MBA to close for Swine Flu. What will happen in sports?

The TSSAA's tournament policy is to leave it totally up to the schools until such time as the TSSAA takes over, which for spring sports is at region tourney time. They will not, in my opinion, step in until next week should this affect the region tournaments. It will be up to the districts to provide the teams that advance to the region, however they should decide to do it.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

West Valley Middle School in Knoxville now closed until Friday, May 8th...

I teach at a West Valley feeder school and think we should close as well due to the large number of WV siblings in my classes. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Maybe that's just me longing for summer...

It's always cool to see a coacht post. It's like seeing the wizard in the Wizard of Oz.

In our district they will do everything possible to get the tourney in, up to a point. Once they decide in baseball, for example, that they are hurting our district's chance of competing next week (by "using up" the pitching) then they will call off the tourney and send the regular season champion and runner-up to the region. Sometimes it is hard, since everyone wants the decision to be made on the field, to pull the plug on the district tourney but it will become obvious at some point that it has to be done.

I am thinking about the weather here more so than the flu. The flu could be a whole other ballgame. Your championship school could be the one closed, for example.

It is interesting to note that 30,000 Americans die each year from the regular flu. I am not saying that the swine flu is not serious, I am just curious if it is as serious as it is being made out to be. I leave that to wiser heads.

Unfortunately, yes it is that serious. Yes 36,000 die each year from flu but with the H1N1 Influenza NOONE has been vaccinated so the chance of a lot of people getting sick at once in a cluster could be very traumatic to a community. Maybe those in the bigger cities would have more resources but can you imagine in a small rural community like Dyersburg if the Walmart should close and the two other grocery stores because the staff is all out sick. Can you imagine if banks and gas stations and drug stores close because the workers all have the flu? Schools are closed because the likelihood of cross contamination is so great because of such close contact and such large numbers and well, kids are hard to keep sterile. With this type of epidemic it is so much better to be safe than sorry. It may all turn out to be reletively mild as FLU goes but you can be pretty darn sick even with a mild case! And if the local economy starts to be effected by widespread absences then everyone suffers. Maybe it was just one child in a school at first but that child was shedding virus contaminents at least a day or two before anyone knew he was sick. It can quickly get out of hand.

My family is all soccer and our team has a good chance this year of doing well and if events are cancelled it will be terribly disappointing especially for our seniors but I for one am glad that schools are taking this seriously.

Unfortunately, yes it is that serious. Yes 36,000 die each year from flu but with the H1N1 Influenza NOONE has been vaccinated so the chance of a lot of people getting sick at once in a cluster could be very traumatic to a community. Maybe those in the bigger cities would have more resources but can you imagine in a small rural community like Dyersburg if the Walmart should close and the two other grocery stores because the staff is all out sick. Can you imagine if banks and gas stations and drug stores close because the workers all have the flu? Schools are closed because the likelihood of cross contamination is so great because of such close contact and such large numbers and well, kids are hard to keep sterile. With this type of epidemic it is so much better to be safe than sorry. It may all turn out to be reletively mild as FLU goes but you can be pretty darn sick even with a mild case! And if the local economy starts to be effected by widespread absences then everyone suffers. Maybe it was just one child in a school at first but that child was shedding virus contaminents at least a day or two before anyone knew he was sick. It can quickly get out of hand.

My family is all soccer and our team has a good chance this year of doing well and if events are cancelled it will be terribly disappointing especially for our seniors but I for one am glad that schools are taking this seriously.

So you are going to close the schools every time one student gets the flu? No matter what kind they get you will have to close schools until you know what kind it is. What happens if we ever have a real health problem? Dyersburg survived real well before they even had a Walmart.

So you are going to close the schools every time one student gets the flu? No matter what kind they get you will have to close schools until you know what kind it is. What happens if we ever have a real health problem? Dyersburg survived real well before they even had a Walmart.

Yes, if it is an influenza where NOBODY on the planet has been innoculated. I dont believe you are grasping the concept of a true widespread epidemic. Be flippant if you want but I worry about what I would do if my children were sick and no store was open because everyone is sick. I remember when my grandmother had the Asian influenza back in the 70's and I've never seen someone so sick before or since. I'm pretty sure you've never had the flu or taken care of anyone with it or you wouldn't reply so disrespectfully. This is a real health problem. Schools are closing based on recommendations by the CDC. The Center for Disease Control does not make such recommendations lightly so they should be taken VERY seriously.

The MBA student who got sick- went to the hospital, got some Tamiflu, went home and will be fine in another day or so. You can't close the school every time someone sneezes. Take your kid to the doc and keep him home if he gets sick. I've had the flu. Who hasn't?

Had the flu once a couple years ago. Just stayed home for a week and was back. No medication. Just rest, and let your body fight it off. You don't even need a vaccine.

I don't take meds for this reason. The body's immune system is better when it can fight off disease on its own.

Obviously if the situation goes deadly then it's time to let magic take over.

The cases in the United States are not that serious at this point and across the world the amount of cases seem to be leveling off. I'm not too worried about it.