Halls Red Devils

1moreopinion

Halls has one scrimmage under its belt. Catholic this Tues. and Carter next Tues.

Who are the starters right now?

What are the predictions for the upcoming season?

There doesn't seem to be high expectations or much excitement this year. Is that because last year didn't go well? Just wondering what everyone thought.

After two scrimmages against traditional power house programs, my two cents:

- Two wins is great for this teams confedence!! Not only did we win on score board, we actually controlled both scrimmages.

- Defensive speed is MUCH better than last years. DB's and LB's are flying around to the ball all over the field. What looks like big holes are closed quickly.

- Dowdy has looked exceptional at QB!! Any doubts about him leading this team has been removed. He is the real deal!! Passing game looks like the best since Julian has taken over.

- Young offensive line is getting the job done. Superstar Tait from Catholic was held in place better than expected - Long and Mcfalls did OK with him most of the scrimmage. Proud of Long,who wieghs about 150 pounds less than Tait, for is effort against him!!

Great job of coaching this year getting the team prepared!! Team looks organized in all the small areas, which seemed to be a problem last year. Not saying this team will win a state championship, but look for this team to be the surprise team in Konxville this year.

Maybe I saw I different scrimmage, early in the game Catholic moved the ball on the ground. From what I was told, the Irish wanted to keep it very very basic. I'm assuming Halls did also. Catholic had way to many penalties and the pass blocking could be better (switching offenses like they have, may take time to adjust). They do scrimmage on Friday too. Halls, at times struggled, as evidence by a Halls coach cursing during the game. Halls, I have to admit looked very fast and their QB was really good. As the game went on Halls looked strong and not as winded as some of the Irish players. Halls has a really good team and should compete for a district tiltle good luck.

Maybe I saw I different scrimmage, early in the game Catholic moved the ball on the ground. From what I was told, the Irish wanted to keep it very very basic. I'm assuming Halls did also. Catholic had way to many penalties and the pass blocking could be better (switching offenses like they have, may take time to adjust). They do scrimmage on Friday too. Halls, at times struggled, as evidence by a Halls coach cursing during the game. Halls, I have to admit looked very fast and their QB was really good. As the game went on Halls looked strong and not as winded as some of the Irish players. Halls has a really good team and should compete for a district tiltle good luck.

I agree. Both teams are not going to show "everything" in any scrimmage or jamoree game. Catholic was running pretty well early. When #23 went down, I think it Catholic became a little more protective of #1. Their running game wasn't quite as effective after that. (Halls may have made some adjustments as well to slow down the run) Second, I am sure Meadows is trying to go through the growing pains of becoming a more wide open offense and wanted to keep throwing. I saw it as a stalemate for the most part. Halls broke one long run and did look a little fresher than Catholic later on.

Ironman, I also loved seeing the defense flying around. They gave up too many yards on many plays, but they kept hustling and running to the ball. They have created several turnovers in the two scrimmages. That could be great if they keep it up. The negative would be their inability to get off the field on 3 and long plays and 4 and short plays.

The offense stills needs to work on the running game. They can't seem to get enough of those 4 to 6 yard carries which runs the clock.

i have no doubt that Catholic will be a power in their region and the 6A teams they face are in for a game. I hope #23 isn't hurt too bad and good luck to you as well.

Sorry - I should have mentioned I was including the opening drive Halls had the night before - Halls drove down to the Irish 10 and stalled, held Catholic and got a pick by #10, then the game got sloppy with lightning and such. Thus, I felt Halls looked really good early Tuesday with the opening 60 yard drive and the first series pick.

- My overall view counted this part of the scrimmage also. I would agree that on Wednesday night it looked like catholic had fixed their problems on Offense and drove the ball well early. Halls started out slow on Wednesday thean came on strong - maybe because they were smaller and faster - while the heat wore on the Catholic players.

- Overall, pretty even. I think 13-7 first teamers, with most of the night spent on the Catholic side of the field.

