Lewis Co. DOMINATED

LCHSchick

After the officiating at the Harpeth game last week, I thought this week's game was very well officiated. There was a call in the game that was perplexing to a lot of fans although I believe that the ref's got it right.

The call was this and we'll see if there are some on here that know the proper rule.

Riverside was punting, the ball was snapped over the punter's head. The punter ran back to get the ball, Lewis County then came charging in. The punter grabbed the ball and punted, without trying to advance the ball. We ran into the punter and roughing the kicker was called. It was at a pivotal moment in the game as LC had just cut the score to 14-7 and for the first time all night, held Riverside 3 and out. The roughing penalty brought the ball to midfield and Riverside then went down and scored.

I am almost positive that I have read in the rulebook that if the kicker does not attempt to advance his position, then he is still treated solely as a punter and still afforded the protection of such. If I did read this, then the refs made the correct call. Several folks I talked to felt like once the ball sailed over the punter's head, then he was free game?

Anyone know the correct call?

Again, a great game and I really think Riverside has a chance to have a very special season this year. Your thoughts?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic