Soddy/ Riverdale

orangeman

It is one game and anything can happen in one game. This format probably should be best of 3. Has there ever been any thoughts of that in Regions and sectionals. It is double elim in districts. This way the team that goes will definately be the most deserving if they can win 2 of 3.

Any thoughts from anyone.

Okay... my daughter's team is still in it, so the others can't say I only hold the opinion because we got beat in one.

I'm one who thinks the softball playoff format is whacked.

Double elimination District

One game do-or-die single elimination (Region)

Non-elimination game that counts only for home field (Region Final)

One game do-or-die single elimination (Sectional)

Double elimination State

Double, Single, Nothing, Single, Double. It's always seemed goofy to me - especially in a sport like softball. A single game in softball often doesn't always result in the best team winning that particular game. When a team wins a one game playoff, they won it and deserve the win, but that isn't necessarily the same as being the "best" team in a lot of cases. That's part of what is most enjoyable about softball. (Even though this is the Soddy/Riverdale thread, that comment has nothing to do with either team - I haven't seen Soddy play this year and have seen enough of Riverdale to know that they are a good team which should do well next week.) A best 2 of 3 series or double elimination tournament is much more indicative. If not, why isn't the State single elimination? There is a reason why WCWS and regionals, travel tournaments, qualifiers, Nationals, etc. are double elimination tournaments and the super regionals are 2 of 3 as is the WCWS Finals.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like you, many have proposed playoff brackets that make sense but you are wasting your time. It is the TSSAA and they have never changed a rule I'm aware of because of public outcry. Basically, they are PC driven (political correctness) as noted by the sissifying of girls softball. You and I will be old and gray before "CHANGE" comes to Tennessee softball. Wait, I'm already there. That means they are responsible for sure. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Okay... my daughter's team is still in it, so the others can't say I only hold the opinion because we got beat in one.

Double elimination State

Double, Single, Nothing, Single, Double. It's always seemed goofy to me - especially in a sport like softball. A single game in softball often doesn't always result in the best team winning that particular game. When a team wins a one game playoff, they won it and deserve the win, but that isn't necessarily the same as being the "best" team in a lot of cases. That's part of what is most enjoyable about softball. (Even though this is the Soddy/Riverdale thread, that comment has nothing to do with either team - I haven't seen Soddy play this year and have seen enough of Riverdale to know that they are a good team which should do well next week.) A best 2 of 3 series or double elimination tournament is much more indicative. If not, why isn't the State single elimination? There is a reason why WCWS and regionals, travel tournaments, qualifiers, Nationals, etc. are double elimination tournaments and the super regionals are 2 of 3 as is the WCWS Finals.

Double elimination State

Well said. That is my point exactly. Not about any individual game but upsets prompt the discussion. Upsets happened in regionals as well as sectionals that may have not happened and probably would not happen in best of 3. Aside from SE TN, Keep in mind also from Mid TN. Beech was also very close to an upset with Rossview and probably should have lost, but it would be hard to believe they would lose 2 of 3 to Rossview. The only sport without multiple games is football and because the inability to play multiple games that makes sense. There are many teams missing in State that in best of 3 format would be there. But I guess it is what it is and TSSAA may eventually get the format right. Any team that thinks they are good enough to advance to state would not mind that format.

You guys need to look deeper. Like I've said before, TSSAA isn't interested in any kind of a change to the format. If they were, it would be something that would make them more money only. Nothing else. But seriously, they do look after the small schools. Smaller schools are fortunate to have one pitcher. Scheduling more games, in the same amount of time barring rain, injury or unforseen events with a small school that has just one pitcher could and would be devastating. A day of rest is what everyone believes to be required. Adding more games could possibly knock the balance of fairness to the larger schools that can develop more pitchers.

You guys need to look deeper. Like I've said before, TSSAA isn't interested in any kind of a change to the format. If they were, it would be something that would make them more money only. Nothing else. But seriously, they do look after the small schools. Smaller schools are fortunate to have one pitcher. Scheduling more games, in the same amount of time barring rain, injury or unforseen events with a small school that has just one pitcher could and would be devastating. A day of rest is what everyone believes to be required. Adding more games could possibly knock the balance of fairness to the larger schools that can develop more pitchers.

You are somewhat right but good teams usually have 2 pitchers no matter the size and remember it is a team that advances not one pitcher. Besides, pitchers can pitch more than one game a day if necessary. Unlike baseball. How many teams that advanced to state have more than 1 pitcher?????? Still anything can happen in one game and best of 3 or double elimination regionals typically advance the best team.

Just out of curiosity think back, what is the most games your oldest and youngest daughter pitched in one day? Include travel ball then we can break down the innings. Because now the tssaa plays one a day for the most part, some in the state tournament have to play two.

My oldest pitched 5 games for sure in a tournament that went into the wee hours of the morning but it may have been six. My youngest was near or equal to the same. This was several years ago and at my age, it all runs together. Many times I've seen teams with one real pitcher and the second one would be merely a thrower. I believe it was Knox Karns that we played in the state and they had one pitcher only and rode her to the bitter end. Also, back then another very popular midstate team had one that was very good and her name was Mandy Miles. They rode her back all season long. That kid was totally burned out by the end of her career. It was quite the norm back then and still continues I'm sure. You know as well as I do that there are times that school teams rise up from nowhere when they get a good pitcher and I'm sure the TSSAA rules accordingly.