State recap

intheshadow

Coffee County has one of the best Coach's in the state, and they won't be down next year, only as good or better. Freshman class was loaded this year, and with Casey and Cheyenne coming back...look out! This program re-loads every year, and hasn't had a down year in recent memory. Maybe we'll get some respect in the Chattanooga area. Only one player from 8-AAA was chosen for the All Midstate Tennessean Team. None from CC. Maybe we are in East TN.

I'm not sure you know what a good coach is. Just exactly what has Floyd done to make him a "good" coach. What kind of off season program does he have? You have named some good players that will be returning, but what has Floyd done to make them good? The true coaches are the parents that have spent countless hours sitting on buckets, hitting ground and fly balls to them and taking bp with them. Most of those good players have been in private lessons for years. I don't think floyd should take the credit nor should you give him the credit for the time and money parent's have spent on their kids. You say floyd is one of the best coaches in the state, if my memory serves me correct he left the softball coaching world for a few years and when the previous coach went to the boro floyd inherited all of the players Breeden had groomed. Since then, Floyd has been fortunate to inherit a few other travel coaches players. I think you are using the phrase "one of the best coaches in the state" very loosely. If floyd is such a great coach, then why does he have players who don't have anywhere to play this summer. Unliike the previous coaching staff, they make sure their players are playing within their organization. Floyd wants everyone else to do his coaching for him, except during his season. Then he will be happy to take all the credit for everyone elses work.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

since you know everything about high school softball answer this for me....

Does coach Kirk from Soddy, coach Woods from Beech, coach Phillips from Goodpasture or coach Smith from Lincoln County coach Summer ball....

I will make the answer easy for you.... NO THEY DO NOT.

Why are you bashing coach Floyd? Did your daughter not make the team?

Terry has won almost 70 percent of his games in six seasons including two district tournament championships, four regular season district championships, region championship and two sub-state appearances.

If we are going to post things lets state facts.

I know somebody will put a spin on this and find a way to attack me, coach Floyd or the softball program but facts are facts.

since you know everything about high school softball answer this for me....

Does coach Kirk from Soddy, coach Woods from Beech, coach Phillips from Goodpasture or coach Smith from Lincoln County coach Summer ball....

I will make the answer easy for you.... NO THEY DO NOT.

Why are you bashing coach Floyd? Did your daughter not make the team?

Terry has won almost 70 percent of his games in six seasons including two district tournament championships, four regular season district championships, region championship and two sub-state appearances.

If we are going to post things lets state facts.

I know somebody will put a spin on this and find a way to attack me, coach Floyd or the softball program but facts are facts.

Like I said in my post, floyd INHERITED those players. He did not prepare them, they were ready before ever stepping onto the field. Tell me this, why would you not want to coach your players in summer league? Why would you not want those younger girls learning your style and your techniques. I will tell you why, because he is lazy. How many of his upper classmen are playing on a summer league team? He has one senior-who does she play for? Last account I heard she has been at the slow pitch field. Boy that is going to really make her better and why would a "good" coach want his only senior doing that? There are 4 juniors- only 3 are playing. Some of the sophmores and most of the freshman are playing for the great assistant with the exception of the rising catcher, your relative, she plays with the two juniors. One sophmore plays in Nashville (Cruisers) another in Chattanooga (Fury) and a couple are not playing for anyone? And tell me this, why did you only print in your paper last week about the 3 girls playing with Frost Falcons. There were other Lady Raiders at that same tournament, but you gave them no coverage. Are you biased? It appears that way.

It's funny you mentioned him coaching with Breeden. Jeff didn't take him to Riverdale with him did he. Wonder why? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" But we know you are no Breeden fan. You hated him as a football coach, maybe he was too tough for you. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

By the way, did you know there is a new boys basketball coach in town? I don't think I have seen anything in your paper about him. It's too bad you don't support the other coaches at the high school like you do floyd. Why is that?

Like I said in my post, floyd INHERITED those players. He did not prepare them, they were ready before ever stepping onto the field. Tell me this, why would you not want to coach your players in summer league? Why would you not want those younger girls learning your style and your techniques. I will tell you why, because he is lazy. How many of his upper classmen are playing on a summer league team? He has one senior-who does she play for? Last account I heard she has been at the slow pitch field. Boy that is going to really make her better and why would a "good" coach want his only senior doing that? There are 4 juniors- only 3 are playing. Some of the sophmores and most of the freshman are playing for the great assistant with the exception of the rising catcher, your relative, she plays with the two juniors. One sophmore plays in Nashville (Cruisers) another in Chattanooga (Fury) and a couple are not playing for anyone? And tell me this, why did you only print in your paper last week about the 3 girls playing with Frost Falcons. There were other Lady Raiders at that same tournament, but you gave them no coverage. Are you biased? It appears that way.

It's funny you mentioned him coaching with Breeden. Jeff didn't take him to Riverdale with him did he. Wonder why? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" But we know you are no Breeden fan. You hated him as a football coach, maybe he was too tough for you. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

By the way, did you know there is a new boys basketball coach in town? I don't think I have seen anything in your paper about him. It's too bad you don't support the other coaches at the high school like you do floyd. Why is that?

Looks like I hit a nerve!

Like I said in an earlier post, lets deal in facts.

Fact: I did not like coach Breeden for several years, mostly because I was young and bull headed; it had nothing to do with him being hard, it was mainly because of his coaching staff. I have had conversations with Jeff over the last few years and now I respect him as a coach and a person.

Fact: I have done two stories on coach givens so obviously you do not read the newspaper on a consistent basis.

Fact: In last week's paper when I ran the pictures of the three girls the cutline said look next week for info on all the Lady Raiders playing travel ball - guess what I am working on the paper right now.

Fact: The tournament at which those pictures were taken there were NO other Lady Raiders present, those pictures were taken in Crossville NOT Chattanooga.

Fact: I support every coach at CCHS, I think they are all fine coaches, I have not had a chance to really get to know coach Givens yet but from talking to him on the phone I think he is going to be a good one. It will be hard to replace Andrew because coach Taylor gave everything he had to that team.

Fact; coach Floyd has asked the girls not to play slowpitch but at the end of the day that is up to the parent and the child.

Fact: you left out a Junior who is playing travel ball for a Nashville team that just won the Music City Hits Tournament IN THE 18U GOLD DIVISION.

As to Breeden taking Dennis with him, there is a lot of history there that does not need to be re-hashed on this message board, I think they are both fine coaches and I have a lot of respect for both of them.

Anything else?

One more thing: GO FROST FALCONS, CRUISERS, NIGHTHAWKS, LADY RAIDERS AND FURY!

INHERITED? I think you INHERITED being jealous.

Lazy? I have seen Terry work 2 jobs, work the softball field and coach.

Senior playing slow-pitch? What do you want him to do hold a gun on her and tell her not to play.

He does not coach in the summer, some coaches do some don't.

You guys are so jealous of Terry because he wins and is not a teacher. You tried to get him fired, that did not work. So get over yourself or move.

Terry got the job at CC and Jeff the one at Riverdale so how could Jeff take him to the Boro. Weave does a great job, are you saying Weave should not be there? I think Riverdale is glad he is there. True fans love Terry and glad he is here. We miss Big Daddy and Weave and proud of their success.

Coverage in the paper? I remember when there was NO coverage of summer sports except Little League so I'm glad the papers cover what they do.

I'm sorry but I don't think your criticisms "hold water"....you will have to show me how many other kids from 8AAA teams are playing for their coaches this summer. I don't think many of them are. I don't think many of them are even playing in the summer league we just finished up. Most teams didn't play. As far as the kids not playing??¦I asked two of them personally if they needed help finding a team to play on. They said they were fine. You can??™t make them play??¦hey??¦maybe they don??™t need to. Maybe they are such superior athletes they don??™t have to do all this stuff my family does every week. More power to them. Travel softball is not for everyone??¦.even on those travel teams some of the kids are just there to socialize??¦but it??™s right across the street for them, not 120 miles round trip. I personally don??™t blame either party??¦but I think it would be a mistake for a school ball coach to ???order??? his kids to do that.

I think a lot of the criticism of CC seems to get started due to people wanting to compare this program with Soddy or Beech or Riverdale. I have to be honest...I have done that as well. It was a mistake on my part. I will give you an example. A lot of people made the comment that pitching was down this year overall on most teams around the state. Obviously not ALL teams but I think you have to go back to $4 a gallon gas. I personally know several kids and families that had to make a tough choice when gas got that high to NOT go to lessons. A lot of them could afford the lessons, but not afford the gas.....kids in Nashville and Soddy as an example had their coach 5 minutes away. So they went.

OK...I hear the hammers cocking back, fingers on the triggers of the double barrel shot gun...I am not saying this is "the one reason" I am just saying that there were statistically less kids taking pitching lessons this last year than in previous years...I don't think people will argue with that and I don't think people will argue that the further away from a metropolitan area you get....the lower that number goes....so the likelihood of a team like an 8AAA team seeing great pitching night after night after night is lower. No doubt that makes it harder to compete come tournament time.....hold your fire one more minute and then you can blast away at me Granny Clampett.....

My point thus far is that if you want to compare and criticize, lets compare and criticize with similar programs. From what I can see Dickson County has been one of the only ???non metro??? teams to win a AAA state title. I know Soddy is not ???metro??? but they play mostly Chattanooga teams and better competition.

ERA had some very good points about what it takes to have a successful program and I think he was right. Parents have to be involved and committed in softball and baseball more than any other sport. It takes a lot of external off season work that other sports don??™t do. All a coach can do is give guidance and urge kids and parents to do the right thing and play as much as possible off season.

As for Derek and his news coverage. He discussed what he was going to do with some of us. Several of the older girls mothers suggested that if he wanted to do a write up about kids playing travel ball, he needed to cover all of them. I think that is what is coming tomorrow. I hope so??¦they all need to be commended for playing more than they have to.

Anyone can throw rocks and criticize. I am sure Terry would agree that he did not invent softball and somewhere there might be a coach that does a better job than he does, maybe Candrea or Murphy, Kirk, etc??¦??¦I??™m not going to get into grading the man??¦.but you can??™t win the number of games the man has won not knowing what you are doing. You can??™t be as successful as the man has been without doing a pretty good job. Until that changes or until every other program at CC is more successful, you don??™t have a valid complaint.

Let??™s remember that not everyone in Alabama thought Bear Bryant was a genius.

JV I understand you feeling you need to stroke Terry somewhat since the dream team has arrived, but come on, are you seriously willing to give him the credit for all the hours, sweat, and tears you and Casey have put in to her pitching. You can't really believe that he has made her the pitcher she is today. You said yourself in a former post, the reason your playing with frost falcons was so you could continue to call her pitches. That sounds like a coach to me, not willing to give up total control just yet. And with the amount of time and money you have put into your child, you shouldn't. It has been a long time since my involvement with softball, but the dynamics of the game haven't changed. It's all about pitching and Terry has been very fortunate in that area thanks to a few Dad's. Good luck to your daughter, she has worked very hard. However, I cannot say the same for her high school coach. He has been very lucky with his last several years prospects. He will most likely do well the next two years, but after that, the well may be going dry. Not alot of involvement with the feeder program from where I am sitting. It doesn't look good when only one or two players from your middle school are picked up. This doesn't do much for morale or encouragement for the kids.

5A-No nerves struck here. I just call it like I see it.

I guess I must have missed your article on the new bb coach. Must have not gone to sonic for my free copy, as I do not purchase your weekly issue.

As far as your post about other coaches in the state, I will say, Coach Kirk at Soddy is light years ahead of Terry. He doesn't have to coach summer ball, he gets his players at the middle school level. He has those girls for six or seven years. Your buddy could take some lessons from him, but he would have to put more time in and you and I both know he is not willing to do that.

I hope tomorrow's edition does have some info about the other girls playing. You should not be biased and only print about a select few. There are alot of good athletes in the community. Maybe they all are not doing what you like, but they all work hard and deserve ample amount of print. You seem to be fixated on softball and football. I respect those are your favorite sports, but if you are going to be a sports editor then you should cover "all" sports.