Line Judges

ghs17dad

Since this is a Gallatin inquiry, P4k is the best person to answer this. Different Schools in diferent Districts may handle it differently.

The procedure in the District I am familiar with is a list of qualified who will line judge is accumulated by the Coach or those people associated with the program and line judges are picked from those volunteers. There are qualifications thought to be necessary but a judges list is available. Usually the judges have agreed before they get to the match. The official talks to the judges before the match and orients the officials as to what he wants and they work as a team.

The UP official controls the match and can overrule any calls he sees might be unsighted or rule the point needs to be played over is there is a dispute.

Anything concerning a match can be questioned by an official as he/she has complete control.

I'm sure there is more to it than this and others will post that. This is the procedure I have seen. This doesn't answer your question likely.h

All the parents should line judge at least once so they would see that when you are standing down there on that line trying to watch and get the right call.Then a ball hits one foot out of bounds but grandma or grandpa or mom or dad think its was easily in when they are at the top of bleacher talking to the neighbor and cant see straight down the line because believe me the angles make it look different.Just remember the next time you go to a game think that lady or man down there on the court is trying there best.Like the old saying if it was easy everybody would do it. :popcorneater:

All the parents should line judge at least once so they would see that when you are standing down there on that line trying to watch and get the right call.Then a ball hits one foot out of bounds but grandma or grandpa or mom or dad think its was easily in when they are at the top of bleacher talking to the neighbor and cant see straight down the line because believe me the angles make it look different.Just remember the next time you go to a game think that lady or man down there on the court is trying there best.Like the old saying if it was easy everybody would do it. :popcorneater:

AMEN!

AB, your description of that should be put on every officials stand. For those who can appreciate what AB said, Thats what the man/woman in the chair above the middle of the court is all about. He/she has to sift thru the calls act like a traffic cop for about two hours or so, straightening out rotattion errors and scratching his/her head, and at the end, Cross His/Her Heart and say "Thank God This is Over With" and try gracefully to get off the stand, listening to a choral rendention of "Good Game". Such is the great Sport of Volleyball. Great Line Judge, we're thinking about you.

Hey guys! Been quite busy as of late.

As far as line judges go, there is no hard and fast rule. Generally speaking, adults are strongly preferred for a district match... you will typically see the same on a JV, though I'm personally more lenient on JV. Ultimately, it's up to the referee who is or isn't acceptable.

My only two requests: someone who PAYS ATTENTION and someone with a BRAIN. Enthusiasm is welcome and a closed mouth is required.

Announcements