Live or dead

catchman

Riverdale man lets see can get this one or who has read the rule on this. Runners are on first and third, the pitcher has the ball inside the pitchers circle. She makes a motion to throw to first, but still is inside of the circle. When she makes the motion to throw first. Does the ball become alive when she makes the motion or stay dead. And can the runner at third steal home when she makes the motion. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Riverdale man lets see can get this one or who has read the rule on this. Runners are on first and third, the pitcher has the ball inside the pitchers circle. She makes a motion to throw to first, but still is inside of the circle. When she makes the motion to throw first. Does the ball become alive when she makes the motion or stay dead. And can the runner at third steal home when she makes the motion. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Just a guess, but I'd gues since the pitcher decided to "challange" a runner, the runners can advance at their own risk.......just my guess,, good question, want the answer...........

Just a guess, but I'd gues since the pitcher decided to "challange" a runner, the runners can advance at their own risk.......just my guess,, good question, want the answer...........

It gets tricky here because "making a motion" is a judgement call if the pitcher is challanging the runner. Usually the play becomes live once the motion is made, but I have seen runners called out because the "throw" was not made and the runner stopped on the throwing motion.

From the TSSAA rule book (which is the only one that matters if we're talking about a high school game)

Rule #8-7 article 1: (look back rule) The look back rule will be in effect when the ball is live, the batter-runner has touched first base or has been declared out, and the pitcher has possession of the ball within the circle.

Article 2: The runners may stop once, but then must immediately return to the base or attempt to advance to the next base.

In other words, no matter what the pitcher does with the ball (within the circle) the runner on third cannot advance. If the pitcher actually threw the ball toward first base to try to "pick off the runner", she would no longer have control of the ball within the circle and the runner on third would be able to advance. Hope this helps.

Wow! I must immediately correct myself. There is an exception at the end of rule 8-7 that says a fake throw is considered a play and the runners should not be called out if that happens. That's what I get for not reading the entire rule before posting!

Everyone disregard my last post!!!!!

Wow! I must immediately correct myself. There is an exception at the end of rule 8-7 that says a fake throw is considered a play and the runners should not be called out if that happens. That's what I get for not reading the entire rule before posting!

Everyone disregard my last post!!!!!

#12fan, I have seen it called both ways this year. Maybe more of the umps need to read more,, I know I should,,

Everyone smile, its a great day, /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />