Paul, Kussainova Win National 12s Singles

bbb

Tommy Paul, 12, and Diana Kussainova, 11, didn't lose a set in five singles matches in claiming the USTA National Open Boys' and Girls' 12s Tennis Championship, respectively, today at the Champions Club.

Kussainova (Windermere, Fla.), who turns 12 on July 17, defeated Vooha Vellanki (Norcross, Ga.), 6-2, 7-5 in the finals.

''I am happy I won, but I approached this national tournament as no more or less important than any other ones I play,'' said the No.2 seeded Kussainova, who lost only 19 games in five matches.

On the boys' side, Paul (Greenville, N.C.), the nation's fourth ranked player, continued his winning ways with his first national championship medal in a 6-2, 6-3 triumph against No.2 seed David Beasley (Greenwood, Ind.).

???I am pleased with the way I played this week,'' said Paul who was the tournament's top seed in boys' singles. ???I made a few mistakes, but overall it was a good tourney.''

Paul, who like his sister, Jessie Lynn - also a national open 12s champion (doubles) - is home schooled so a flexible class schedule can complement a full tennis tournament agenda.

Paul broke Beasley four times in the first set and won four of six break point chances.

Beasley steadied himself in the 34-minute second set and held serve in games two and four, before Paul gained the break in games six and eight.

???For some reason I came out flat in the first set, but my concentration was much better in the second,'' said Beasley, ranked No. 32 in the nation, who wore his usual all-black finals attire.

Beasley's best chance to lead in the second set came with Paul serving at 1-1. Paul avoided two break points down 15-40, including a service winner at 30-40.

The two traded breaks in games six and seven and Beasley served to even the match at 4-4. But Paul broke the Midwest sectional runner-up for the sixth time and then served out the match at love for the title.

???Tommy is probably the best player I have faced this year,'' Beasley stated. ???He and the guy I lost to at sectionals are pretty even.''

Paul and Beasley could cross paths twice more this summer as both plan to compete in the USTA National Clay Courts (Greensboro, N.C.) and the National Hard Courts (Little Rock, Ark).

Tourney Notes: Tournament director Eric Voges will request the National Open 14s for the next two years ??¦ So Chattanooga could see many of these 12-year-olds for the next two summers ??¦ Three Straight: Tommy Paul has not lost a singles match since playing in Baltimore, Md., in May ??¦ His three-tournament streak includes North Carolina state qualifying (singles), Southern Sectionals (singles and doubles) and National Open (singles) ??¦ tournament officials received kudos from parents and players throughout the week for a well run event ??¦ 7 Straight Wins: In the boys' consolation, unseeded Daniel Rayl (Carmel, Ind.) lost in the second round of the championship draw (to Tommy Paul). He then proceeded to win seven straight matches to finish fifth, including victories against three seeded players ??¦ Good Seeding: In boys' singles, the top three seeds finished 1-2-3 ??¦ No.2 doubles placed second to the No.4 seed ??¦ top seed lost in the semis ??¦ In girls' singles, the No.2 seed won it and No.1 seed placed fifth ??¦ No.2 doubles rallied to beat the top seed in the final ??¦ No.3 seed lost in the semis.

Boys Singles

Championship: No.1 Tommy Paul (Greenville, N.C.) d. No.2 David Beasley (Greenwood, Ind.), 6-2, 6-3

Third: No.3 Anudeep Kodali (Raleigh, N.C.) d. No.9 Adam Rudowski (Franklin, Tenn.)

Fifth: Daniel Rayl (Carmel, Ind.) d. No.5 Jordi Bofill (Guaynabo, Puerto Rico), 6-3, 6-2

Boys' Doubles

Championship: No.4 Michael Apple (Memphis, Tenn.)-Anudeep Kodali (Raleigh, N.C.) d. No.2 Sebastian Bromley (Louisville, Ky.)-Lee Martin (Gainesville, Ga.), 8-5

Girls' Singles

Championship: No.2 Diana Kussainova (Windermere, Fla.) d. No.5 Vooha Vellanki (Norcross, Ga.), 6-2, 7-5.

Third: No.9 Tiffany Huber (Detroit, Mich). d. No.5 Alexa Corse (Baltimore, Md.), 6-3, 6-1

Fifth: No.1 Sofia Kenin (Pembroke Pines, Fla.) d. No.9 Clare Raley (Atlanta, Ga.), 6-1, 6-0

Girls' Doubles

Championship: No.2 Shelby King (Cumming, Ga.)-Clare Raley (Atlanta, Ga.) d. No.1 Sofia Kenin (Pembroke Pines, Fla.)-Diana Kussainova (Windermere, Fla.), 9-7

Contact B.B. Branton at [email protected]

also posted on chattanoogan.com

• 4 months later...