District 11A

thenomad

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any word on the Mt. Pleasant/Hampshire game? Did the battle of the two worst coaches live up to expectations? Cornersville puts a beat down on Richland. Is this the worst Richland team in a long time?

I spoke with some friends from Mt. P that were there, said Hampshire won by 4 in OT. Hampshire ran out to a big halftime lead but struggled in the third quarter. I was critical of Hampshire early, but went to the CA game and I was quite impressed with there coach. The team seemed to play much harder and better than Hampshire has in a long time. I liked the guy, and I sat above his bench. There are only like 150 kids there, and I think he gets a lot out of them. He won't be there long, I don't think he has ties to the school there, he has too much energy for a place that can only hope to fight for 5th every year. Now, Mt. P is a different story, they have more athletes to choose fom and should compete.

From my observations of Culleoka's girls, it is a combinatioin of the coach and the girls. The girls don't seem to listen to what the coach is saying. He seems to be telling them what to do but then they don't do it. Maybe this is just me but I don't think the coach is the one to blame. Last not was UGLY as cullypride says, but I don't think it was the coach. I think it was a lack of effort. CA shot numerous layups because Culleoka's D never got back. The coach constantly was subbing out players who weren't getting it done. This team couldn't make anything. The assistant coach was continuely yelling pop it and they would miss badly. I was sitting behind the basket on the Culleoka side and was impressed by the coaching staff's heart and fight. Towards the end they didn't get excited or jump around, but they never stopped trying to get plays run. How many times can a coach call "Attack" and not one player attepmt to get to the basket.

I agree hard times have fallen for Culleoka this season; however, people need to see the improvements that have been made and get behind the coach and tell the players listen to him. If your not willing to do that, tell your athlete not to play. I remember a period of time when there were 7 players on the bench for David Muckle.

As for the rest of the district, Cornersville beat Community by 15.

Tonight another round of games:

Culleoka v. Hampshire

CA v. Richland

Santa Fe v. Mt. Pleasant

Cully-CA game got UGLY. CA won by a score of something like 64 to 12. How long will the school let this happen without at least making a change????

Did you read what thenomad said a few days back? That is pretty important information. Please read this. I would hazard a guess that they (Culleoka Girls Team) could use a hand in most any way shape or form. If I were you , I would quit whining and posting about the girls team/coach, and begin doing something helpful, such as volunteering time to the team. You could ask their coach if you could rebound for the team, or whatever. Let the girls shoot for an hour (apparently they do need practice shooting) and you run down the ball. Apparently you are into basketball. Maybe you could assist several of the players who are interested by coaching or assisting an AAU team of kids who want to play in a more competive setting.

Their team needs help, and until you actually do something constructive about it, it doesn't look or sound good to anybody, inside or outside the Culleoka program. It seems as all you do is complain about them and their coach. Their coach may or may not deserve it. If he does, you can box him into a corner by asking questions. When are tryouts? What do you think about some of these kids playing AAU? Will you help with AAU? How much do you intend to practice over the summer? How many camps? Etc. You could ask which parents would be most likely to help as well. At least his response would render useful information.

Again, the way I read thenomad, the coach didn't hardly even know if he had a team until a few weeks before the season's practice began. He certainly couldn't count on the Jr. High players at that point.

Be constructive, not destructive.

Cully-CA game got UGLY. CA won by a score of something like 64 to 12. How long will the school let this happen without at least making a change????

Did you read what thenomad said a few days back? That is pretty important information. Please read this. I would hazard a guess that they (Culleoka Girls Team) could use a hand in most any way shape or form. If I were you , I would quit whining and posting about the girls team/coach, and begin doing something helpful, such as volunteering time to the team. You could ask their coach if you could rebound for the team, or whatever. Let the girls shoot for an hour (apparently they do need practice shooting) and you run down the ball. Apparently you are into basketball. Maybe you could assist several of the players who are interested by coaching or assisting an AAU team of kids who want to play in a more competive setting.

Their team needs help, and until you actually do something constructive about it, it doesn't look or sound good to anybody, inside or outside the Culleoka program. It seems as all you do is complain about them and their coach. Their coach may or may not deserve it. If he does, you can box him into a corner by asking questions. When are tryouts? What do you think about some of these kids playing AAU? Will you help with AAU? How much do you intend to practice over the summer? How many camps? Etc. You could ask which parents would be most likely to help as well. At least his response would render useful information.

Again, the way I read thenomad, the coach didn't hardly even know if he had a team until a few weeks before the season's practice began. He certainly couldn't count on the Jr. High players at that point.

Couldn't have said it better myself. As for the team, the girls need to give respect in order to get respect. I don't know exactly what the problem with the team is, but from my view of the situation, the team as a whole doesn't respect each other. It seems like a few of the girls only want to play when each other are on the floor at that time, and when one or two of them are on the bench, they just give up and quit trying. If you want to play ball, you'll play for the game, and your love for the game. It just seems like some of the girls are in it for the wrong reasons.

The team has talent, in all areas and grades, but the girls just haven't figured out how to put everything together on the court yet. It takes more than a year or two to build a team. The team will get better, even if it takes a while. But as for the girls, like I said before, you've got to give respect to get respect.

Not whining about anything. Don't think they have ever had try outs. Just come and go as you please. "If you have something better to do than practice and get better then by all means don't show up, you will not run or anything for missing practice to go shopping".Yes, the girls should play AAU, yes I would help, I would practice more than twice all summer, and definately go to a few camps. They have 17 players so there is no shortage of players.

Before everybody starts talking about respect wait until you hear his half time speech to a team that is getting beat 40-3, from last night's game (and I quote) "Varsity, do you know why I don't put the 8th graders in? Because they will make ya'll look bad. To #&!$ with ya'll" Then he walked out. This coming from numerous players who heard it. How are they going to be a team when they coach says things like this? They have been rebuilding this team for almost 10 years now and they still only win 3 maybe 4 games a year. The girls play good in middle school and get the fire beat outta them in high school. Who catches the blame?? It starts at the top.