Clinton's D. Stone MVP at Nike Camp

Bonfire

Well people can say what they want and win all the awards possible, and still be a good player and can have a 49 yard game and still be a good player. Payton Manning threw 5 or 6 ints and set a new team record I think? I mean every player has a off day , But a true test will be against that Alcoa Defense that held 8 teams scoreless. They out scored them 404 to 0.... I think this weekends scrimmage will be a TRUE test for this kid.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well people can say what they want and win all the awards possible, and still be a good player and can have a 49 yard game and still be a good player. Payton Manning threw 5 or 6 ints and set a new team record I think? I mean every player has a off day , But a true test will be against that Alcoa Defense that held 8 teams scoreless. They out scored them 404 to 0.... I think this weekends scrimmage will be a TRUE test for this kid.

Stone was an excellent talent at QB last year (much improved versus 2007). After last year, everyone could see what he is capable of, once he got more experience under his belt. However, he still is very raw, just like Kier Houston was at Powell. If Stone can become more consistent and put those tools together, Clinton could win the district title. There doesn't appear to be a dominating force (on paper) in this new district, so a more consistent Stone would make Clinton very dangerous. I don't really know who will challenge them, although Halls, Powell, and Central all had good young teams last year, plus Anderson County should be solid again this year, so I would think that this will be a competitive district, regardless.

First, I want to say that alcoa is a great team, and their ridiculous amount of state championships speak for themselves. I also think that alcoa's defense will be a true test for Clinton. However, with the exception of loudon, all of those teams that alcoa shut out last year were just plain bad. Alcoa is one of the premier programs in the state, and they have proven in their battles with maryville that they can play with anyone. However, I doubt that they would have put up 8 shutouts against the level of competition Clinton played last year....again, I think alcoa is great, and they would have beaten Clinton last year (they might put it on Clinton Saturday too), but beating bad 2A teams who combined for a 25-49 record isn't a good indicator of how alcoa's defense will perform against an extremely explosive, balanced offense. I guess what I'm trying to say is that, while alcoa will be a true test for darian stone and Clinton's offense, Clinton's offense will be more of a test than the offenses that the tornadoes shut out last year.

First, I want to say that alcoa is a great team, and their ridiculous amount of state championships speak for themselves. I also think that alcoa's defense will be a true test for Clinton. However, with the exception of loudon, all of those teams that alcoa shut out last year were just plain bad. Alcoa is one of the premier programs in the state, and they have proven in their battles with maryville that they can play with anyone. However, I doubt that they would have put up 8 shutouts against the level of competition Clinton played last year....again, I think alcoa is great, and they would have beaten Clinton last year (they might put it on Clinton Saturday too), but beating bad 2A teams who combined for a 25-49 record isn't a good indicator of how alcoa's defense will perform against an extremely explosive, balanced offense. I guess what I'm trying to say is that, while alcoa will be a true test for darian stone and Clinton's offense, Clinton's offense will be more of a test than the offenses that the tornadoes shut out last year.

I meant 28-49...not 25-49

Yeah that is true, Loudon was a good test and this year it would be more impressive to say that against people like fulton and loudon and Marryville and bell county. One team that was also impressive that wasnt really noted was the 1st round game against cumberland gap, They moved the ball well with passing and drove down to the red zone some and just never could click to score. That was 63 of the 404. So with a good passing attack you can move the ball some but you have to protect the qb also. I dont really know how well the Clinton O-line was last season but it will be hard to compare them to Mr.Football in Tyler Robinson and Returning Darwin Kerr and Darrell Warren. And the mix of Defense Tackles and ends. But yeah in the end it will be a good if not great test for the defense

Yeah that is true, Loudon was a good test and this year it would be more impressive to say that against people like fulton and loudon and Marryville and bell county. One team that was also impressive that wasnt really noted was the 1st round game against cumberland gap, They moved the ball well with passing and drove down to the red zone some and just never could click to score. That was 63 of the 404. So with a good passing attack you can move the ball some but you have to protect the qb also. I dont really know how well the Clinton O-line was last season but it will be hard to compare them to Mr.Football in Tyler Robinson and Returning Darwin Kerr and Darrell Warren. And the mix of Defense Tackles and ends. But yeah in the end it will be a good if not great test for the defense

True, Cumberland Gap did have a pretty good passing attack. I actually forgot about that. Alcoa's line will be a huge challenge for Clinton's front. I would have to say that Clinton's line was the weakest link on offense last year. It will help Clinton that Hazelhurst is healthy. He is a weapon that Clinton didn't have for most of the year last year. He has the ability to make something out of nothing when he gets his hands on the ball. A good running game can help slow a pass rush, but Alcoa will probably be the most talented front they've seen in some time.

True, Cumberland Gap did have a pretty good passing attack. I actually forgot about that. Alcoa's line will be a huge challenge for Clinton's front. I would have to say that Clinton's line was the weakest link on offense last year. It will help Clinton that Hazelhurst is healthy. He is a weapon that Clinton didn't have for most of the year last year. He has the ability to make something out of nothing when he gets his hands on the ball. A good running game can help slow a pass rush, but Alcoa will probably be the most talented front they've seen in some time.

any other kids from tennessee attend the nike camp ?

I agree, Clinton's O-line was the clear weak spot on offense last year. Hazelhurst has the ability to make something out of nothing anytime he has the football, but in order for this team to really turn the corner, they have to protect Darian Stone.

I agree, Clinton's O-line was the clear weak spot on offense last year. Hazelhurst has the ability to make something out of nothing anytime he has the football, but in order for this team to really turn the corner, they have to protect Darian Stone.

Clinton's O-line didnt give up alot of sacks last season, but that is because of Stone throwing out of the shotgun formation alot and rolling out as well. As far as dropping back and throwing....i mostly remember alot of 3 step drops and throwing before the defence had time to get to Stone.

Alcoa's defence is going to be the best Clinton has seen in several years and will show us what we will need to work on to get better for the up and coming season. I am excited about the scrimmage and cant wait to see how things go. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />