2009 state tourny in tn

Where would SE be?

Also, all our players know that if they plan to play high school football then that would preclude them from playing with us. Some of those guys may have played in middle school but do not intend to play in high school, and that's the difference.

We certainly don't hold it against anybody who wants to play high school football - I love football personally, but that's not what we are looking for in a basketball player.

We've had a ton of guys over the years who played football through middle school then chose to give it up in 9th grade.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've had a ton of guys over the years who played football through middle school then chose to give it up in 9th grade.

I disagree!!! I know there's 2 players who were outstanding in football growing up and he stated that the Travelers forced him to give up football. The two players i"m talking about attend AE, well one just graduated this year, but the other one could've led AE to some state titles but he wanted to play with the Travelers and that hurt AE's chances.

I don't disagree with your rule but let the kids and parents make the decision don't force these players to quit football just to come play with the Travelers.

Also, you mention that "Some of those guys may have played in middle school but do not intend to play in high school, and that's the difference." Then in another post you made, you stated that Blake Golden plays football. I mean, like JustDOIT is stating you have football players on that 14U team. How many players on your 14U team plays football?

We don't force anybody to do anything. It's a choice to play with us. It's a choice to play football. That's what life is about. Nobody said these were easy choices. We do let them make the decision.

Our policy isn't for everybody, but we stand by it. The track record speaks for itself. Nike is aware of it and supports it.

It is my understanding Blake intends to keep playing football in high school.

East TN pyro, wow I haven't seen them play but I heard they're really good... But to the state tournament they said Blake Golden was giving #24(not sure if that's the number but the tall dude) the business..

Gomerpyle Why didn't the Travelers try to get Blake on their team?

I've seen Pyro play several times this season and they are tough. Rumor has it that Adidas is going to sponsor them next season. That would be a good move for both because they have proven that they can play with anyone in the state.

As far as Golden is concerned it worked out better for him with Pyro because he would have had to play guard for the Travelers.

That's the rule.

This just clarifies it that the Travelers are in it for the money, not the development of the player. If they were then they would encourage them to play football. If you talk to a college recruiter they would be the first to tell you that they would rather take a multi-sport athlete over a single sport athlete. The reasoning is simple, the multi-sport athlete hasn't devoted all of his time to one sport, and colleges love the fact that they are as good as they are without that primary concentration at that one sport.

I have seen and enjoyed the Travelers play for last 10 years or so, I don't see that what they are doing is helping these kids basketball wise besides giving them exposure. They are not truly developing their game with AAU, they are getting exposure against better competition and college coaches. So why not let them play whatever they want and show everyone that you actually care about youth athletics. If a kid is better at football and gets recruited to play football, then good for him. He is getting to goto college for free, isn't that the goal,