Why umpires won't call crowhoping or replanting?

BALLPARK002

We had a game this week were the umpire was notified by the coach of the pitcher crowhoping and replanting.The umpire would'nt even go over thier and look.It was real noticeable she was getting about a 12 inch advantage.In baseball they have no problem calling a balk.What is the deal with this.Why even have a rule if your not going to enforce it.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a game this week were the umpire was notified by the coach of the pitcher crowhoping and replanting.The umpire would'nt even go over thier and look.It was real noticeable she was getting about a 12 inch advantage.In baseball they have no problem calling a balk.What is the deal with this.Why even have a rule if your not going to enforce it.

I saw a girl Crow hopping badly, the coach of the visiting team said something to the ump behind the plate instead of the ump in the field. Then the coach was suprised that the ump behind the plate said it wasn't his call. End of discussion!!! Coach must know the rules.

I was also told by a ump in the summer that as long as the toe was pointing down that no advantage was gained. The next inning I told him that I understood....the pitcher could jump over the hole in front of the mound as long as her toe was down....next pitch it was called. Sometimes it is all about communication /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

I saw a girl Crow hopping badly, the coach of the visiting team said something to the ump behind the plate instead of the ump in the field. Then the coach was suprised that the ump behind the plate said it wasn't his call. End of discussion!!! Coach must know the rules.

I was also told by a ump in the summer that as long as the toe was pointing down that no advantage was gained. The next inning I told him that I understood....the pitcher could jump over the hole in front of the mound as long as her toe was down....next pitch it was called. Sometimes it is all about communication /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Both coach's notified the umpire on the field and behind the plate. It is the umpire on the field, who has to make the call. They just acted stupid and said nothing.

I don't know about his team, but we won our game and the opposing pitcher was attempting to slide her foot across the rubber (like Monica Abbott) but instead picked it up off the rubber during her wind up and replanted at least 90% of the time. The umpires were notified and never even watched her to see if she was doing it. If they are going to be paid the money that they are paid they should at least do their job. If your boss gives you a set of rules and you are paid to follow and make sure the teams playing follow those rules and you nor the teams follow them then you think you would still have a job? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

the ball still got to come over the plate. must have had a hard time hitting to be complaining about it. i bet if your team was hitting the ball your coach wouldn't have said a word to the ump. hitters buy all the new bats and every pcs of equipment to improve their game.

Sometimes it's not about hitting or not hitting. It is about the aggrevating fact that some people try to push the envelope on rules. What is that teaching our kids? It's okay to break the rules as long as you can get away with it?

Two facts about fast pitch softball:

1. Practically every pitcher crow hops or leaps.

2. Every coach whines about it.

The guy behind home plate can't see where the pitcher's toes are and call the plate. The guy in the field can't watch the pitcher's feet every pitch. While some coaches want it called because it's obvious, others will try to get it called to get in the pitcher's head. My experience has been that leaping is much more prevalent.

Two facts about fast pitch softball:

1. Practically every pitcher crow hops or leaps.

2. Every coach whines about it.

The guy behind home plate can't see where the pitcher's toes are and call the plate. The guy in the field can't watch the pitcher's feet every pitch. While some coaches want it called because it's obvious, others will try to get it called to get in the pitcher's head. My experience has been that leaping is much more prevalent.

That makes sense! So, I guess it is each coaches responsibility to make sure his/her pitchers are pitching within the guidelines. Whew!!! These coaches and umpires have their hands full, but I guess that is what they love about their job. It takes a special person to be a coach or an umpire.

Let's just get to the facts. I've raised two fastpitch pitchers and have been involved with this game for many many years. I study mechanics and am a complete obsessive compulsive when it comes to rules, mechanics and every edge you can get to perform your job better right up to the legal limit. With that said, crow hopping, under the proper definition, is tantamount to gaining the single greatest advantage to a pitcher that can possibly be given.

Starting with the ball, it is completely hidden through the whole cycle from the time it leaves the glove to the time of release simply based on the fact that crow hopping, by definition, moves the body not only to a much closer point to the batter at release point, it also shifts the pitchers body completely sideways and hides the ball behind their body. Once the hop (replant) has been completed, the mechanical advantage of the lever (arm) gains an inertia advantage by the added leap and sudden stop which then catapults the pitching arm out of the slot for usually around a five to six mile per hour advantage. Not to mention the incredible distance advantage taken by the longer leap and then second leap by replanting. Then, the ball appears suddenly with a dramatic surprise to the batters.

It is a travesty for umpires to allow this type of thing to happen. It does nothing but teach a pitcher how to cheat thinking it is ok. It's not the pitchers fault. I fault the pitching coach as well as the umpires. Once a girl has learned this technique it's like adrenaline. The success of it is so overwhelming you cannot imagine how hard it will be for them to try to stop it. Usually, it comes too late in their career. In the end, they suffer while their victims have been cheated as well.

Try videoing a (real) crow hopping pitcher and then slow it down. Even an untrained eye can spot the advantages in slow motion. Like I said, the real crime is allowing it to happen. Yet, take a hot bat to a game that's not on the list and you would think you've just robbed a bank by the reaction. Keep it real and keep it clean on both sides.... that's my opinion.

Have a great season. /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

Let's just get to the facts. I've raised two fastpitch pitchers and have been involved with this game for many many years. I study mechanics and am a complete obsessive compulsive when it comes to rules, mechanics and every edge you can get to perform your job better right up to the legal limit. With that said, crow hopping, under the proper definition, is tantamount to gaining the single greatest advantage to a pitcher that can possibly be given.

Starting with the ball, it is completely hidden through the whole cycle from the time it leaves the glove to the time of release simply based on the fact that crow hopping, by definition, moves the body not only to a much closer point to the batter at release point, it also shifts the pitchers body completely sideways and hides the ball behind their body. Once the hop (replant) has been completed, the mechanical advantage of the lever (arm) gains an inertia advantage by the added leap and sudden stop which then catapults the pitching arm out of the slot for usually around a five to six mile per hour advantage. Not to mention the incredible distance advantage taken by the longer leap and then second leap by replanting. Then, the ball appears suddenly with a dramatic surprise to the batters.

It is a travesty for umpires to allow this type of thing to happen. It does nothing but teach a pitcher how to cheat thinking it is ok. It's not the pitchers fault. I fault the pitching coach as well as the umpires. Once a girl has learned this technique it's like adrenaline. The success of it is so overwhelming you cannot imagine how hard it will be for them to try to stop it. Usually, it comes too late in their career. In the end, they suffer while their victims have been cheated as well.

Try videoing a (real) crow hopping pitcher and then slow it down. Even an untrained eye can spot the advantages in slow motion. Like I said, the real crime is allowing it to happen. Yet, take a hot bat to a game that's not on the list and you would think you've just robbed a bank by the reaction. Keep it real and keep it clean on both sides.... that's my opinion.

Have a great season. /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

Thanks ERA finally someone who understands the game. I also understand the game and I know this is just one Pitcher, I talked about on here but truly about 60 percent of the pitchers pitch illegal with a replanting to gain advantage over a hitter. I know a balk in baseball is called a lot more than a crow hop in softball. Really a replanting is much easier to see than a balk. I been too to alot of games and never seen it really enforced usually a warning to the pitcher is about all you will see and they will let it contiue the rest of the game.

I don't know as much as you, but I agree with you - see my first posting above.