Smith Co.-Oliver Springs

fanman

Posted by swamp:
Posted by orangenblack:

....I went to a Coalfield/O.S. several years ago at Britain Field and remember a lady on the visiting side was hit by a beer bottle. The railroad track sets on a hill behind the visitor's bleachers and the drunks used to hang out back there. Hopefully the O.S. cops have corrected this situation. Ah, heck, the O.S. crowd is probably no worse than any other school.

Best to get there early, and WATCH WHERE YOU PARK. They love to tow cars off the street. It'll take probably a wee bit over two hours to drive from Carthage to OZ.....I'm really neutral on this game and don't know who to pull for--I like both teams.

They must have switched sides since you were there last b/c the visitors side is back-to-back with the school and the street in front of it.

Dang it!!!...You know how us Brown's fans like to fling our beer bottles and now...well...our helmets!!!...Maybe they'll move the visitors back to the other side for this game???...Ya think??? :(

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They must have switched sides since you were there last b/c the visitors side is back-to-back with the school and the street in front of it.

-------------------------------

Every time I've been to an O.S. game we had pregame adult beverages so I'm not for sure which was the visiting side. :(;):(

[Edited by orangenblack on 9-10-02 7:06P]

I'm not kidding, Fanman, the O.S. crowd will be pumped, too. For such a small school, they have huge followings.

As I stated earlier, I grew up in O.S, but attended H.S. at Clinton. I had two sisters, one went to Clinton, the other went to O.S. I lived nextdoor to two brothers, one went to Clinton, the other O.S. Oliver Springs would have an awesome team most every year if all these kids enrolled down there and the county lines weren't so close.

Agreed Orange and Black, OS would have an enrollment of about 700-750 kids and the talents level would be Scary if you compare it to other AA or AAA teams in football and Basketball if all kids attended Oliver Springs that live inside the city limits of OS on the Anderson COunty Side.

Consider

Andrian Booker- Amazing Oak Ridge QB and top All State PG for the Wildcats

Halston Lane- former OR standout in Basketball attended Oliver SPrings elem., played at Georgia Tech before transfering

Greg Wollfner, Attended OR and played LB at UNiv. Of North Carolina

Torre MOrris, former CLinton standout that plays center at Pitt

There are numerous other athletes that have played at OR and Clinton over the years- more at CLinton that played Little League at Norwood.

One could only imagine the statud of OS if these players would have attended OS.... The teams would have been scary...

OSHS91, I can take you back to the 1970's and add a few more:

Terry Moore, attended OS Elementary school in the 1960's, went on to Clinton H.S.(graduate 1972), became starting running back at the University of TN

Russell Williams, attended OS Elementary school the same time as Terry Moore, went on to Clinton H.S. (graduate 1972) became starting linebacker for the University of TN, leading team in total hits.

David C. Fritts, attended Norwood Elementary, went on to Clinton H.S. (graduate 1972) blew out his knee in H.S. and would have probably been starting TB at University of TN, did play TB at M.T.S.U. (no kidding, he's the best h.s. running back I've ever seen) His brother Russell (Clinton High School, graduate 1973) ran track at U.T., a standout sprinter.

Tommy Diggs, attended Norwood Elemenary, went to Oak Ridge High School (graduate 1972), later starting Tight End for the Army Cadets.

Also, one of the Benjamin boys from O.S. (Strutt St.) attended Clinton High School, later became the starting TB for Carson Newman. His first collegiate run was an 80 yd. TD. run

I left some more out, I'm sure.

Is it only my computer, but has this forum been acting up? I've only been aboard a few days, and it went out last night about midnight, just now came back online.

Oh yeah, one more thing, an eerie thing happened here this morning. At 8:45am the electricity went off for approx 45 minutes. Anyone remember what happened last year on 9/11? I'M NOT KIDDING!! Anyone over in O.S. have a power outage this morning? I figure it was some kook who shot down a transformer or something similar.

[Edited by orangenblack on 9-11-02 1:05P]

THe lists of athletes that have come out of Norwood and Oliver Springs elementary is mind boggling. Those lists of athletes would be amazing for a city of 50,000-100,000 much less OS populaiton of just over 3,000... If Norwood and OS combined schools and Anderson and ROane COunty got their act together and did the righ thing, The Tri County area of Oliver Springs would benifet in academics and athletics and would be a major boost for the area in general to build a school of 700 plus kids.....

Other Clinton Basketball players from Norwood that were standouts

Kenny "Butch" Willliamson played at Norwood and was a 3 year starter at Clinton and led the Dragons to a victrory of a Darrell Miller Oak Rdige team in the Regions in 89. He was a bigtime talent and attended Walters State.

Keith Jones a 6'9 Center and teamate of Willimason graduated in 89 also played at Norwood.

Kerry Knaff was a teamate of mine at Norwood Junior high in 88 and later started 2 years at Clinton on some excellent CLinton Teams.

Michelle Daniels, was a star at Norwood and Clinton and was a D1 talent, bu blew out her knees at CLinton

Lynn Hart, was the starting fullback at OR an attended OS his freshman year, but transfered and won a state championship at OR and later played at Tennessee Tech.

Lyn's Sister, played at OS for 3 years and tansfered to OR and heped lead the Lady Cats to a state championship in 1990 and played at Tennessee Tech.

Jennifer Raby, attended OS elementary and middle school and later stared on the ORHS basketball team and won a state championship and excelled in track.

Becky Joe Lee, grew up in Norwood and was the PG on another state championship team for the Lady Wildcats of OR.

Kevin Brown attended OR and lived in OS and was a 18 ppg scorer of OR in the mid 90's. Borwn's borther played at OS in 88. Rick Pitino actually came and scounted a game of his at OR.

Michael Brown, played at OS and then transfered to OR in baseball early 90's. Was drafted and played 4 years in Devil Ray's farm system.

Jay Van Hook, played at OS middle school and dressed out with OSHS in 1990 for a summer at camps beofre transfering to ALco ot play with the Marsh's and was the starting center on an ALcoa team thwas ranked as one of the top 25 in country one season.

There are a few more, I know this has nothing to do with SMith county and OS match, but add in the talent that went on to Oliver Springs and college and for a town of only 3,000 people this kind of athletiscism is scary. I think Norwood Boys and Gilrs Club has big huge for Norwood area of OS in developing athletes.

But O.S. didn't let the best of the crop get away. Gary Kreis was scouted by UT as early as his fr/soph year, and later became one of the top WR's in the SEC, setting several UT records. Also an excellent football coach. Has probably been offered some head coach jobs at some much bigger schools, but is at Coalfield to stay. He grew up in the Anderson Co. section of O.S. Well known at UT for his trademark kicking the ball into the stands after catching TD passes.