MBA to close for Swine Flu. What will happen in sports?

Before I go any further I hope and pray for all of those in our state and around the world who have contracted this illness.

I see that MBA in Nashville has closed for 7 days. The headmaster has ordered all extra curricular activities halted. In fact their JV soccer game with DCA was stopped during the middle of the game. Odds are that by Monday several other schools will be closed by health departments.

The TSSAA director said they will not make any decisions until Regions start (per Tennessean). Thus, it implied to me that the Districts are on their own to decide what to do about schools shutting down.

Has anyone from MBA or their district heard what will happen with their playoffs?

What has anyone heard from their AD, headmasters, principals?

Some questions.

1- If one school in a large district (even an elementary school) has a sick child will all of the schools close down?

2- Lets say in one district of 8 teams only one or two teams shut down will the whole tournament be cancelled?

3- If a district tournament is cancelled who goes to regions?

I am sure that there are hundreds of sites/ blogs dedicated to all of the impact this tragedy has caused. I am on here to see what anyone has heard or thinks will happen regarding high school soccer.

Personally, I think the TSSAA will have to set a policy. If its left up to administrators at multiple schools private and public there will/ may be strife. I think if several schools around the state are closing then the district tournaments need to be postponed.

Alabama has postponed its state tournament. Will Tennessee do the same?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The more I think about this, the more it "scares" me. So, is MBA automatically out of all spring sports? You know if this is already happening to one school in TN it is bound to happen to others. I believe the article in the paper said 2 or 3 schools already in Nashville are closed.

Man, this could get hairy...

Today I heard, at least in 11AAA that if schools in our district close, then the top 2 regular season teams will advance. even if the tournament starts and then our school system shuts down and ravenwood or brentwood has been beaten, both teams will advance no matter what; that's what I understand at this point

Today I heard, at least in 11AAA that no if schools in our district close, then the top 2 regular season teams will advance; even if the tournament starts and then our school system shuts down and ravenwood or brentwood has been beaten, both teams will advance no matter what; that's what I understand at this point

This makes no sense....maybe I just don't get it.

The deal for Williamson County teams is that if the county shuts school down due to the swine flu, the top two seeded teams (Ravenwood and Brentwood) get the two bids to the state tournament if the district tournament is stopped before the championship game is played, even if either of the top two seeded teams have lost prior to that in the quarter or semi finals.

I'm not sure if the other districts have adopted this.

Does anyone know anything about the situation for the D2 Middle Region because MBA is no longer allowed to play their semifinal game for the Middle region on Tuesday...?

The deal for Williamson County teams is that if the county shuts school down due to the swine flu, the top two seeded teams (Ravenwood and Brentwood) get the two bids to the state tournament if the district tournament is stopped before the championship game is played, even if either of the top two seeded teams have lost prior to that in the quarter or semi finals.

Does anyone know anything about the situation for the D2 Middle Region because MBA is no longer allowed to play their semifinal game for the Middle region on Tuesday...?

that is what I was trying to say

I kinda get it If they get to round games where one of the top two loose...they still advance..I would rathe see a team that knocked out a 1 or 2 advance..

As far as the MBA situation, I would do this if nothing changes before Sunday.

Play first round games.

Schedule 2nd round games 7 days from cancellation of all sports for MBA, so they would have a chance to

play if nothing else changes.

A 12 year old at a private Catholic school was tested positive this week in Collierville, TN. The Press conference from the mayor and health department said they were taking the CDC's recommendation of closing for 7 to 10 days in order to "clean" the school and investigate possible contacts with the infected students.

Collierville is a relatively small town suburb of Memphis and part of the Shelby County school district. The School Board indicated that they would react to cases or probable cases on a "per school" basis unless directed otherwise by the health department.

Although the school in question has about four or five other schools (elementary, private, high school, middle), none of them have closed as a result of this positive test.

So as to the question:

1- If one school in a large district (even an elementary school) has a sick child will all of the schools close down?

I would say no, unless your school district goes beyond the cautionary recommendations of the CDC.

Were there cases at West Valley or are they closing to be cautious? Any other Knoxville or area schools closing?

There was ONE UNCONFIRMED case! Now they close the whole school for a week. All extra curricular activities are also canceled. It is just a matter of time before other Knox county schools close.

Did the TSSAA step in for the Williamson County situation, or was that a school board decision? The TSSAA is going to need to be PROACTIVE in this one. District tourney starts tomorrow!

There was ONE UNCONFIRMED case! Now they close the whole school for a week. All extra curricular activities are also canceled. It is just a matter of time before other Knox county schools close.

Did the TSSAA step in for the Williamson County situation, or was that a school board decision? The TSSAA is going to need to be PROACTIVE in this one. District tourney starts tomorrow!

It is interesting to note that 30,000 Americans die each year from the regular flu. I am not saying that the swine flu is not serious, I am just curious if it is as serious as it is being made out to be. I leave that to wiser heads.

You are right about the District Tournaments. The TSSAA needs to set policy now as more schools will be effected by this.