4a state champs?

gcbobcat

The games that feature Maplewood vs David Lipscomb, Maplewood vs Whites Creek, & Whites Creek vs David Lipscomb this season will be very interesting contests. Both Maplewood & Whites Creek will seem like a "Knoxville Fulton or Memphis Mitchell" to David Lipscomb because to their size and overall team speed and athleticism. It will be much different for the Mustangs than playing Montgomery Central, Cheatham Co., & Creek Wood types of athletes that is for sure. The fundamentally sound football that David Lipscomb plays is going to be a challenge for those schools as well. Stratford has found this to be true each of the last 2 years now.

I would venture that all 3 of those teams (along with CPA & another 3A school) have a great shot of making the playoffs once this season concludes on October 30th.

As for Giles Co. we'll see just how good they are when they play Cookeville in week zero. They will be a 4A contender no question about it with the players that they have returning this season but the game against the Cavs will be a measuring stick test in the earliest possible stage of the regular season.

With Marshall Co. & Page rebuilding their backfields, Lewis Co. reloading in a whole new district, and Hickman Co. & East Hickman both taking away from each other now that the full effect of EHHS has kicked in I would not expect Giles Co. to lose a single district game all season long. Spring Hill will be much improved but I don't believe that they are ready to play at Giles Co.'s level and even with good returning experience I don't expect Fairview to beat Giles either.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i figured dl would have somewhat of a dwn year who do they have? besides officer

Lipscomb always has a nice team as we've seen in the past years. This year they are once again loaded. Their O Line is HUGE along with their linebackers. QB has a strong arm and they have a few nice recievers as i saw at their spring practice. and once again they have talent in the backfield..its early to say but i see Lipscomb making a run in the playoffs..

David Lipscomb will always be good as long as Coach Mac is there running the show. They are so basic and methodical at everything that they do but in the end they still get the results (and usually more times than not it's by a wide margain). If anyone believes that DL is not going to be a contender this next season then you will be sadly mistaken down the road.

I said before that David Lipscomb is going to have to adjust to playing against the athleticism of Metro/Nashville schools week after week. Also on the other hand Metro/Nashville schools are going to have to adjust to playing against a sound fundamental football team like David Lipscomb. Against DL you can't commit foolish mistakes such as jumping off-sides, grabbing the facemask, holding, taunting, and commiting personal fouls. That will cost you games in the blink of an eye.

Mark my words here also...................

Metro/Nashville schools are now going to have to find kickers and take special teams seriously. David Lipscomb beats many teams in the special teams aspect of the game (no that's not just a Rogers thing). Ask Cheatham Co. in 2005 or Giles Co. in 2008 can DL's superior play in the special teams aspect of a game lead to them being successful. Converting kicks and field position can make or break many teams in football games.

It will be the same ole' song for Giles County. Especially this year. After Cookville, they do not play anyone. They will pretty much run the table then get slammed when they meet David Libscomb. That is the tradition since the early to mid 90's. It's not their fault, it is just the way it is aligned.

I'm sure the coaching staff is not letting the players think "they do not play anyone". That's a good way to get handed a loss or two or three.

I don't know about the early to mid 90's, but Lipscomb was their downfall in 06 and 08; and I wouldn't call 08 "slammed". Giles had every chance to win that one.

Really Giles has only come on since 2006.

'05: 4-6; '04: 1-9; '03: 2-8; '02: 2-8; '01: 5-5; '00: 3-8.

Giles overall since 2000: 46-52

By contrast Lipscomb since 2000: 111-16 and 2 State Championships.

You are right. Giles has only gotten good recently.

Giles County is 29-8 (2 trips to the semis) in three years under Coach O'Conner.

I'm sure the coaching staff is not letting the players think "they do not play anyone". That's a good way to get handed a loss or two or three.

I don't know about the early to mid 90's, but Lipscomb was their downfall in 06 and 08; and I wouldn't call 08 "slammed". Giles had every chance to win that one.

Really Giles has only come on since 2006.

'05: 4-6; '04: 1-9; '03: 2-8; '02: 2-8; '01: 5-5; '00: 3-8.

Giles overall since 2000: 46-52

By contrast Lipscomb since 2000: 111-16 and 2 State Championships.

and 5 of the 8 losses to David Lipscomb...

You are right. Giles has only gotten good recently.

Giles County is 29-8 (2 trips to the semis) in three years under Coach O'Conner.

The midstate's top choices will have to be Giles Co., Maplewood, David Lipscomb, & White House. Each of these teams are well coached and have TALENT which we all know does make a huge difference at some point in the playoffs when you need that one "big play" to pull out a game.

I HAVE TO AGREE WITH THE STATEMENT ABOVE.W.H WILL BRING IT AGAIN THIS YEAR,THELL HAVE SOME YOUNG SOPH LINEMAN BUT THERE FROSH. TEAM LAST YEAR WAS UNDEFEATED.I ALSO AGREE THAT LIPSCOMB WILL BE IN THE HUNT,ALSO GOODPASTURE.

• 2 weeks later...

who's in the hunt for the 4a state championship?

The Greeneville Devils from North East Tn. They made to the state simi-finals last year in the 4a playoffs, losing to Maryville. Moving down this year to class AA (4a in playoffs) where they really belong, should be very good for the Devils. The devils are goin to be very skilled on defense, losing only 3 players. The offense only returns 3 players, but is going to be very good........

Can Lipscomb be that good with only 5 returning starters? Where do they get these players? Their guards only weighed about 185 last year.What are they doing in the mighty 4a?

Yeah they can be that good. They usually are; year in, year out.

They have a big advantage (imo) over most high school teams in that alot of their players have been in the same system since they were like 10-12 years old.

Lipscomb players have been taught the same techniques, plays, system, etc since they were young.

Youth Program to Middle School to High School.

Most High schools don't have that luxury.