???instruct your batters to never even swing at a pitch if the steal sign has been given???. I do call hit & run and most the time leave it with the hitter if the steal is on. Of course you take a chance on a double play every time you put a steal hit/slap/bunt on. In my opinion there is a difference if the ball is swung at and hit pop up and a bunt pop up. Most your pop ups are quick off the bat to your catcher with a straight out swing you should have more time to try to get back if you are stealing and it is popped up. I feel like the risk is much higher if you steal on a bunt to get doubled out. I definitely practice bunting a lot but if the batter doesn??™t keep the bat head up, just not focusing or picks a bad pitch it will pop up or straight into the catcher??™s glove. Most things in softball are risks and you just have to roll with them but I choose not to straight out steal on a bunt.

I don't know if you are getting my point? The coach in question told his player to steal on a bunt and then yelled at her for getting doubled out. I was telling why I don??™t straight out steal with a bunt, I want my runners to be smart base runners and think for themselves (of course if I tell them to do something, what I say goes). I explain things a lot, I want my players to know and understand why I tell them to do things. That being said let me clear it up, I do call steals, a lot. I just want my girls to know on a bunt that they are going but watching to make sure it hits dirt. There is a difference and that??™s what I??™m trying to make clear, I can??™t explain it I would have to show you. Lol You tell a girl to steal she has one job at that moment and she better get her butt to that base and slide. If she hesitates and gets out it??™s on her, if she busts it and still gets out it??™s on me. The answer to your question is NO I don??™t ???instruct your batters to never even swing at a pitch if the steal sign has been given???. I do call hit & run and most the time leave it with the hitter if the steal is on. Of course you take a chance on a double play every time you put a steal hit/slap/bunt on. In my opinion there is a difference if the ball is swung at and hit pop up and a bunt pop up. Most your pop ups are quick off the bat to your catcher with a straight out swing you should have more time to try to get back if you are stealing and it is popped up. I feel like the risk is much higher if you steal on a bunt to get doubled out. I definitely practice bunting a lot but if the batter doesn??™t keep the bat head up, just not focusing or picks a bad pitch it will pop up or straight into the catcher??™s glove. Most things in softball are risks and you just have to roll with them but I choose not to straight out steal on a bunt.

I think I got your point. I agree that a coach should not get onto a player if the coach called the bunt+steal and the runner got doubled up because the bunter popped up. However, we will have to agree to disagree on base runners not taking a quick glance towards the batter when stealing. I think that the runner should always do this. But again, coaches have reasons for what they do, and spectators like to speculate and second guess the coaches. Coaching is not easy. I don't won't your job!!

I think I got your point. I agree that a coach should not get onto a player if the coach called the bunt+steal and the runner got doubled up because the bunter popped up. However, we will have to agree to disagree on base runners not taking a quick glance towards the batter when stealing. I think that the runner should always do this. But again, coaches have reasons for what they do, and spectators like to speculate and second guess the coaches. Coaching is not easy. I don't won't your job!!

Guess I'll have to agree to disagree with you as well.

There is a difference between; hit and run, and giving the all out steal sign, then bunting.

However, we will have to agree to disagree on base runners not taking a quick glance towards the batter when stealing. I think that the runner should always do this. But again, coaches have reasons for what they do, and spectators like to speculate and second guess the coaches. Coaching is not easy. I don't won't your job!!

Well actually that is closer to what my girls do on a bunt. They are complete forward motion but watching the ball till it hits dirt. A straight steal in my book is head on that base and one job to complete. I think it is good to pick others brains about why they do stuff, it's all good conversations.

Coaching is great, I loved playing softball but there is nothing like teaching a kid something new and seeing that spark go off in them and they get it. As far as coaching, dealing with parents is the biggest task. I have been very lucky, in the last 9 years I have only had one problem with a parent about anything. Before season starts I am very up front about what I expect and how I coach and I tell them if they aren??™t on the same page they can leave now. I have zero tolerance for parents causing trouble in the stands or players causing trouble in the dug out. My famous line is ???there is only one Queen Bee and that??™s me???. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I hera what your saying "Turnadouble". good answer. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

We have several slappers and the coaches won't slap because when they played ball it was drag bunt........Slapping is too advanced......Just too many people coaching that are football coaches or basketball coaches....when I was in school mANY years ago there was not a coaching class on softball in my major just football and basketball. HAs that changed? and high school ball is just not that competitive....in many areas. Travel ball is 6 to 8 months with off season practice.....But the power houses now....they have some coaching. Hopefully it will get better. Just watch a small college on the computer and they get one on and then move the runners.....but parents still think a fly ball is a great hit so who can win????? Coaches arent paid enough for their time....and many are just expected to have a team. My hats off to the folks out there trying and who care. THere are so many free clinics to go to....I saw a coach calling pitches that would lame AN ALABAMA pitcher if she had th throw that continuously.....and he is considered a good one. It will cost him a big game.......

amen! When you have two strikes choke up and skoot up and bunt if not making contcat or to move a runner.....simple it would seem....

The original post on this thread, if I understand it correctly, was not understanding why high school coaches do certain things, especially small ball. Just my opinion but I think a lot of it has to do with high school coaches not understanding the game completely. I've seen many times when football or basketball coaches or teachers were made to coach softball by the school administration & so the coaches are only there because they're made to be there. Some of these coaches give their very best effort but unfortunately, some don't. (especially at the middle school level where basic fundamentals should be taught) Their hearts were not in it to say the least because deep down, they really don't have a love for the game. What a shame because the girls are the ones that suffer for this half hearted effort by their coach. My daughter was truly blessed because I feel like she's had good coaching by coaches who gave their best & really cared about the girls. The good news is, again this is my opinion only, that this is beginning to change. As the girls that are graduating college now & have played softball during their high school & college careers begin to filter out into the school systems in TN as teachers & coaches, they will be there because they want to be there & will pass along some of the good coaching they've experienced over the years. My hope is that this will lead to better softball at all ages in TN.