Spring Football -v- Academics

gatorbillmsu

Read the post greasers. If the kid is struggling with his grades it didn't happen overnight. He should have gotten that stuff taken care of early in the semester instead of waiting to use it as an excuse to get out of spring ball. Hey, maybe the kid just wants to quit football and needed an excuse. You guys can use that "get my grades up"crap on somebody who will listen, and evidently his coach ain't one of them. And yes, I do think football is the king and should take priority. I don't condone quitting a sport in the middle of the season so you can go to spring practice but thats not what this is about anyway. This is about a kid who ran track with bad grades then decided to lay out of spring practice to get his grades up. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" Oh, yea...congratulations on getting messages to all the proper authorities poindexter. I'm sure that will fix it.

I am with DOD on this one. The real question is how many other players on the team are experiencing grade issues? If this is a multiple player issue then we have a systemic problem which may mean a coach problem. If this problem is isolated then you have individual effort issues. DOD is dead on. Where has this kid's academic effort since Christmas break?

Go ahead and make your calls my friend. You just screwed your friend (son....?) and your name big time. I have put three sons through outstanding programs thus far. I have witnessed numerous situations like this play out over the last ten years. None...I say again, none resulted in any change in favor of the "wronged" kid. The people you call will be more concerned by the massive backlash from the parents who tell their sons to get with it, drop the X Box controller, skip the movies, or just plain stay home and get the work done.

The originator of this thread asked for input and then got real peaved when DOD gave the "wrong" answer. I am quite sure you/he will love me. That's quite OK with me. But go ahead and learn a hard lesson here. Bottom line is leave the coaches and principals alone. They get treated just like college coaches by us fans and the media now and get fired or abused for losing. So they are absolutely danged if the do and danged if they don't. Competitive high school football programs require total dedication and excellent time management by the kids to meet both academic and team committments. IMO this is a perfect example of today's new generation of a soft "feel good" parents and kids that want individual exceptions and are unwilling to pay the price for team excellence.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am with DOD on this one. The real question is how many other players on the team are experiencing grade issues? If this is a multiple player issue then we have a systemic problem which may mean a coach problem. If this problem is isolated then you have individual effort issues. DOD is dead on. Where has this kid's academic effort since Christmas break?

Go ahead and make your calls my friend. You just screwed your friend (son....?) and your name big time. I have put three sons through outstanding programs thus far. I have witnessed numerous situations like this play out over the last ten years. None...I say again, none resulted in any change in favor of the "wronged" kid. The people you call will be more concerned by the massive backlash from the parents who tell their sons to get with it, drop the X Box controller, skip the movies, or just plain stay home and get the work done.

The originator of this thread asked for input and then got real peaved when DOD gave the "wrong" answer. I am quite sure you/he will love me. That's quite OK with me. But go ahead and learn a hard lesson here. Bottom line is leave the coaches and principals alone. They get treated just like college coaches by us fans and the media now and get fired or abused for losing. So they are absolutely danged if the do and danged if they don't. Competitive high school football programs require total dedication and excellent time management by the kids to meet both academic and team committments. IMO this is a perfect example of today's new generation of a soft "feel good" parents and kids that want individual exceptions and are unwilling to pay the price for team excellence.

Your post is kind of hit and miss. First off. I have screwed no one here, because when I talk to a coach or administrator, it is not to accuse anybody of anything. It is to get answers. Once I have solid, first hand answers, then I can go about the business of solving the problem. Sometimes the kid is just plain wrong. Sometimes the staff could bend a little and not look stupid. However, I never attack the coaching staff, and I didnt do it here. I was simply looking for answers, trying to be prepared for the questions that I was going to ask.

Contrary to popular opinion, I am not an idiot.

I have played sports, I have coached sports, and I am the parent of an athlete. (I was very successful as both a player and a coach, I was not a "participater) My kids have never been allowed to quit ANYTHING. And that doesnt mean that they show up and go through the motions. My kids will fight you for every breath of air you take, if that is what it takes to win. They compete on the field, on the court, in the classroom, and at the dinnertable if they think they can find a way to make a game out of eating. I have a box hidden in my garage that is full of the "participation trophies" that my oldest daughter recieved growing up. I pulled each of them out of the trash, and have saved them because she might actually appreciate them when she is an adult. But as for now, participation means nothing, all that counts is winning and losing. (my kids are not the greatest athletes, but nobody competes harder. period)

So, dont go that direction with me.

The reason I started this thread is because I needed to know what I was dealing with before I talked to a kids coach. The kid had no intention of quitting, and he wanted a "couple weeks" to get grades back to where they needed to be. They had been slowly slipping, but he had important things coming up in class. He was trying to take care of the most important business, and that was his grades.

Kids are kids. I cannot believe I am sitting here defending a kid for trying to get his grades back to where they should be. He is not a gameboy, or playstation kid. He is a kid from a bad situation that is trying to do his best. And he is living a much better life than he ever has, but more freedom, and more choices, also means that he has to learn to juggle better. His grandma also needs to learn that this is not the 1970/80s anymore either. and raising a grandkid is not like raising her own kids.

Either way, kids are not made with cookie cutters. THey are all different. And they sometimes need to be handled differently.

anyways, the coach put it to the team captains. The team captains put it to a team vote. The team voted to have him back when it gets back to strength and conditioning. He is voluntarily doing his homework at practice instead of heading home. The track coach has cut his workout in half and is having him show completed assignments before competing.

And my boss has recieved 3 phone calls (2 from the coach, one from the principal) asking for him to give me afternoons off in the fall so that I can join the coaching staff. (that is NOT going to happen though)

Successful week for the kid. The staff handled it all good. Im a big fan of theirs now.

