AAA, District 11 rankings and discussion

CalledStrike

I've not seen all the teams play, but from what I've heard, seen, and infer from games vs. common opponents, here is how I'd rank them currently.

Independence...most impressive win so far among the contenders

Then this cluster:

Brentwood -- good pitching but can they hit?

Overton -- young, but very talented. Can score runs and young pitching is emerging.

Centennial -- don't know much

Ravenwood -- Have a feeling they'll get better as the season goes along and will finish well

Franklin -- will they ever mesh with the coaches?

Sadly, this is the last year for Overton in this district as the TSSAA has seen fit to ruin it next year.

Overton plays Independence and Centennial this week. What other district games are on tap?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, things got turned upside down a little bit tonight.

Overton beat Independence 8-7 and Centennial beat Brentwood, as well.

Alex Harton pitched a complete game for Overton, striking out the side in the 7th. Overton suffered an injury, however, for the 2nd straight game.

The Overton/Centennial game that was scheduled for Wednesday has been moved up to Tuesday.

Well, things got turned upside down a little bit tonight.

Overton beat Independence 8-7 and Centennial beat Brentwood, as well.

Alex Hartin pitched a complete game for Overton, striking out the side in the 7th. Overton suffered a serious injury, however, for the 2nd straight game.

The Overton/Centennial game that was scheduled for Wednesday has been moved up to Tuesday.

Who got hurt from Overton?

Overton @ Centennial tonight at 6:30.

Wow. This was epic. Overton wins 17-15 in 7 full innings at Centennial.

Inning 1:

-- Overton scores 1 and has bases loaded with no outs. Cole Patterson hits a laser to center. Frankly, he hit it too hard (can you do that?) for it to get out as the wind was really carrying the ball. Overton ends up with 2 runs.

-- Tony Kemp puts on the Tony Kemp Show and homers on 2 strike count. His only hit of the night, though.

-- 2-1 Overton

Inning 2-5:

-- Wildly back and forth. At one point, Centennial is winning 11-4.

-- Overton has a huge inning on 2 outs, going ahead in the inning.

-- Overton then finds themselves down 14-13 and it starts to sprinkle. They eventually tie it 14-14. We start talking about running out the clock and setting up for a field goal. Where's Jeff Fisher when you need him?

Inning 7:

-- Overton scores 3 on a couple of walks and great hits up the middle by Harton and Moore (I know I'm leaving contributors out but my memory is failing me). Up 17-14.

-- Centennial loads the bases with 0 outs. Hot shot to SS, to 2nd, to first with a double play on a scoop (1b making first varsity start other than pitching due to injury/pitching rotation).

-- 17-15 with 2 outs. Cathey continues his good pitching and strikes out the next batter to end the game.

It may very well have been the most exciting baseball game that I've ever attended. I think I'd feel the same had Overton lost.

So, Overton, with 2 starters out due to injury, beats Independence and Centennial on consecutive nights to go to 9-3.

Centennial is a great hitting team -- strong up and down the lineup.

Mostly a well played game by both teams. It just turned out to be one of those scorefests. Infield was rock hard and the wind was carrying.

Lipscomb @ Overton has been postponed as Lipscomb had to cancel due to needing to play a district game. That's a shame, as it should have been a great game. I'm sure it will be made up.

What is the schedule today for other teams in the district?

Indy has great leadership but also they have great young talent. The only way they can win the District is if they come to play each and every game, for example this past saturday they beat the #1 team in the NATION (Farrguet or however you spell it), yes #1 in the nation. But the following tuesday or wensday they lost to an young talented Overton by 1. Only time will tell how they will do.

I haven't seen Ravenwood, Brentwood, or Franklin. Who can shed some light on those teams...especially what's going on with Franklin?

Franklin as of Friday 3/27 had 5 wins, 6 losses. The wins have come against teams that (honestly) would barely compete at the middle school level. They have been crushed by average to slightly better than average teams. The team has decent players but not sure that the coaching staff knows how to motivate or prepare them. I've seen most of their games - their play reflects the inexperience and de-motivating attitudes of the coaching staff. My advice to the rest of the district coaches: throw your 3rd or 4th starter against this team and save your #1 & #2 for teams that might offer more of a challenge.