Spring Fling Blowouts...

davidlimbaugh

Some scores in this year's Spring Fling:

17-1, 20-1, 18-4, 21-2, 11-1, 10-0, 17-5, 13-1

I have sent various members of the TBCA (Tennessee Baseball Coaches Association) the 'modified Limbaugh plan'

The modified plan you ask? I tried to address all the issues that my friends at TSSAA raised with me during last year's Spring Fling with the original 'Limbaugh plan'. Those issues were a) travel and /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> fields without lights

I address that by staying true to some extent with the current method of travel and the only time a site would have two games at it would be on Saturday or Sunday in case of rain so lights are not a factor.

Let??™s look at next year??™s 5AAA, 6AAA, 7AAA and 8AAA for example... (I am choosing winners and runners up for example purposes only, and of course because I am Riverdale's SID - LOL!!!!)

5AAA let??™s say Cleveland wins tournament and Ooltewah finishes second

6AAA Cookeville wins tournament and Coffee Co finishes second

7AAA Shelbyville wins tournament and Columbia finishes second

8AAA Riverdale wins tournament and Siegel finishes second

Region Tournament (2010 is an even year)

Friday, May 14 (same travel as current plan)

6-2 at 5-1 Coffee Co at Cleveland

5-2 at 6-1 Ooltewah at Cookeville

8-2 at 7-1 Siegel at Shelbyville

7-2 at 8-1 Columbia at Riverdale

Saturday, May 15

Losers vs Losers at Cookeville

Winners vs Winners at Cookeville ??“ winner is Region Champion and moves on

Losers vs Losers at Riverdale

Winners vs Winners at Riverdale ??“ winner is Region Champion and moves on

Monday, May 17

Winner of Losers plays Loser of Winners at Cookeville ??“ winner is Region runner-up and moves on

Winner of Losers plays Loser of Winners at Riverdale ??“ winner is Region runner-up and moves on

Wednesday, May 19 (same travel as current plan)

Substate

Region 4 runner up at Region 3 champion

Region 3 runner up at Region 4 champion

Thursday, May 20

Losers vs Losers at Region 4 champion (even year)

Friday, May 21

Winners vs Winners at Region 4 champion ??“ winner advances to Spring Fling

Saturday, May 22

Winner of Losers plays Loser of Winners at Region 4 champion ??“ winner advances to Spring Fling

Spring Fling starts on Tuesday and ends on Saturday (I have almost convinced TSSAA of this ??“ with their new bidding process hosts need a larger crowd for Championship Day ??“ i.e. Saturday so most folks are off of work!)

Think we can we get this plan ratified by TBCA at their August meeting and presented to TSSAA???

What do ya think?

Some scores in this year's Spring Fling:

Give it a shot!!!

17-1, 20-1, 18-4, 21-2, 11-1, 10-0, 17-5, 13-1

I have sent various members of the TBCA (Tennessee Baseball Coaches Association) the 'modified Limbaugh plan'

The modified plan you ask? I tried to address all the issues that my friends at TSSAA raised with me during last year's Spring Fling with the original 'Limbaugh plan'. Those issues were a) travel and /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> fields without lights

I address that by staying true to some extent with the current method of travel and the only time a site would have two games at it would be on Saturday or Sunday in case of rain so lights are not a factor.

Let??™s look at next year??™s 5AAA, 6AAA, 7AAA and 8AAA for example... (I am choosing winners and runners up for example purposes only, and of course because I am Riverdale's SID - LOL!!!!)

5AAA let??™s say Cleveland wins tournament and Ooltewah finishes second

6AAA Cookeville wins tournament and Coffee Co finishes second

7AAA Shelbyville wins tournament and Columbia finishes second

8AAA Riverdale wins tournament and Siegel finishes second

Region Tournament (2010 is an even year)

Friday, May 14 (same travel as current plan)

6-2 at 5-1 Coffee Co at Cleveland

5-2 at 6-1 Ooltewah at Cookeville

8-2 at 7-1 Siegel at Shelbyville

7-2 at 8-1 Columbia at Riverdale

Saturday, May 15

Losers vs Losers at Cookeville

Winners vs Winners at Cookeville ??“ winner is Region Champion and moves on

Losers vs Losers at Riverdale

Winners vs Winners at Riverdale ??“ winner is Region Champion and moves on

Monday, May 17

Winner of Losers plays Loser of Winners at Cookeville ??“ winner is Region runner-up and moves on

Winner of Losers plays Loser of Winners at Riverdale ??“ winner is Region runner-up and moves on

Wednesday, May 19 (same travel as current plan)

Substate

Region 4 runner up at Region 3 champion

Region 3 runner up at Region 4 champion

Thursday, May 20

Losers vs Losers at Region 4 champion (even year)

Friday, May 21

Winners vs Winners at Region 4 champion ??“ winner advances to Spring Fling

Saturday, May 22

Winner of Losers plays Loser of Winners at Region 4 champion ??“ winner advances to Spring Fling

Spring Fling starts on Tuesday and ends on Saturday (I have almost convinced TSSAA of this ??“ with their new bidding process hosts need a larger crowd for Championship Day ??“ i.e. Saturday so most folks are off of work!)

Think we can we get this plan ratified by TBCA at their August meeting and presented to TSSAA???

What do ya think?

So, summarizing, it's double-elimination regional and sub-state rounds without the final round (winner's bracket team automatically finishes first). In fact, the first round of each is optional--the format still works if the district/region winners go directly to the winners' game and the runners-up to the losers' game.

So, summarizing, it's double-elimination regional and sub-state rounds without the final round (winner's bracket team automatically finishes first). In fact, the first round of each is optional--the format still works if the district/region winners go directly to the winners' game and the runners-up to the losers' game.

Trying to solve three problems with current system 1) A dominant #1 can get you to Spring Fling 2) One loss and you are done if that loss is on Monday or Friday 3) The Wednesday game doesn't mean anything except who sells cokes and who buys gas....

Really it's just the regions and sectionals that are all screwed up. Most districts choose a decent format and the state is double elimination. It's the single elimination games and that one seeding game that everybody hates. It's not even based in logic or none that I can see. The blowouts are a result of teams with a good #1 and the rest of the pitching staff is average or below. You're going to have to have 2 or 3 good pitchers minimum to get through state. Why not regions and sectionals too?

Really it's just the regions and sectionals that are all screwed up. Most districts choose a decent format and the state is double elimination. It's the single elimination games and that one seeding game that everybody hates. It's not even based in logic or none that I can see. The blowouts are a result of teams with a good #1 and the rest of the pitching staff is average or below. You're going to have to have 2 or 3 good pitchers minimum to get through state. Why not regions and sectionals too?

Dropping off copies of the plan at TSSAA headquarters today /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />