Kickers/Punters

futbol20

IHS has two sophomore punters/kickers who are excellent. (Landon Foster, Shane Powell) They both have showed they have what it takes to be playing varsity football.

Landon Foster was 3/3 on field goals against Oakland

Shane Powell kicked the game winner against Siegel.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By "best kicker" I'm going to assume the thread is about those with the most current ability and future potential.

Corey Acosta - Christian Brothers Memphis 2010: Consistent, not a huge leg by college standards.

Nick Pollard - Father Ryan 2010: Serious distance.

John Long - Ooltewah 2010: Great all around kicker who like the others has worked hard.

Zach Sharp - Maryville 2011: 71 yd. KO avg. in 1st game. With 2 seasons left, holds Maryville all-time

record for field goals, never missed from inside 40. Missed one PAT in 3 years.

BillyBee - to respond directly to your post about kickers, rankings, and what coaches look for: I think you've hit on the rub. First, most folk have little idea how to evaluate a kicker, and which aspect of the kicking game should get more consideration. You mention that the ranking services shouldn't be taken seriously, but kids that really work hard at kicking have to go somewhere for instruction as well as help in the recruiting process. So the campsranking services become a kind of middle man (effectiveness, cost, etc could be very much debated) that are an attempt (imperfect for sure) to match the skills of kids from the Atlantic to Pacific.

That said, what college coaches say they are looking for a combination of the following:

Someone who can consistently hit kickoffs from a 1" tee that get in the neighborhood of 4.0 hang time or better. The farther beyond a 60 yard avg. the better. Beyond 70 preferred, but not at the expense of hang time.

Someone who has a demonstrated ability to very consistently make FG's from 45 yards and in off the ground. Some kids never really make the transition from 2" block (high school). If a kicker can demonstrate this ability, it takes some guess work out for college coaches. Great fun to hit from 65, but few coaches will give that opportunity in an actual game.

Someone who is a model citizen, can basically coach himself (because few teams have coaches who really understand the mechanics of kicking), and will raise the overall GPA of the team.

Forget extra point stats - it's assumed you'll hit them all. Forget also the kicker with the huge but undisciplined and inconsistent leg. Coaches want to know what they can constistently expect from their kickers - in real game situations.

Excellent analysis fathereb :oops: You know me better as ATCPT, but I could not get that screen name to work. I am really impressed with the way Zach is kicking this year. As a Freshman and Sophomore he was still trying to figure things out. He is kicking the ball very well so far this year and has added distance and consistency (despite 2 semiknuckle ball kickoffs Friday, don't worry it happens). His FGs so far this year have been beautiful. He is going to have an excellent year as a Junior and should be in the running as the states best kicker as a senior. Zach will definitely be kicking, and I think at a very high level, on Saturdays in a couple of years, and has the potential to go beyond that. It will be interesting to see if someone steps up and offers him a scholarship, or if like so many kickers, will be expected to walk on. He will be a good investment for any college/university that offers him a scholarship for all the reasons you listed about what college coaches are looking for in a kicker!!!