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Your post is kind of hit and miss. First off. I have screwed no one here, because when I talk to a coach or administrator, it is not to accuse anybody of anything. It is to get answers. Once I have solid, first hand answers, then I can go about the business of solving the problem. Sometimes the kid is just plain wrong. Sometimes the staff could bend a little and not look stupid. However, I never attack the coaching staff, and I didnt do it here. I was simply looking for answers, trying to be prepared for the questions that I was going to ask.

Contrary to popular opinion, I am not an idiot.

I have played sports, I have coached sports, and I am the parent of an athlete. (I was very successful as both a player and a coach, I was not a "participater) My kids have never been allowed to quit ANYTHING. And that doesnt mean that they show up and go through the motions. My kids will fight you for every breath of air you take, if that is what it takes to win. They compete on the field, on the court, in the classroom, and at the dinnertable if they think they can find a way to make a game out of eating. I have a box hidden in my garage that is full of the "participation trophies" that my oldest daughter recieved growing up. I pulled each of them out of the trash, and have saved them because she might actually appreciate them when she is an adult. But as for now, participation means nothing, all that counts is winning and losing. (my kids are not the greatest athletes, but nobody competes harder. period)

So, dont go that direction with me.

The reason I started this thread is because I needed to know what I was dealing with before I talked to a kids coach. The kid had no intention of quitting, and he wanted a "couple weeks" to get grades back to where they needed to be. They had been slowly slipping, but he had important things coming up in class. He was trying to take care of the most important business, and that was his grades.

Kids are kids. I cannot believe I am sitting here defending a kid for trying to get his grades back to where they should be. He is not a gameboy, or playstation kid. He is a kid from a bad situation that is trying to do his best. And he is living a much better life than he ever has, but more freedom, and more choices, also means that he has to learn to juggle better. His grandma also needs to learn that this is not the 1970/80s anymore either. and raising a grandkid is not like raising her own kids.

Either way, kids are not made with cookie cutters. THey are all different. And they sometimes need to be handled differently.

anyways, the coach put it to the team captains. The team captains put it to a team vote. The team voted to have him back when it gets back to strength and conditioning. He is voluntarily doing his homework at practice instead of heading home. The track coach has cut his workout in half and is having him show completed assignments before competing.

And my boss has recieved 3 phone calls (2 from the coach, one from the principal) asking for him to give me afternoons off in the fall so that I can join the coaching staff. (that is NOT going to happen though)

Successful week for the kid. The staff handled it all good. Im a big fan of theirs now.

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Glad the situation got resolved to your satisfaction.

What happens if his grades don't improve over the next 2 weeks?

Keep us informed.

Glad the situation got resolved to your satisfaction.

What happens if his grades don't improve over the next 2 weeks?

Keep us informed.

Thanks. If they do not improve, then he is done with football. Coach and I talked about that already. He would hate to lose him, I would hate to see him have to quit, but everyone is finally on the same page with this kid. Coach didnt know much about the kid, just knew that he transferred in, middle of the first semester. He has a better understanding now The kid has a better understanding of how to keep his school work up. He is in school early everyday, different class every morning, getting things caught up, and ahead if he can. Learning process for him. Biggest thing he learned is the power of communication. I think if he had been talking with his coach more before this, that it could have all been avoided. Coach has a tough exterior, and I think that scared him off. But they seem to have gotten past that now.

I wish the kid the best of luck gatorbill. Support him all you can. AND you have gained some respect in my book by keeping foster kids.

As far as Baxter football goes, every school has their priorities. Some are basketball,football,baseball or baseball,basketbal then football. Here in the County of Smith, I believe both schools(Smith Co. and Gordonsville) are football,first and foremost. Then basketball and baseball last. Football fans and parents love that. Baseball and basketball parents and fans hate that, but that's how it is, always has been and probably always will be. Probably the same way at Upperman.Whatever has been their number 1 will continue to be #1. Baxter may not consistanly be a force with that oblong ball,.but nobody looks foward to playing them in any type of sport with a round ball, of any sorts.

Smith County has 1 baseball field that is used by both high schools and a rec.league. That's how high baseball rates around here.

Anyway.....maybe the kid will get a chance....and that advantage of it. Education is the most important without any question, but if he is willing to work, IMO, football teaches more life lessons, and brings more lifetime friends than any other high school function.

Hey thanks Termite. The foster thing has been a great experience. I knew what we were getting into before we started, but nothing really prepares you for this until the first kid walks through the door. We now have a 1 year old boy, because his 16 year old mom ran away. And have a 14 and 17 year old girls for the next month or so, until school is out. The things that these kids have been through are very sad. Sad, disappointing, scary, there are not enough words to describe. But I highly recommend it. We felt we had a chance to give back, for all that has been given to us in life, and I think we are doing the right thing.

Sorry, was wandering off topic a bit, but I would love to talk others into getting into Fostering. There are a ton of kids out there that could use a new chance at life.

You are dead on about Baxter. I am a huge fan of basketball, baseball, softball. All of that. I love them. But football. Football is just different to me. It is more of a culture than a sport. I played football until I could not drag my body out on the field any more. I dont understand how a school like Upperman, with all of the great athletes walking the halls, can put out a team that is substandard. But they are so committed to the other sports, and they dont believe in letting a kid play football if they are playing the other sports. It is sad. So much potential, wasted.

Im hoping that Upperman can at least bring football to the point that Mich States football team was when I was growing up (sorry, it is a great comparison though). When I was growing up, MSU was not winning a ton of football games, but they were in all of the games until the end. And teams dreaded having to play them because they knew they were going to get beat physically. They were going to get pounded, and would hurt for days. Worse than any weekend of the season. They knew that MSU was going to bring it hard, every play, all game, win or lose. (unfortunately it was more losing than winning!! haha)

Rambling again. Moving on!!!