Carson-Newman Wrestling Presents Its Case

bbb

Carson-Newman Wrestling Gives Its Final Speech

The vast majority of the wrestling world in Tennessee and even beyond the Volunteer state's borders are aware that Carson-Newman College (Jefferson City, Tenn.) has made several budget cuts for the 2009-2010 school year.

Included in the cuts is the elimination of the 31-year-old varsity wrestling program.

Today at 2 p.m. EDT, CN wrestling coach Don Elia will meet with the school's athletic committee to present his case in hopes of restoring the program for next season. He will answer five questions that the committee has given him, dealing mostly with budgetary items.

The nine member athletic committee - all are CN board of trustees ??????" will present their views and findings on the wrestling program and other school programs at the full board's Friday session.

Elia and the wrestling program have made significant positive contributions to the school for three decades.

The numbers are impressive ??????" 376 wins (against 242 losses, one tie), 55 All-Americans, five national champions and nine national top-10 finishes.

But according to school officials, approximately 10% of student tuition (and fees) dollars are considered a credit on the overall school's operation balance sheet.

In layman's terms, the other 90% of tuition and fees goes towards expenses of educating a student and all that that entails.

The college also uses a variety of donations and other revenue sources to assist in the school's day-to-day operations.

Other athletic budget cuts have been made for 2009-2010, but after reviewing the team's total balance sheet, the only sport to be eliminated is wrestling.

The college sponsors approximately 450 student-athletes in 17 intercollegiate sports. Carson-Newman is a member of the NCAA and the South Atlantic Conference, but wrestling is not a conference sport.

Eighteen professors and support staff have lost their jobs for 2009-2010, along with some areas of study, but no majors have been eliminated. Some departments have had to re-vamp day-to-day operations to meet the new budget requirements.

Coach Elia and current and former wrestlers have given CN a great deal of positive local and national publicity and it is difficult for many in the wrestling community to know that another varsity wrestling program (along with other sports at other colleges) has been eliminated.

Today, Elia makes what is most likely his final team speech.

Contact B.B. Branton at william.branton@comcast.net

Let me guess! The athletic board will take all of the data under consideration and make a decision at a later date. They know the answer is no now but the final decision will be released at the end of the school year where they are able to leave campus and don't have to answer any questions. I hope that it does not go down this way but I have watched this happen many times before with various programs.

from what I understand, the school doesn't plan to make a comment about wrestling .. it was not the only area hit by the budget cuts .. unless the school reverses its decision - which is highly unlikely - then it sees no need to comment on a decision already made .. if it did reiterate that the wrestling program has been cut, then the administration would have to re-state its decision on the 18 professors and support stff which were terminated, etc.

b.b.b.

THIS IS WHAT PAUL TUCKER WROTE ON THE SAVE C-N WRESLING FACEBOOK SITE:

The meeting last Thursday just left the final decision up to the President and the Athletic Director. However, they are willing to work with us now, which is a big advancement. So, I am meeting with the AD, David Barger, and the Advancement Director, Mike Turner, this week to put a financial plan together for the reinstatement of the wrestling program. We are going to have to fully endow the program to get it back. That means raising money. My goal is to get a scheduled set of milestones towards full endowment in place. I would like to try to get the program reinstated prior to it being fully endowed, so that we have more time to raise money. I will keep this site updated with results of meetings. We are going to have to raise approximatley $2,000,000.00 total to fully endow the program.

Thanks,

Paul

SO GET YOUR CHECKBOOKS READY AND LET SEE WHAT WE CAN DO TO SAVE THIS PROGRAM,

THE ANIMAL

HERE IS THE LASTEST MESSAGE FROM PAUL TUCKER:

To all who support the great sport of wrestling:

