Volunteer Falcons 2009

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I could've seen the scrimmage. Devin's got a load of talent and a bright future ahead of him.

Now, I'm not coaching there, but I'm thinking that the "reverse" you're referring to is what most teams call "Jet Sweep." It's where the WR goes in motion and gets a handoff right behind the QB while he's moving, right? I've always wondered why Volunteer runs it so much, but a lot of teams--especially spread teams-- use it as the base play in their offense to set everything else up. They see it as a cheap and easy way to get the ball to one of their fastest players when he's already running full speed while everyone else is still standing around flat footed. They see it as forcing the defense to respect the outside run first, then they'll work back to the inside with a counter to the other side, a handoff right underneath that DE and OLB who've hopefully jumped the fake, etc. That's the theory, at least.

The only thing about the Jet is that in order for it to be effective you really need a lead blocker to seal that OLB or S or that guy will just step up and easily kill the play. This is a play that works great in spread offenses because you've got another slot receiver there to block down on that OLB/S, but I've seen the Falcons run it a lot from the I formation without that blocker there and it never gets anywhere. I also don't think I've ever seen them fake to the motion man and then run underneath him to the same side, so that takes away a big part of the play's effectiveness. Maybe 1 out of 10 times it works and the WR rips off a big run, but the other 90% of the time it's a wasted play.

I'm really suspicious of a lot of teams out there going to some kind of spread. Everybody now thinks that if they start the field they'll turn into an offensive juggernaut, but that only works if they have enough of a passing offense to keep the defense from stacking the box. If an offense isn't scaring a defense like that, they'll just man up on all those WRs and put 7 in the box vs. your 5 or 6 blockers and play "hit the man with the football." It's not like the old days, when spread offenses were something unusual and defenses didn't know how to play 'em. When everybody does it, you've got to do it better than everyone else or find something else to do.

Personally, I think with the talent Volunteer has, they'd do well to just focus on a very small handful of things they can do well and stick to it. Design an offense around 2 or 3 plays they know backward and forward, put in a few that compliment/work off them really well ("when the defense does this, we do that" sort of stuff). They always try to throw the ball too much without getting good at it first.

Nice post Coachinghopeful. I think you understand what it takes to win football games. Any luck on finding a job?

I was disappointed at the Greeneville scrimmage last Friday. Gville scored whenever they wanted and shut VHS down for the most part. I'm glad it wasn't a game.

The Defense has to do a better job wrapping up when they tackle. Way to many missed tackles against Gville.

The Offense has a lot of playmakers and I believe the line is coming around. VHS should be able to move the football down the field, but I think that running the SPREAD for the majority of the plays is hurting the Offense. If they continue using that formation PLEASE come up with some more plays. The jet sweep may work one time a game. It is also hard to run the football in that formation, because the defense still loads the box and the offense doesn't have enough blockers to make any holes. I wish they would run the ball more with a tightend and fullback in the game to block. If Volunteer has a running game to go along with the passing they should be okay. Its hard to win games when you are one dimensional.

I think Volunteer will get better the next few weeks and be ready for the 1st game. :ugeek:

VHS running the spread has nothing to do with the lack of running the football especially when you have such a talented RB inDevon. If line could just open up a hole just a little Devon with his ability can get through there andmake things happen. I would try throwing the ball to Devon a little more in the flats and get him in the open field. I agree that the jet sweep doesnt work but maybe once or twice a game. Its really designed for the defense to respect that slot WR coming in motion across the field and if you are going to run the jet sweep why not have Devon run it? The kid makes things happen. Its obvious hes Volunteer's most dangerous threat when he gets the ball in his hands. I see the kid practice about everyday and some of the stuff he does amazes me and the fact hes still very young impresses me even more. I would get the ball in his hands at LEAST 20 times a game whether that be handing it off to him in a I formation or in the spread, thrwoing it to him out of the backfield,or running the jet sweep to him. I would also have him returning punts and kicks. I mean what do you have to lose? Hes your best player on the offensive side of the ball utilize that to the fullest. I wuld even line him up at QB in a certain formation and let him do his thing. I mean really if you want to put points on the board and since Devon is your biggest homerun threat utilize him to the fullest. I know coaches are worried about him getting tired an i can understand that but Ive seen it all summer in practice and Devon can take hit after hit and still keep coming at you as hard as he can. Volunteer will be just fine line needs a little wok but they are coming around. I expect them to compete in this new conferece. They WILL win some games this year mark my words!!! Also get the ball in RJ's hands more as well. Run some reverses to him throw it to him deep that kid is another playmaker that needs the ball in hiands in anyway that they can get to him. He may be another option at putting at QB in certain formations. What do we realy have to lose? No one but VHS fans and coaches expect much out of us so lets makeit happen. Im very excited about this season.

Good luck today guys vs GC bounce back from the Greeneville Scrimmage and get ready to face DB in the jamboree. Should be a fun couple of days coming up.

Oh and if you see a freshman QB come into the game during the GC scrimmage that is my cousin please welcome him to high school football. lol But he is a great athlete so watch out

Good scrimmage tonight against GC. Volunteer looked a whole lot better than they did last friday. Luke was on target hitting a bunch of wide recievers. Micheal Franklin, Jake Crowe, RJ williams and Joey Lawson all did a great job with the pigskin tonight. I thought Jordan Lawson ran the ball well and also had some nice punts and extra points. The O line looks like they are getting better. They did a good job tonight. Starting to feel a little better about the Offense.

The Defense looked good at times tonight. They improved from last week. They still need to work on wrapping up when they tackle. Not as many missed tackles as last week. I noticed that the linebackers and DE's are not doing a good job of reading the plays and they are making it easy for opposing offenses. You can't over pursue the play and take yourself out of position to make a tackle. I believe the coaching staff will work the little things out and have the Defense ready.

Things are starting to come together. Keep working hard Falcons.

I hate that I missed the scrimmage tonight, but it wasn't listed on the summer schedule on the Falcons website and couldn't get off work to make it. But tomorrow night I can't wait to see how all the conference looks at the jamboree. I have heard some Falcons have been sick including Luke and Devin, I hope they get over being sick and are 100% for next week at Betsy.

I agree with you Doubleplay96, Devin definitely needs the ball atleast 25 times a game, and a hole opened by the O-line and he will make things happen.

I know this year we have a great QB in Luke and this is his senior season, so hopefully during the off season Coach Rider will build the program around Devin and his god given talent, as he will have him for two more seasons after this year.