Powell Panthers

Rico

Actually I have been a member of CoachT for about 4 years and just changed screen names...but I gues you have to be on CoachT to have a clue...and Baron and Lee transferred(they took a beating) and HTV like I said is a great Screen name...and by the way I think I would have and idea about our schedule and if anybody else wants to butt in feel free to do so...I would like to hear how much you know about the Powell Panthers since you did not graduate from there and my best friend did and he agrees the may be the most Classless people in this area...I would know about some of this stuff about football and what goes on around here since I played around here and currently coach around here...so HTV there is no name calling!!! We may not win another game but Classless Powell has one coming!!! So we will see what you say in the fall.

The best part about all of this is that Powell thinks they are good when they go 3-7 or 7-3 and feel like everybody thinks they are good and without Kier Houston they will not be that good.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I have been a member of CoachT for about 4 years and just changed screen names...but I gues you have to be on CoachT to have a clue...and Baron and Lee transferred(they took a beating) and HTV like I said is a great Screen name...and by the way I think I would have and idea about our schedule and if anybody else wants to butt in feel free to do so...I would like to hear how much you know about the Powell Panthers since you did not graduate from there and my best friend did and he agrees the may be the most Classless people in this area...I would know about some of this stuff about football and what goes on around here since I played around here and currently coach around here...so HTV there is no name calling!!! We may not win another game but Classless Powell has one coming!!! So we will see what you say in the fall.

I can't speak for HTV, but I graduated as Salutatorian from Powell in 2001. Powell has only missed the playoffs 3 times since 1990, and those three times were during my time as a student while Clark Duncan was coaching there. Central was at the end of a "rebuilding" period then, having missed the playoffs 3 straight years, until my sophomore year of high school when they made the playoffs in 1998 (the first time since 1994).

For the record, I no longer live in Powell, and I haven't lived there since I graduated, so I can't comment on the general attitude of the team or the town today (since I don't play for them and I don't have any kids that play there). However, I find it very hard to believe that they could be any more classless than Central, based on a single incident (if you want to call it that). Even though it's been roughly 10 years since I've been there, this just seems a lot like the pot calling the kettle black. Central wasn't exactly the class of the district then, and I doubt that it's any different now. I guess what I don't understand is why you want to bellyache about something that is so commonplace in football? I don't agree with trash talk, but it's hard to complain about it when the guilty party backs up the talk. Just ask Lane Kiffin what that feels like after September 19th. Sometimes it's best to do what Teddy Roosevelt said - "Speak softly and carry a big stick."

I can't speak for HTV, but I graduated as Salutatorian from Powell in 2001. Powell has only missed the playoffs 3 times since 1990, and those three times were during my time as a student while Clark Duncan was coaching there. Central was at the end of a "rebuilding" period then, having missed the playoffs 3 straight years, until my sophomore year of high school when they made the playoffs in 1998 (the first time since 1994).

For the record, I no longer live in Powell, and I haven't lived there since I graduated, so I can't comment on the general attitude of the team or the town today (since I don't play for them and I don't have any kids that play there). However, I find it very hard to believe that they could be any more classless than Central, based on a single incident (if you want to call it that). Even though it's been roughly 10 years since I've been there, this just seems a lot like the pot calling the kettle black. Central wasn't exactly the class of the district then, and I doubt that it's any different now. I guess what I don't understand is why you want to bellyache about something that is so commonplace in football? I don't agree with trash talk, but it's hard to complain about it when the guilty party backs up the talk. Just ask Lane Kiffin what that feels like after September 19th. Sometimes it's best to do what Teddy Roosevelt said - "Speak softly and carry a big stick."

Ok well 10 years you have no idea...and Central averaged 10 wins a season from 98-06 so they started winning and I believe beating Powell and everyone else in Knoxville, and only losing to Maryville and Mccallie and losing to Powell once in 2001...and as far as trash talking we dont allow our players to do it and it is classless, and it can be done on the field in the heat of the moment, but a senior starting QB saying something to freshman is Classless and disgusting...so for you and HTV and the rest of the Powell elite good luck with this argument, but I was there and heard it first hand and did not say anything back and Powell coaches were present and did not say anything either...so we will see what happens this fall in the region and without Kier Houston they better be loaded because he was the revolving door in this offense(meaning everything went through him) so we will see how the coaches handle a spread offense without a spread QB...so I am speaking softly and carrying a big stick...and by the way I was All-State in this area and All-KFL in this area also and not at Powell...since you gave your credentials I thought I would give mine and this is not an academic board it is a sports related board so who cares how smart you were!!! /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

...and as far as trash talking we dont allow our players to do it and it is classless,

Please. This line is one of the funniest I have ever read. You just lost any crediblity that you might have had by that claim.

You obviously are a young kid, so I won't go any further with this other than to say that I am in a position to have seen high school football, including Central, for a long time very much up close and personal. Most of the regular posters on this forum know that to be fact.

Coach Helton and his staff do a great job with the Central program.

Good luck this year, and please don't forget that the primary reason you are in school is to be educated. Make sure you take care of the academics first. Football doesn't last forever, and for most high school kids, it doesn't last past their senior years. Get that education first and foremost. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Ok well 10 years you have no idea...and Central averaged 10 wins a season from 98-06 so they started winning and I believe beating Powell and everyone else in Knoxville, and only losing to Maryville and Mccallie and losing to Powell once in 2001...and as far as trash talking we dont allow our players to do it and it is classless, and it can be done on the field in the heat of the moment, but a senior starting QB saying something to freshman is Classless and disgusting...so for you and HTV and the rest of the Powell elite good luck with this argument, but I was there and heard it first hand and did not say anything back and Powell coaches were present and did not say anything either...so we will see what happens this fall in the region and without Kier Houston they better be loaded because he was the revolving door in this offense(meaning everything went through him) so we will see how the coaches handle a spread offense without a spread QB...so I am speaking softly and carrying a big stick...and by the way I was All-State in this area and All-KFL in this area also and not at Powell...since you gave your credentials I thought I would give mine and this is not an academic board it is a sports related board so who cares how smart you were!!! /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

Man quit cryn! Trash talking is in every sport. Maybe not bowling, I'm sure you can find an opening somewhere to coach in that sport. Just because you don't hear your team doing some talking doesn't mean its not happening.

Central has always been a solid football power, and I respect the work that Coach Helton has done over the years. There is a reason why Central and Maryville met so often in the playoffs during that period, no one will argue that. However, to say that Powell is completely classless and that Central is not ("we dont allow our players to [trash talk]"), I just don't buy it. From what you've said, I'm guessing that you only see Powell from the sideline once a season, so how can you infer that these guys are classless based on one single incident that you witnessed? Matt Lowe is a very animated coach, and a lot of non-Powell fans have criticized his uber-enthusiasm. I look at it this way - if his kids are keeping their noses clean, getting good grades (that's an issue on every team), and his attitude is motivating his players, I see nothing wrong with it.

You are right, this is a sports forum (not an academic board), and I only mentioned my graduation date because you thought that I didn't have a dog in this fight. For the record, I'm a huge sports enthusiast, but if you aren't educated, speaking aloud on a sports forum such as this will make you sound like a fool. I was simply trying to point out that one incident of trash talking shouldn't throw an entire team under the "classless bus." There will always be fans and players on every team who feel the need to talk, and surely Central isn't any different from Powell, Halls, etc, in that regard.

Getting back to Rico's original question, I would like to hear some predictions about how folks feel Powell will do this year. In fact, I would like to hear from the Halls, Central, Cinton, etc., people about what they think of their teams. I think it will be a fun year in the district. I will now return to being classless.

Getting back to Rico's original question, I would like to hear some predictions about how folks feel Powell will do this year. In fact, I would like to hear from the Halls, Central, Cinton, etc., people about what they think of their teams. I think it will be a fun year in the district. I will now return to being classless.

I too am curious to hear some predictions, since I don't really have any insider information. Powell has made the playoffs every year since 2001, and on a few of those occasions, they were not expected to even compete for a playoff spot. However, I've learned never to count this team out, especially with the current coaching staff in place; last year, the 2-platoon system really did it's job, as evident in the game against Clinton last October.

Is there any news on DeShawn Mobley? I know that there was a question about his eligibility earlier in the spring.

I will now return to being classless.

Of course you will. Haven't we been told that anybody and everything associated with Pal are/is CLASSLESS? /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Of course you will. Haven't we been told that anybody and everything associated with Pal are/is CLASSLESS? /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

You all tell me to quit crying and you all are doing all the crying and no I am not a young kid and I am on a coaching staff and know Joel Helton and the Central kids very well and no trash talking is not accepted and if you all "Pal "people would read the entire post...I said it happens in the heat of the moment during the game...and no it is not allowed by us and will not be allowed and I guarantee that Zack Helton would not have said that to any team and neither would our QB this year that will be Carl Mills...it is not tolerated and you know the old saying that at team takes the personality of their head coach...so that speaks for itself...and I have played against Central and do not remember any trash talking from their players...so no it does not go on anywhere and PowellBubba thanks for throwing your sense in as well...I think this is a very good region and think it will be a good year to watch football...and I know where I will be on friday nights...so HTV stick to your credibility on Coacht and I will stick to mine!!! /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

You all tell me to quit crying and you all are doing all the crying and no I am not a young kid and I am on a coaching staff and know Joel Helton and the Central kids very well and no trash talking is not accepted and if you all "Pal "people would read the entire post...I said it happens in the heat of the moment during the game...and no it is not allowed by us and will not be allowed and I guarantee that Zack Helton would not have said that to any team and neither would our QB this year that will be Carl Mills...it is not tolerated and you know the old saying that at team takes the personality of their head coach...so that speaks for itself...and I have played against Central and do not remember any trash talking from their players...so no it does not go on anywhere and PowellBubba thanks for throwing your sense in as well...I think this is a very good region and think it will be a good year to watch football...and I know where I will be on friday nights...so HTV stick to your credibility on Coacht and I will stick to mine!!! /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

OK, if you really know Zach then you would know that it is Zach with an H, not a K.

If you know the players that played with Zach then you can't tell us with a straight face that there wasn't ample trash talking coming from that group. They did at times, and they generally backed it up with their play on the field. A good portion of those kids who played at Central then were kids that lived in the Powell zone, went to Powell Middle, and played baseball and youth football at Powell. We know those kids and we know better than what you are telling us. I coached a couple of them myself when they were coming up.

You seem to have a bit of a holier than thou complex, Cat. Kids at Central are no different than kids at Powell, Halls, West, Clinton, Riverdale, Melrose, Red Bank, D-B, or anywhere else. Today's players talk a lot on the field - everywhere, and not just at Powell. I don't like it because it isn't something that my generation put up with, but it's a part of the real world today.

OK, if you really know Zach then you would know that it is Zach with an H, not a K.

If you know the players that played with Zach then you can't tell us with a straight face that there wasn't ample trash talking coming from that group. They did at times, and they generally backed it up with their play on the field. A good portion of those kids who played at Central then were kids that lived in the Powell zone, went to Powell Middle, and played baseball and youth football at Powell. We know those kids and we know better than what you are telling us. I coached a couple of them myself when they were coming up.

You seem to have a bit of a holier than thou complex, Cat. Kids at Central are no different than kids at Powell, Halls, West, Clinton, Riverdale, Melrose, Red Bank, D-B, or anywhere else. Today's players talk a lot on the field - everywhere, and not just at Powell. I don't like it because it isn't something that my generation put up with, but it's a part of the real world today.

I actually do know Zack or Zach and I ate lunch with his dad today and know that he is in town for the summer from Memphis and had shoulder surgery about 3-4 months ago for a torn labrum tendon...I also know AJ Nance and attend many Kentucky games every year and tailgate with his dad and know Chris Crowder and know that Chris was on the 4x100 relay team in middle schoola and was a Lineman in high school do to him growing so much and I know David "dada" Gaston and his brother Caleb...and coached against Zach and Dada and AJ and Crowder when they were in the 8th grade and they ran the music city miracle against us in the super midgets cahmpionship game and we still beat them...so dont test my knowledge about those kids and...and since you know so much about powell and Central who was the starting MLB for powell in 1998 and who was the starting SS for Central in 1991 and who was the starting fullback for Central in 2003 and by the way I coached him in super midgets also...so my knowledge is greater than you think and I know more than you have any idea that I know...and like I have said 3 times now I know that talking goes on during the heat of the moment..."the game"...but a senior QB would not a should not say anything like that a freshman team...and the players should not act like they acted toward the Central fans...so anything else you wanna know about Zach,AJ,Byrd,Crowder,Dyer,ADkins,Gaston,Smith,etc...so dont test my knowledge...I am ready!