Rules about Artificial Noisemakers

daddyball

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I strongly disagree with you!!! it is not the umpires job to address the fans...the game is played within the fence everything outside of the fence is not the game there are tournament directors that can monitor that if it needs monitoring NOW IF I hear a fan cursing then i will seek out a tournament director and let them address that situation but as an umpire my job is inside that fence.

You make my point. The ump controls the game. If he get tourney director, he controls the game(fan).The director is the Hammer that falls.

an umpire does not need to address the fans anything outside of the fence is just that outside the fence an umpire need to worry about whats inside the fence. Is it allowed yeah but in my opinion it is never a good thing when an umpire addresses the fans

So, If it's a night game and I have my head lights on bright in Center field, the umpire has no jurisdiction? HUM?

So, If it's a night game and I have my head lights on bright in Center field, the umpire has no jurisdiction? HUM?

Good point.

Sound and noise has the ability to pass right thru those chain link fences! I understand the reluctance for the officials to take on issues in the stands, (there is more than enough going on inside the fence). However, sometimes it is unavoidable.

Where does one draw the line between enthusiasm and attempting to manipulate or affect the players on the field? IMO any attempt to throw off a players/pitcher's timing or influence decision making (yelling "I GOT IT" on popups, etc) are out of line and should be dealt with. If for no other reason than for the safety of the players.

Ideally there would be tournament directors or school adminstation people on hand to address some of these, but can the issue wait until they can be found?

We are in a different divison and playing at the same time as Riverdale and we thought it was great. We were glad to see some school spirit and it did not distract our players.

In the past I have heard players says the extra support helped them get pumped up for the game when they were behind or in a close game.

Both teams are playing when the noise is made (one in the field and one batting). If it distracts one, it will distract the other. Both are playing at the same time.