Bench clearing brawl at Bellevue Baptist FCA scrimmage

formerCoach81

Did anyone else see this embarrassing melee between Cordova and Munford? I saw the young Munford line coach get in the face and holler at a Cordova player and the next thing you know, all heck broke loose. Every player from both teams,coaches, spectators were all in the middle of the field throwing fists, kicking, tackling, and slinging helmets. It went on til they were too tired to fight. From where I was sitting on the sideline I could see a Munford player that was getting stomped and beat half to death get up and run to the endzone and throw a lady's chair and holler profanities. It was outta control. I feel sorry for Bellevue Baptist Church as this took place on their soccer field right next to the interstate. I don't think I've ever witnessed anything quite like it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone else see this embarrassing melee between Cordova and Munford? I saw the young Munford line coach get in the face and holler at a Cordova player and the next thing you know, all heck broke loose. Every player from both teams,coaches, spectators were all in the middle of the field throwing fists, kicking, tackling, and slinging helmets. It went on til they were too tired to fight. From where I was sitting on the sideline I could see a Munford player that was getting stomped and beat half to death get up and run to the endzone and throw a lady's chair and holler profanities. It was outta control. I feel sorry for Bellevue Baptist Church as this took place on their soccer field right next to the interstate. I don't think I've ever witnessed anything quite like it.

I've not been to church in a couple of sundays,but to have that happen on church grounds is pretty bad to say the least.

I was there and have to agree that I've seen alot of high school football, but I've never seen anything like this! It did start when one of the coaches from Munford jumped in one of the Cordava players face and the next thing it was pure bedlam. One of the Munford parents said the coach that started the melee was the son of the Munford principal. The field was at the church and was located right by the interstate. Cars were slowing down and pulling off the side of the road to watch. Had to be over 100 people fighting and they weren't all players. Former players that were there watching got into the mix too. Helmets flying, chairs, and totally out of control. Coaches and officials had no chance to stop this mess and coaches even did a little shoving of their own. Officials just backed out of the brawl and I don't blame them. It's a shame that something like this awful display happens, but even worse when the event was sponsored by a church! Bet that the church won't be to anxious to sponsor anything like this again. Somebody needs to tell the coach from Munford that adults need to act like adults and not children. If there was a problem that was going on on the field, that's what the officials are there for. Let them handle it! It's a sorry state of affairs when the actions of adults result in this type of mess. Hopefully, the kids won't be penalized in the future by this type of activity not being sponsored by the church. I was embarassed by the whole sorry mess!

I was at attendance at the scrimmage. I do not have a dog in the fight for either team. I just love watching high school football. I saw the OL coach for Munford protect his Center from being punched. The referees threw a flag against Cordova player for punching the Ol for Munford. The player for cordova was ejected from the scrimmage. After this encounter, all heck broke loose. I do not know if it was a coach or just a parent/fan from Cordova... but I noticed him pull and Munford player out of a group of people...and throw him to the ground.... At this point in time, the Cordova players kicked the Munford player. What a shame!!! I hope that the cordova team is penalized for their actions and their actions reflected the leadership of the Coaching Staff!!!

I was at attendance at the scrimmage. I do not have a dog in the fight for either team. I just love watching high school football. I saw the OL coach for Munford protect his Center from being punched. The referees threw a flag against Cordova player for punching the Ol for Munford. The player for cordova was ejected from the scrimmage. After this encounter, all heck broke loose. I do not know if it was a coach or just a parent/fan from Cordova... but I noticed him pull and Munford player out of a group of people...and throw him to the ground.... At this point in time, the Cordova players kicked the Munford player. What a shame!!! I hope that the cordova team is penalized for their actions and their actions reflected the leadership of the Coaching Staff!!!

I'm not real sure how a coach is protecting his player by jumping in the opposing kids face and yelling "Why, why, why, why, why!!" How about just pulling the kids apart and separating them. It just showed alot of immaturity and unprofessionalism as well as instigation in my opinion even from a young coach. What they should have been doing is protecting the quarterback. After 35 years of coaching I've never seen a team, spread or otherwise (Texas Tech included), that had darn near 5 ft line splits. When there is a track meet to the QB on every play, it's time to cut them down where the linemen can get a chest punch on those guys shootin gaps unless you want your QB murdered.

Shame on all those involved. I would think that the coaches would be able to control their respected teams sadly it seems that was not the case. What's worse they allowed their teams to conduct themselves in such manner that could be called criminal. Was anyone arrested? Where the police called? What was this about a Munford coach being involved? What do you mean by protecting his player how did he do that. Was it as visionaire said he ran over and got in a cordova players "face" and if so how did that defuse the situation. I want to understand the chain of events that set this all off and how it could have been avoided.

5 Yd splits.... dont know what scrimmage what you were watching. But X's and O's shouldnt be what was talked about from this scrimmage. It should be what took place between these two teams. It appeared that Cordova fans, players, and coaches show a poor decision making (slinging helmets, fans throwing players down, and the Cordova HC not even within 20 yards of his team when the prayer was taking place).... Even if the OL coach from Munford was yelling why, why, why.... what took place afterwards was NO EXCUSE for the Wolfpack fans to act with no class and even at one point in time have fans threaten the officials.... NO EXCUSE

Also what are the penalties for the teams for this type of behavior. Is just the player punished that was ejected or both the teams for an all out brawl. If it's as you say that the coach was in the cordova's player face yelling causing the situation to get worse instead of cooling thing down what should happen to him.

I don't know what game "Oldtimer" was at, but I can assure you that his explanation is a complete and utter fabrication of the truth. I paid good money for my glasses and guess what....they work! There was no flag thrown by an official or any player ejected (the melee started immediately as the coach from Munford started screaming in the Cordova player's face). I did notice that this was "Oldtimer's" first post as he joined tonight. While he may not have a "dog in the fight" is it possible that he might be the "dog?" Interesting! Anyway, it was a sorry display of leadership and sportsmanship by one supposedly in charge of youth. Hopefully, there will not be a reoccurence of this type of behavior. We play Munford week 3 and it is a big rivarly game. Let's look forward to a hardfought game by both teams (Legally...with only pads and headgear!) That's the way the game is meant to be played.

5 Yd splits.... dont know what scrimmage what you were watching. But X's and O's shouldnt be what was talked about from this scrimmage. It should be what took place between these two teams. It appeared that Cordova fans, players, and coaches show a poor decision making (slinging helmets, fans throwing players down, and the Cordova HC not even within 20 yards of his team when the prayer was taking place).... Even if the OL coach from Munford was yelling why, why, why.... what took place afterwards was NO EXCUSE for the Wolfpack fans to act with no class and even at one point in time have fans threaten the officials.... NO EXCUSE

I said 5 ft not yds and I even won't go into kick stepping. Obviously with your 2 total posts you are a Munfordian putting the blame on Cordova. However, I am blaming both. The young Munford coach made a mistake as well as the Cordova coaches by lack of immediate action. There was a lack of control by both. Heck, you couldn't even tell who the head coaches were on either team. It seemed like nobody was able to step up and take control until the kids got all of the fight out of their systems. I think the TSSAA needs to step in here and review the scrimmage tapes and determine if they need to deal with both of these schools. It just upsets me that this puts an even uglier black eye on Memphis area football. It's already a joke to the rest of the state and this type of incident makes it even worse. It's all around sad. I'm not sure if Bellevue would want to welcome teams back to a place where this type of thing shouldn't even remotely be an issue.