Siegel Schedule?

hoopsguru12

Stars' hoops schedule has them all over the map

Trip to Hawaii highlight's Siegel's busy slate

BY TOM KREAGER ??? TKREAGER@DNJ.COM ??? May 31, 2009

Get a road atlas and check your frequent flyer miles if you want to follow Siegel's boys basketball team next season.

Oh, and start saving your money.

Siegel second-year coach Ben Dotson has scheduled his team to play games in Jackson, Memphis, Bristol and Hawaii yes Hawaii for the 2009-10 school year. Those trips include games with two-time Class AA state champion Liberty and games at Memphis Ridgeway to play host Ridgeway and White Station, the past two Class AAA state champions.

The Stars will also become the first Murfreesboro team to play in the prestigious Arby's Classic in Bristol, Tenn. That trip comes a week after Siegel returns from the Punahou Christmas Tournament in Honolulu. Finally, on Jan. 29, the Stars play national power Oak Hill Academy in Bristol, Va.

Oak Hill is a prep school in Virginia and is traditionally one of the top basketball programs in the country.

"When I'm scheduling, it sounds great," Dotson said. "But when you look at it on paper, I'm overwhelmed a lot. It's kind of, 'What have I done?'

"I may have over scheduled, but we may never schedule some of these games again. We never played these teams when we had the Keith Ramseys and Jimmy Odens.

"But they helped lay a foundation for this year's team. This schedule is the toughest in the state. I would put up our schedule against anyone else's schedule."

Siegel finished 26-6 this past season. Shelbyville, which will play host to the Stars on Jan. 5, ended Siegel's season in the Region 4-AAA semifinals this year.

The team's longest trip to Hawaii may draw the biggest questions given the current economy. The tournament is a Nike tournament and one of three held in the area.

Dotson said the tournament, which runs Dec. 17-21, will cost about $22,000 for the entire team. He said each player is responsible for their share.

The county school system will not pay for any of it.

"We'll be doing a lot of fundraising ??” car washes, smart cards," Dotson said. "We'll sell everything you can think of. We've got some donations. The rest will be fundraising."

(2 of 2)

Dotson said the trip will not include just beach and basketball. The team will tour Pearl Harbor. He said the team will take their final exams a week early to be able to attend the tournament.

Senior Kerry Hammonds said he's looking forward to the Hawaii tournament.

"I'm excited about being able to go to Hawaii ??” period," Hammonds said. "It's just not about basketball. But I'm sure there will be good competition there."

Hammonds acknowledged that Dotson has put together a tough schedule. But it's something that will only help the Stars.

"I don't think he could have scheduled a tougher one. I mean, Oak Hill? I've never talked to anyone around here that's played Oak Hill."

Road trip

The Siegel boys basketball team will travel far and wide next season. The Stars will make five round-trip road trips over 300 miles during the 2009-10 season to play some of the state and country's best teams.

Date Location Estimated Mileage (round trip)

Nov. 21 at Liberty Tech (Hall of Fame game) 326

Nov. 27-28 at Ridgeway Hoop Fest 489

Dec. 14-21 Punahou (Honolulu, HI) 8,740

Dec. 26-29 Arby's Classic at Bristol, TN 590

Jan. 29 Oak Hill at Bristol, Va. 590

Been watching some of the Belmont team camp, and saw Siegal get blasted by 25 points to Beech. The big man Taylor controlled the paint and Beech's PG dictated the tempo all day. Most people in the gym were surprised, but Beech controlled the game from start to finish.

beech is tough.. i went to watch the state tournament and the point guard named Reese i think was a special player. and this year he is going to be a senior i think?

I was at that game as well, it was more like 15 points...Siegel for some dumb reason was fouling like every possesion. But on the day Siegel went 2-1. They beat Christian Brothers like by 38 and played a hard and very physical game against HIllsboro and beat them 25 then had to play Beech, not taking anything from Beech b/c they are not bad but when you play a physical game then have to turn around and play Beech, well that would be tough on anyone!!!

I was at that game as well, it was more like 15 points...Siegel for some dumb reason was fouling like every possesion. But on the day Siegel went 2-1. They beat Christian Brothers like by 38 and played a hard and very physical game against HIllsboro and beat them 25 then had to play Beech, not taking anything from Beech b/c they are not bad but when you play a physical game then have to turn around and play Beech, well that would be tough on anyone!!!

Pretty postive it was more like a 25 pt win for Beech, and every team had already played 2 games by that point, Beech had already destroyed Hillsboro as well. The PG for beech is Reece Chamberlin, the post player they call "Jon Jon" had to have about 40 pts, not joking....all seigal did was shoot threes while chamberlin got to the rack and knocked down jumpers, Jon Jon seemed to clean up everything and he owned the paint.

even tho this is just a summer camp game i am not surprised by the result. siegel is very talented but beech is the class of the midstate, with siegel and hunters lane slightly behind. the experience chamberland and co have from going to the boro last year is invaluable, along with the odd 1-3-1 defense that few can figure out. they will be very tough to beat

even tho this is just a summer camp game i am not surprised by the result. siegel is very talented but beech is the class of the midstate, with siegel and hunters lane slightly behind. the experience chamberland and co have from going to the boro last year is invaluable, along with the odd 1-3-1 defense that few can figure out. they will be very tough to beat

I heard that the coaches were upset with the refs calls or that there lack of, so they just made the game longer!! And were fouling on purpose!! But it is camp and Siegel was missing a couple of starters too.!!!!

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />