Bullpen Catchers

IAm23

Do bullpen catchers play a big role on how a pitcher goes out there and throws the ball? Just a random question going to see how you guess see it. I see it as yes, it does help because I know our catcher always relaxes our guys a little bit before, and during the game while they are warming up. Comments?

Do bullpen catchers play a big role on how a pitcher goes out there and throws the ball? Just a random question going to see how you guess see it. I see it as yes, it does help because I know our catcher always relaxes our guys a little bit before, and during the game while they are warming up. Comments?

I wouldn't say they play a big role, usually they are subs and underclassmen. Experienced pitchers shouldn't need to be calmed down before a game. By the time a kid is a junior or senior, he has probably been in big games or tough situations and should have the mental toughness to deal with it on his own. I do think pitchers often warm up too much and too early. Each pitcher should develop his own pregame ritual to find what suits him best. Just my opinion.

I strongly believe that bullpen catchers play a huge roll in getting a pitcher ready to perform. but I do not agree when you say that they are underclassmen or not as good as the starters. they could be just a plain athelete that backs up at completely different position and is still athletic enough to catch, or he could be a personal catcher for a specific pitcher. after saying that, i want to pose the question whose the best bullpen catcher in the state? I say Garrett Talmadge at Siegel. He exhibits both of the qualities i mentioned above, perosnal bullpen catcher to stud Matthew Roberson and also a second baseman. and i think that iam23 will agree with me on this one. and slider77, even the most experienced pitchers get nervous when they come up in a tight spot, a good bullpen catcher calms them down.

Most teams don't have the luxury of having a Junior or Senior bullpen catcher. Especially smaller schools. If the player is athletic enough, instead of being a backup catcher they'll go find the soft spot of their lineup and become good at that position. With that I will say probably 50%+ of teams just throw their new freshmen or a sophomore catcher back there to catch. So say a Senior is warming up, the freshmen isn't going to try to calm him down because the catcher doesn't know at all what its like. Which is why if you have an assistant coach go out there and help him out he should be able to keep his mind right.

Every pitcher gets nervous... If you go in the 7th inning with a runner on 2nd and 3rd your team up by 1 run with 1 out... I'm sure the pitchers heart will be pounding.

The starting catcher should for sure be able to calm any pitcher down in any situation though. Its part of the job. But you HAVE to have the chemistry to do it.

I strongly believe that bullpen catchers play a huge roll in getting a pitcher ready to perform. but I do not agree when you say that they are underclassmen or not as good as the starters. they could be just a plain athelete that backs up at completely different position and is still athletic enough to catch, or he could be a personal catcher for a specific pitcher.

Guess I'm thinking in terms of warming up the starter. We use our game day catcher, others use there subs or like you say a position player who can catch. Didn't mean to insinuate in any way that bullpen catchers aren't good players.

after saying that, i want to pose the question whose the best bullpen catcher in the state? I say Garrett Talmadge at Siegel. He exhibits both of the qualities i mentioned above, perosnal bullpen catcher to stud Matthew Roberson and also a second baseman. and i think that iam23 will agree with me on this one.

I don't know that there's anybody in the world that can give an intelligent answer to your question about the best bullpen catcher in the state of Tennessee. But, yes, Garrett is a good player and a good kid too.

and slider77, even the most experienced pitchers get nervous when they come up in a tight spot, a good bullpen catcher calms them down.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I know starters who love the big game and crave to have the ball in those situations and I know relievers who thrive on coming in with bases loaded and 1 out with the game on the line. Different kids react differentlly....adults too for that matter!

I strongly believe that bullpen catchers play a huge roll in getting a pitcher ready to perform. but I do not agree when you say that they are underclassmen or not as good as the starters. they could be just a plain athelete that backs up at completely different position and is still athletic enough to catch, or he could be a personal catcher for a specific pitcher. after saying that, i want to pose the question whose the best bullpen catcher in the state? I say Garrett Talmadge at Siegel. He exhibits both of the qualities i mentioned above, perosnal bullpen catcher to stud Matthew Roberson and also a second baseman. and i think that iam23 will agree with me on this one. and slider77, even the most experienced pitchers get nervous when they come up in a tight spot, a good bullpen catcher calms them down.

haha agreed

ABSOLUTELY! I no that Hunter Huff from Brentwood High does a very good job of catching, and letting the pitchers no what they need to work on to get better and better.