District 4A

HOOPSGURU

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Oliver Springs - G Rather and P Harper are good a good pair where both could be top players in district. Will need to find a replacement in the paint left by P Carter with off. and def. Good experience coming back in guards Miller, Eskridge, and Tarver.

2. Jellico - Not familiar with their roster, but all indications are they are a solid team and will step in and compete atop the district.

3. Oneida - slight edge over Wartburg. Only experience they return are G Carson and G West. Don't have much height and need to develop young players.

4. Wartburg - Suffered the most to graduation. Return only G Shannon and P Goodman with big game experience. Do have a solid freshman coming in and could play early. Finding a solid PG to replace Bunch will be key.

5. Oakdale - They have a coaching change but do return solid players in G Currier and P Kilby. Need to find a couple of guards to step up. Transfer from Harriman will help this team. Might be a year away.

6. Sunbright - Lose a tough player in Sexton, and will need to find someone to fill the scoring he help provide. Do have some young sophomore who can play along with vetern guard Higgins and post Chambers. Maybe a year away from making noise.

7. Coalfield - Return quite a few from last season, but one big hurdle for this team is size. Powers and Hill are solid and will need others to step up and score. A new coach could bring them from the bottom, but this will not be their year to climb to the top.

Thanks for the run down, but a couple of quick questions.

1) OS-Is there any depth after the 5 you talked about?

2) Jellico-Are they really that good?

3) Oneida-Can they truly compete without any size?

4) Wartburg-Why so low, if PG is the only question?

5) Oakdale-Who is the new coach? How will they play for the new coach?

6) Sunbright-Can they compete past Coalfield?

7) Coalfield-Who is the new coach? How will they play for the new coach?

I by no means have the answers nor do I claim to be an expert on these teams. This is my observations/guesses on how each team will be. But here goes...

1) OS-Is there any depth after the 5 you talked about?

They will be no better or worse than any other team in the district. The guys off the bench are new to big game varsity experience. The top 5 mentioned above played in crunch time last year.

2) Jellico-Are they really that good?

Just don't know alot, they had a good season last year (20 wins, semi-final of region) and my understanding they return a good number of those players.

3) Oneida-Can they truly compete without any size?

They didn't look bad this summer from what I saw. They play hard, played good defense, and the coach seems to be settling in nicely.

4) Wartburg-Why so low, if PG is the only question?

Why so high? The lost 7 seniors that saw signifigant playing time. They will have alot of new faces, similar to 07-08 season. Wartburg is a solid program. They probably will have some growing pains with the inexperience but come feb. they will be ok.

5) Oakdale-Who is the new coach? How will they play for the new coach?

He was the middle school coach at OS. He will bring a winning attitude and hopefully get those guys excited about basketball. Is there enough talent there to achieve wins?

6) Sunbright-Can they compete past Coalfield?

The group of sophomore were a talented group in middle school but are they ready for high school action? Some will have to play now. If they find some offensive weapons, they could surprise.

7) Coalfield-Who is the new coach? How will they play for the new coach?

He also was a middle school coach who I think was the assistant for them last season. Let's hope they will play hard for him, but is the talent good enough to get out of the bottom?

Anyone else want to take a stab at ranking and describing these teams?

• 1 month later...

1. jellico

2. oz

3. wartburg/oneida

4. oneida/wartburg

5. oakdale

6. coalfield

7. sunbright

jellico has a lot of depth, a demanding coach, and are returning a core of players who have started since their soph. year they will be loaded this team knows how to win and play together. Strong on all positions and have 3 to 4 solid players coming off the bench. Thompson and Marlow in their backcourt are a very tough duo.

oz has rather who can play i think all of there other players are overrated but they are good enough to seal them a no. 2 spot.

i have oneida and wartburg battling it out for 3rd this year they both lost a lot talent wise and experience wise. i believe wartburg will edge them out with shannon and goodman being solid contributors and they will win many games from their backcourt pressure. oneida on the other hand lost a lot of size and a lot of underclassmen have quit on the new coach since he came in. Carson and West will have to haul a lot of the load but i believe wartburg edges them out because they do not have a point guard and other guards are not ball handlers.

oakdale has the 5 spot and they may upset either of the 2 above them on a good night. Currier is a very versatile guard and they have some size inside. They will be the team to sneak up on one of the top contenders i believe if they are not careful.

coalfield has to better than they were last year returning most of their players including powers and hill who are both pretty good players. they aren't going to contend with the top teams but can beat the likes of oakdale and sunbright and may win more than a few games this year. just a little confidence could win this team a few games.

sunbright to me has fallen to the lows Higgins returns at the point but he'll need a few guys to step up and play they have the least experience on the court and i believe that will hurt them.