A lot has happened in the last week. It has been a while since I have sent an update and I wanted to fill everyone in on recent progress and setbacks. This past week, I had discussions with President O'Brien and David Barger, the athletic director. During our discussions, I learned that Carson Newman Athletics made a very big blunder by constructing the new football stadium and complex based upon pledges and not money in the bank. The end result of that was the primary donor backed out due to Carson Newman not meeting a stipulation that was set by the donor to give the money. This donor backed out and left Carson-Newman with about a $5,000,000.00 loan on the new complex. What does this mean to us? This means, that in the infinite wisdom of the administration, C-N drops the wrestling team to try to save money because the stadium has strapped them financially. Likewise, through our discussions with O'Brien and Barger, we have been given one and only one option to save the wrestling program. They want us to raise enough money to fully endow the program. They say that the program needs $100,000.00 per year to keep it at the competitive level that it has achieved to this point. This means that we need to raise $2,000,000.00 to endow the program. For those of you who may not understand how an endowment works, the seed money (our $2,000,000.00 that we will raise) goes into an interest bearing account and this seed money is never used. The yearly interest that is produced by the account would be approximately $100,000.00. This $100,000.00 in interest is the money that would then be used every year to fund the program. So, we need to raise $2,000,000.00. Not only does the administration want the program to be endowed, but they also want the endowment to be in place for 1 year before they will bring back the program. During our meeting, I asked if we raised $2,100,000.00 could we use the additional $100,000.00 to immediately reinstate the program and then we wouldn't have to wait an additional year after reaching the $2,000.000.00 goal. The administration agreed to this. So, in reality we need to raise, $2,100,000.00 to save the program.

This morning, I was interviewed by Scott Casber on Takedown Radio TV, which is a nationally broadcast program about wrestling. We had approximately a 15 minute interview, and he plugged us really hard. He asked everyone to give to the program and gave out my contact information. Likewise, during the interview, I tried to show that we can save Carson Newman's Wrestling program at 1/4 of the cost that it took to Save ASU's program and what is projected to reinstate the University of Oregon's program. (Both of those program's cost over $8,000,000.00 to endow.)

We are still taking pledges, and we are assembling a board of directors for the Carson Newman Wrestling Endowment Fund. I would like the board to be composed of influential members who can make things happen and who are willing to work to save this program. The board will be composed of 10-15 people. As soon as the entity "Carson Newman Wrestling Endowment Fund" has been formed we will start taking real donations and converting the pledges.

Today, I had a conversation with Chris Vandergriff, who is full of ideas to help, as well as one of Chris's friends, Buddy Landel. Some of you may now Buddy from his professional wrestling days. Buddy and I spoke for about 30 minutes about the program and how we can save it. Buddy is also full of ideas and has a large number of influential contacts. Buddy and I are going to have a meeting next Saturday to discuss plans to raise money and save the program. Buddy is very energized about helping us and wants to make a difference. Likewise, Chris and I are going to attend the High School wrestling coaches scheduling meeting on Tuesday to address the regional high school coaches for support.

Although, the goals that we have in front of us are lofty and the road may be tough, I am not now nor have I ever been a quitter. We need to band together and save this program. It is too important to our regional wrestling and to the state of wrestling in general. Thank you for your support and keep up with the suggestions and pledges. Remember to contact anyone that you can and tell them about our struggle and ask for help. Please email responses to Paul@TuckerEmail.com

Thank you all,

Paul

Paul D. Tucker, PE

President

Professional Engineering & Inspection Services, PLLC

3001 Holbrook Drive

Knoxville, TN 37918

Office 865-689-7292

Fax 865-689-7229

Mobile 865-300-9923

HERE IS THE LASTEST MESSAGE FROM PAUL TUCKER:

To all who support the great sport of wrestling:

A lot has happened in the last week. It has been a while since I have sent an update and I wanted to fill everyone in on recent progress and setbacks. This past week, I had discussions with President O'Brien and David Barger, the athletic director. During our discussions, I learned that Carson Newman Athletics made a very big blunder by constructing the new football stadium and complex based upon pledges and not money in the bank. The end result of that was the primary donor backed out due to Carson Newman not meeting a stipulation that was set by the donor to give the money. This donor backed out and left Carson-Newman with about a $5,000,000.00 loan on the new complex. What does this mean to us? This means, that in the infinite wisdom of the administration, C-N drops the wrestling team to try to save money because the stadium has strapped them financially. Likewise, through our discussions with O'Brien and Barger, we have been given one and only one option to save the wrestling program. They want us to raise enough money to fully endow the program. They say that the program needs $100,000.00 per year to keep it at the competitive level that it has achieved to this point. This means that we need to raise $2,000,000.00 to endow the program. For those of you who may not understand how an endowment works, the seed money (our $2,000,000.00 that we will raise) goes into an interest bearing account and this seed money is never used. The yearly interest that is produced by the account would be approximately $100,000.00. This $100,000.00 in interest is the money that would then be used every year to fund the program. So, we need to raise $2,000,000.00. Not only does the administration want the program to be endowed, but they also want the endowment to be in place for 1 year before they will bring back the program. During our meeting, I asked if we raised $2,100,000.00 could we use the additional $100,000.00 to immediately reinstate the program and then we wouldn't have to wait an additional year after reaching the $2,000.000.00 goal. The administration agreed to this. So, in reality we need to raise, $2,100,000.00 to save the program.

