Home Schoolers playing in HS

MVM

The issue of allowing home school students to participate on an a la carte basis in public school educational and extra-curricular offerings has been around for a while. I know there are families in Williamson County and elsewhere who have wanted to be able to use the public schools for art and music classes for their home school children, and I am sure athletics, drama, marching band and other extra-curricular activities are on their radar screens as well. To use a health-care analogy, my position is that the public schools are not set up to be a cafeteria plan, and those who have chosen to home educate their children should accept the limitations as well as the advantages of that freely-made choice. My son plays club soccer with several of the guys on the Fire, and I know their families pretty well. They are go-getters and very organized people. Within their home school organizations, they have the parental talent to pull together their own out-of-school activities and do it very well. In my opinion, allowing organized teams of home-schoolers to compete with TSSAA school teams is fine, but allowing individual home-schoolers to participate on school teams is a slippery slope. I am opposed to this proposed legislation.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The use of home school players will be a very important topic for TSSAA to address if the legislation passes. A good example of the potental issues that home schoolers will create for both public and private schools is to look at how High School Swimming in currently operated.

High School Swimming is not regulated by TSSAA and therefore home school students can particiate against all schools. In the East Tennessee area Berean Christian School has an excellent high school swim team and is probably one of the smallest high schools, either public or private in our area (less than 100 students in the entire high school). Their program competes against the Knoxville areas biggest schools, Farragut, Bearden, Webb and scores very well against them. In the State Swim Championships this year, Berean's girls team placed 15th, the boys team 24th and and combined team was 14th out over 200 schools. The only other Knoxville area schools that placed higher at State were Bearden, Farragut and Webb.

It is just a guess on my part but probably 80% or more on the swimmers on Berean team do not attend Berean High School but are home school students. Berean, just like CAK and other church sponsored schools, register home school students under their school operating charter so these students can abide by other state regulations. If certain rules by TSSAA are not carefully thought out and enacted, you will either see private schools like Berean Christian become dominate soccer teams or teams like CAK, like they need any help, will get even stronger.

This issue will become a major point of controvery not just for soccer but all high school sports. Coaches and Athletic Directors had better follow this legislation carefully.

You are exactly correct. CAK has a home school program that they sponsor. So, if there is a highschool student who is under the CAK homeschool umbrella, will he or she be illegible to play for that school? Does that count as enrollment? Quite interesting.

You are exactly correct. CAK has a home school program that they sponsor. So, if there is a highschool student who is under the CAK homeschool umbrella, will he or she be illegible to play for that school? Does that count as enrollment? Quite interesting.

I think the privates and homeschool teams should go in their own league together. The argument i read earlier makes sense....These kids don't want to go to public school for what ever reason, but want to have the same benefits competing with publics for state tournaments despite the advatages they have over the publics. Yet they get to play by a different set of rules.

I say regular season play anyone and everyone come tournament time there are two divisions in private division pick one. Why is there a problem with that?

What makes a home school team any different from a private school team? Besides the obvious they go to school at home.

I mean Privates can accept students or players from anywhere.

They can play 8th graders.

People complain that is is a numbers issue. I would like to see a athlete to non athlete ratio public vs. private. Publics have more numbers, but they have to accept all students in their district. Alot of the kids inside the walls of highschools dont even do one extracurricular in 4 years. By and large I would say that most every student at the private school are in some type of extracurricular activity.

The type athletes privates attract: parents have money to get them the best coaching available, but yet in highschool they want to play the AAA? In club ball they play DIV I or premier. Makes no sense.

What makes a home school team any different from a private school team? Besides the obvious they go to school at home.

They can play 8th graders.

People complain that is is a numbers issue. I would like to see a athlete to non athlete ratio public vs. private. Publics have more numbers, but they have to accept all students in their district. Alot of the kids inside the walls of highschools dont even do one extracurricular in 4 years. By and large I would say that most every student at the private school are in some type of extracurricular activity.

The type athletes privates attract: parents have money to get them the best coaching available, but yet in highschool they want to play the AAA? In club ball they play DIV I or premier. Makes no sense.

While there are so many of you on here I want to address as naive ( I did not say ignorant, I said naive) #1) Home school kids are GENERALLY NOT RICH, so stop right there, the majority are not Parents whom can afford Travel teams or private coaching.....You have bought into what politicians say are the elite Rich, not so with these folks, they are parents who don't like the secular world and the teaching of non truths, not necessary biblical but factual history or deviated morals being taught . #2 Those same parents pay taxes just like others , yet there children are not using ANY Tax money which pays for the school the others go to and The Tssaa # 3 Public schools not Good enough is revelant...look at scores of compentency for TN students in public schools yet Home schoolers excel #4..... Private schools can pool enough for many sports , have a location of organization, have parents who can all afford to send them there, have opportunites for sports that homeschoolers don't have........So why deny a child who does not control anything the opportunity to participate???? Whether you realize it or not the foundations this country was founded on are crumbling and homeschooling Parents are trying to hang on while our schools are headed in the other direction.......When you take away homeschoolers from being able to rightfully participate you are indicating that you believe it is ok to stop people over 6' to play basketball they are to tall that is an unfair advantage...I could go on and on with that , but I think you get the gist. If anything Homeschoolers are at a disadvantage because their are not teams with enough players without driving ridiculous distances to play or flat not enough at all, plus they have no District to play in , no rivalries, no real homefield .........No, think this again my friends, we owe all a chance to participate or NONE

