SODDY DAISY TOURNAMENT

BBaller91

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's gonna be a one day tournament tomorrow. 1 pool game & then single elimination starting at 8:00 am Eastern time. It was a very frustrating day while they waited as long as possible to try to get some games in today. Don't blame them at all, but it just seems like we softball lovers have been snake bit this spring when it comes to rainouts!

It's gonna be a one day tournament tomorrow. 1 pool game & then single elimination starting at 8:00 am Eastern time. It was a very frustrating day while they waited as long as possible to try to get some games in today. Don't blame them at all, but it just seems like we softball lovers have been snake bit this spring when it comes to rainouts!

That is true.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/ap...-fields/?sports

I like the way the format ended up, given the circumstances. The first game of the day for each team was called a pool game but it had no effect on the tournament/elimination game, it was just an extra for each. After those were played, teams started meeting in single-elimination with a 1-hour time limit/no new innings started with just a bit of time left. The matchups were put together by random draw but there were still some suggestions things were fishy /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> . None of them stood out for me in that way and even if they did everyone would get a tough game in the next round anyway.

Some of the early elimination games:

Brentwood over Sequatchie 4-1. Brentwood had 3 HR on the short distance field, 2 for 3 RBIs with the CF back for a catch until running out of room-but Sequatchie was batting on the same field and didn't put it over the fence. Hits were 7-5 in favor of Bruins. Sequatchie had some good plays at CF (Mitchell, throwout from the fence to second after a single), 2B (Carlton, diving catch into the mud, catch of a hard hit line drive) and 1B (Mills, running over the shoulder catch of a foul) to help keep Brentwood from scoring more. Also Maryvlile over Baylor, GPS over Marion, Grace Academy over Bradley Central, Red Bank over I believe Ravenwood. Soddy-Daisy was beating Chattanooga Christian 4-0 after one inning and was causing all sorts of problems for CCS's defense with the way they were running the bases. That winner was to play Sale Creek who got a bye. Sequatchie beat Sale Creek 7-0 in a pool game, the most memorable pool score I remember was Jefferson County beating Ooltewah 5-1. I only saw a little so I don't how they got the runs or against which pitcher. Maryville tied Soddy-Daisy in a pool, I think 3-3.

Ain't that the truth. Sequatchie had games with Coffee County, Cookeville and Beech canceled at the Hendersonville tournament. Those would have been challenging to say the least but that was the reason for entering. So far they've had 7 games and three of those were against one opponent. Maybe this season will get some serious talk going about moving to fall. If volleyball can't be swapped to the spring then the players would just have to choose between volleyball and softball, the same thing happens for girls' soccer/volleyball, boys' soccer/baseball and track/baseball or softball.