This morning, I was interviewed by Scott Casber on Takedown Radio TV, which is a nationally broadcast program about wrestling. We had approximately a 15 minute interview, and he plugged us really hard. He asked everyone to give to the program and gave out my contact information. Likewise, during the interview, I tried to show that we can save Carson Newman's Wrestling program at 1/4 of the cost that it took to Save ASU's program and what is projected to reinstate the University of Oregon's program. (Both of those program's cost over $8,000,000.00 to endow.)

We are still taking pledges, and we are assembling a board of directors for the Carson Newman Wrestling Endowment Fund. I would like the board to be composed of influential members who can make things happen and who are willing to work to save this program. The board will be composed of 10-15 people. As soon as the entity "Carson Newman Wrestling Endowment Fund" has been formed we will start taking real donations and converting the pledges.

Today, I had a conversation with Chris Vandergriff, who is full of ideas to help, as well as one of Chris's friends, Buddy Landel. Some of you may now Buddy from his professional wrestling days. Buddy and I spoke for about 30 minutes about the program and how we can save it. Buddy is also full of ideas and has a large number of influential contacts. Buddy and I are going to have a meeting next Saturday to discuss plans to raise money and save the program. Buddy is very energized about helping us and wants to make a difference. Likewise, Chris and I are going to attend the High School wrestling coaches scheduling meeting on Tuesday to address the regional high school coaches for support.

Although, the goals that we have in front of us are lofty and the road may be tough, I am not now nor have I ever been a quitter. We need to band together and save this program. It is too important to our regional wrestling and to the state of wrestling in general. Thank you for your support and keep up with the suggestions and pledges. Remember to contact anyone that you can and tell them about our struggle and ask for help. Please email responses to Paul@TuckerEmail.com

Thank you all,

Paul

Paul D. Tucker, PE

President

Professional Engineering & Inspection Services, PLLC

3001 Holbrook Drive

Knoxville, TN 37918

Office 865-689-7292

Fax 865-689-7229

Mobile 865-300-9923

Paul,

I have added the ability to collect donations to our website for ScienceHillSports.com. You can to to www.ScienceHillSports.com and navigater to the donations page in wrestling or go directly by : http://www.sciencehillsports.com/20082009t...tling/id33.html . I don't know what this might bring in but we'll find out. Also, if you like I can set up a website just for this effort to provide a central location for what is happening with articles, photos, blogsite, etc. We can show a running total of whrere we are on the collections. I will be happy to donate my time for this. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Aaron

l

Paul,

I have added the ability to collect donations to our website for ScienceHillSports.com. You can to to www.ScienceHillSports.com and navigater to the donations page in wrestling or go directly by : http://www.sciencehillsports.com/20082009t...tling/id33.html . I don't know what this might bring in but we'll find out. Also, if you like I can set up a website just for this effort to provide a central location for what is happening with articles, photos, blogsite, etc. We can show a running total of whrere we are on the collections. I will be happy to donate my time for this. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Aaron

AARON,

THIS IS A GREAT WEBSITE, ONE OF THE BEST THAT I HAVE SEEN. PLEASE GIVE ME MORE INFO.

THE ANIMAL

Paul,

Aaron

AARON,

THIS IS A GREAT WEBSITE, ONE OF THE BEST THAT I HAVE SEEN. PLEASE GIVE ME MORE INFO.

THE ANIMAL

Animal,

Send your email address to webmaster@sciencehillsports.com and I will get back to you.