If there are errors in grammer forgive me I had to hit this topic on the run, but I needed to address this so that some of you were more realistically educated , that is not a cut We all need to learn , I am one who is open because there is so much I too don't know, but I do know, these kids deserve a chance

So can Maryville, Oak Ridge, and Alcoa. They are called open zone.

The argument here ISN'T private schools vs. public. It's a homeschool issue. While I know you enjoy a chance to state your bias against private schools competing against public, it isn't the argument here.

When you take away homeschoolers from being able to rightfully participate you are indicating that you believe it is ok to stop people over 6' to play basketball they are to tall that is an unfair advantage...I could go on and on with that , but I think you get the gist.

This analogy is not accurate at all.

So can Maryville, Oak Ridge, and Alcoa. They are called open zone.

The argument here ISN'T private schools vs. public. It's a homeschool issue. While I know you enjoy a chance to state your bias against private schools competing against public, it isn't the argument here.

These schools play up to there level of competition. And they are not private schools which have two divisions already, but yet in AAA private schools are winning the championships. Along with the 2 DivII State titles. Private schools get 3 championships a year and then publics get AAA and thats it.

You make statements about lack of depth in comparison with AAA schools, and yet you can compete with them every year, even when program down. Its not fair to the teams you compete for championships against. You are one of the top 10 soccer programs (both boys and girls) in the state you should play the best teams for championships, and yet you do not. I for one think you should want to and you don't. Of course you are reaping the benefits of this problem too!

So I guess my problem is what is DIV II for (besides to give privates 2 more championships)? There is a side for those that give aid and those that don't. It covers all the bases. So all privates should be in there. Yet they stay in with the publics.

G if inside that umbrella you get home schoolers also where does it stop. The argument you make is Urban vs. Rural is the problem. I say privates schools competing in AAA is the problem, but not to many on my side can support me cause they can not afford a computer or the internet.

So private supporters bash away, but think about it you are just picking on the little guys.

My point was that THIS isn't the debate on this thread. Not that it isn't a debate to be talked about. There is a separate BOARD for your arguments. If we continue down this path, it will be moved. If we keep to the topic of homeschool, it won't.

Bill Summary

*HB 0072 by *Weaver. (SB 0843 by *Beavers.)

Schools, Home - As introduced, authorizes home-schooled students to participate in athletics in public schools if they comply with certain conditions. - Amends TCA Title 49, Chapter 6.

Fiscal Summary

Increase State Expenditures - Not Significant Increase Local Expenditures - Not Significant

Bill Summary

This bill authorizes home-schooled students to participate in interscholastic activities at the public school to which the student would have been assigned by the local board of education, if:

(1) The student legally resides in the school district;

(2) The student's parent or guardian complies with notice requirements for home schooling;

(3) The student's parent or guardian applies in writing to the principal before the beginning date of the season for the activity in which the student wishes to participate;

(4) The student is at or above grade level as demonstrated by assessment testing;

(5) The student meets the same standards for acceptance in the activity as public school students; and

(6) The student meets all TSSAA eligibility requirements that are not in conflict with the provisions of this bill.

This bill prohibits any public school student who has been unable to maintain academic eligibility to participate in interscholastic activities from participating as a home- schooled student for the duration of the year in which the student becomes ineligible and the following year. Any such student could become eligible for the third year by showing that the student is at or above grade level as demonstrated by assessment testing.

This bill prohibits any public school team or group from being impeded from competition against other schools' teams merely because the school's team has home-schooled students participating.

I've read all the comments on this subject.....And I still haven't decided how I fall on this. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> On one hand we are talking about children here. But on the other hand, their parents have made a decision not to be part of the public school system, so they have made their bed, let them lie in it.....

So I guess if this passes there will not be any home school teams anymore?

Also, Don't public schools get federal funding for the amount of students they have enrolled? While everyone pays taxes for public schools, that money is is given back to the school depending on enrollment. So I ask is this fair?

Eastnref I'm sorry but I don't see anything about the private schools in the bill summary.

This is an interesting debate indeed!

At this point I'm enjoying reading everyone's thoughts and I'm not leaning in any direction. I think the Middle TN Fire and their parents and coaches have done a great job at organizing the team. So Homeschool teams can succeed independently of public/private schools.

Theoretically if there are 35 spots on the JV/Varsity roster and 2 of them are homschooled athletes, that means 2 students that attend the high school are going to be cut in favor of 2 students that don't attend. I think this is going to make a number of parents upset if their student doesn't get a chance to play, while a few homeschooled students make the roster. Interesting.