2009 state tourny in tn

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

East TN pyro, wow I haven't seen them play but I heard they're really good... But to the state tournament they said Blake Golden was giving #24(not sure if that's the number but the tall dude) the business..

Gomerpyle Why didn't the Travelers try to get Blake on their team?

That's understandable there however I thought that rule was geared more toward your 15U, 16U, and 17U teams???? I know when' you're still in MIddle School per say, you should allow them to LIVE their lives and play youth league sports!!!! THat's kind of bad there.. Did yall even give him a look?

Why is it that you all don't take football players? What's behind that rule?

Our purpose is to help guys get college scholarships. Most dual-sport athletes end up being better football players, and many of them end up playing college football - which is great.

That just isn't our purpose. We want guys that are dedicated to basketball year-round. It isn't for everybody, but it's our policy, and it's worked pretty darn well for over 20 years.

And, when we play the other Nike teams in the 15, 16, and 17-u age divisions like the New York Gauchos, BABC, etc., we are playing against guys who don't play football. If those teams have basketball-only players and we were to have football players, who would have the competitive advantage?

You just can't compete at that level if you have guys that are spending 3 or 4 months a year on the football field. There may be a few exceptions, like Iverson for example, but they are few and far between at the end of the day.

And, when we play the other Nike teams in the 15, 16, and 17-u age divisions

You just can't compete at that level if you have guys that are spending 3 or 4 months a year on the football field. There may be a few exceptions, like Iverson for example, but they are few and far between at the end of the day.

I understand that but we're talking 14u age group you didn't mention that age group in that statement you just had... And we were also talking about Blake Golden which is 14 and one of the best 14 year old players in the State in my opinion. you stated that he played football... How many of the 14U Travelers plays football? Come let's be real here.

We are real. Have been for over 20 years.

Blake is very good. Good kid, too. We would love to have him provided he doesn't play football in high school. If he does, I'm sure he'll do very well. He is a very good athlete.

Gomer,

Not saying your lying but you do have at least one football player on the 14 team and he is a quarterback from SE TN.