My main point was did anyone believe that Halls could not only hold their own with Catholic and DB, but truthfully out play both of these squads?? I was in no way demeaning Catholic or DB, as both programs are way ahead of ours right now. However, we did look good (even though it's just a scrimmage) and most people did not expect that this year.

After two scrimmages against traditional power house programs, my two cents:

- Two wins is great for this teams confedence!! Not only did we win on score board, we actually controlled both scrimmages.

- Defensive speed is MUCH better than last years. DB's and LB's are flying around to the ball all over the field. What looks like big holes are closed quickly.

- Dowdy has looked exceptional at QB!! Any doubts about him leading this team has been removed. He is the real deal!! Passing game looks like the best since Julian has taken over.

- Young offensive line is getting the job done. Superstar Tait from Catholic looked like superdud - Long and Mcfalls controlled him most of the scrimmage. His temper tantrum on the sideline showed his frustration of being dominated by Long, who wieghs about 150 pounds less than him!!

Great job of coaching this year getting the team prepared!! Team looks organized in all the small areas, which seemed to be a problem last year. Not saying this team will win a state championship, but look for this team to be the surprise team in Konxville this year.

Ironman80.

IMO, Halls secondary looks very strong. New DB coach, no? Where'd he come from? Toler, I believe his name is. Those kids broke on the ball well. Catholic WRs gotta catch it out front, and not raise the head before the cut. Halls LBs looked good. They run well, hit, tackle. Easy reads though. Pretty simplified version of Spread. Only a couple of formations. QB has the ball, drop to the flat or get to the curl zone. QB doesn't have the ball tackle the only RB. Easy 4 Wide = 1RB. Drop the LBs, and your 4 WR are covered by 7.

Thought Catholic ran the ball well initially. Showed the 2 Back, 3 Wide. After the dropsies, picks, and watered down formations (pretty much single back), Halls played up, and had 8-9 in the box. Thought the OL gave good protection. QB needs to find 2nd, 3rd option faster.

Watched Tait specifically on defense. Saw two sacks and stopped the RB at or behind the LOS early (1st two series). Ran to the other side much more than not after that. Both he and 77 got good pressure up the middle. Saw him get high-lowed, cut, and held, no, tackled. I'd have done the same. Can't blame the kid for being upset. Tantrum, no. Superdud. No.

Seen Halls plenty over the years, and this may be one of their better Julian teams. Loved the QB, and the Wingbacks hit the hole well. Shows good trust, knowledge of the OL & offense in general. Backs ran hard as well. Not a lot of solo tackles. Overall team speed is improved. WRs block well down field. Kicking game needs work though. DL, too much reading. Just get across the LOS, disrupt, and let the LBs tackle.

cherries -

- I went back and changed my original post. I should never had said that about him and apologize. He (Tait) is a fine athelte and has surely gone through alot over the past few years. I've watched him play since 7th grade and truley respect his game. I wish him the best. I've told everyone to look out for him ever since then.

- What I got over excited about was this line has been told the were going to be terrible, and the "weak link" of the team. I was excited with their improvement, and let that excitement get the best of me.

- RB was the real deal, my two cents was he looked much better than Sensenbaugh of DB. Maybe not fair to Sensenbaugh - he didn't get many carries against us - but Cozart looked a step faster.

cherries -

- I went back and changed my original post. I should never had said that about him and apologize. He (Tait) is a fine athelte and has surely gone through alot over the past few years. I've watched him play since 7th grade and truley respect his game. I wish him the best. I've told everyone to look out for him ever since then.

- What I got over excited about was this line has been told the were going to be terrible, and the "weak link" of the team. I was excited with their improvement, and let that excitement get the best of me.

- RB was the real deal, my two cents was he looked much better than Sensenbaugh of DB. Maybe not fair to Sensenbaugh - he didn't get many carries against us - but Cozart looked a step faster.

It's good. I like the Shattuck kid in another year. Keep his weight down, and his feet improving. Cozart will play on Saturdays, for sure. Tait, well that just caught me off guard. Never heard him and "superdud" in the same sentence. Sort of like saying Caleb Leonard never gave effort, or Drayton could'nt catch.