Brentwood Academy @ Olive Branch, MS

BigSneaky

The Eagles lost a tight one to Father Ryan last week and will now travel to Mississippi to take on the Conquistadors of Olive Branch. This is going to be a tough game for BA, as Olive Branch is one the top ranked schools in Mississippi, and have linemen with NFL type size. The Eagles will need to throw the football effectively to gain any ground against the mammoth Conquistador line, and on defense will need to take the MUS approach and submarine the offensive line to allow the linebackers a chance to stop OB's outstanding running back Keyshun Shipp. I will be rooting for the Eagles, but this game, to me at least, looks like it will turn out similar to the Prattville game played last year.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Eagles lost a tight one to Father Ryan last week and will now travel to Mississippi to take on the Conquistadors of Olive Branch. This is going to be a tough game for BA, as Olive Branch is one the top ranked schools in Mississippi, and have linemen with NFL type size. The Eagles will need to throw the football effectively to gain any ground against the mammoth Conquistador line, and on defense will need to take the MUS approach and submarine the offensive line to allow the linebackers a chance to stop OB's outstanding running back Keyshun Shipp. I will be rooting for the Eagles, but this game, to me at least, looks like it will turn out similar to the Prattville game played last year.

BigSneaky,

What SPECIFIC info can you give us about Brentwood Academy, in any/all areas? Please be as detailed as possible.

I will then give you as much info on Olive Branch as I can remember.

That should help enable us all to make a more informed assestment on this game.

Thanks.

BigSneaky,

What SPECIFIC info can you give us about Brentwood Academy, in any/all areas? Please be as detailed as possible.

I will then give you as much info on Olive Branch as I can remember.

That should help enable us all to make a more informed assestment on this game.

Thanks.

I will give you my assessment, as well.

BA is in a little bit of a tough time. They have a young line in a rebuilding year. They have very good fast receivers and running backs, but their starting tailback is out (Victor Cairo) and now their feature receiver and return man appears to have been injured this past week (Josh Pleasant). QB play is much improved from last year, which is to say it is pretty good this year. Very good defensive backs with that young line again. The two senior linemen play both ways. BA has a good kicker. He kicks field goals, punts and kicks off, however he does not kick extra points. Another player who is not as good kicks extra points (I don't understand this, but I am sure the coaches know more than me).

From what I hear, we are going to have a very tough time matching up with a very talented and big Olive Branch line. I think if we did not have the typical football injury problems, we would still have a tough time overcoming that match-up.

Rumor has it that OBHS running back SHIPP has a broken foot. Does anybody have in info?

BA coaching staff will have the team prepared this week. Lot's of things to work on.

BA gave away the game to FRHS with 3 turnovers in the red zone for scores.

Don't think they will give away this game if in that postion again.

I'm sure the extra point that was missed last week will not be a problem this week. They should use FG kicker to kick extra points. (I hope).

OBHS had last week off so they are well rested which will be a plus.

BA will have the I-40 bus snooze which is a negative.

Should be a fun game to watch.

BA is in a little bit of a tough time. They have a young line in a rebuilding year. They have very good fast receivers and running backs, but their starting tailback is out (Victor Cairo) and now their feature receiver and return man appears to have been injured this past week (Josh Pleasant). QB play is much improved from last year, which is to say it is pretty good this year. Very good defensive backs with that young line again. The two senior linemen play both ways. BA has a good kicker. He kicks field goals, punts and kicks off, however he does not kick extra points. Another player who is not as good kicks extra points (I don't understand this, but I am sure the coaches know more than me).

From what I hear, we are going to have a very tough time matching up with a very talented and big Olive Branch line. I think if we did not have the typical football injury problems, we would still have a tough time overcoming that match-up.

1) What type of offense does BA run?

2) What's the base defense?

3) Is the QB more effective as a runner or passer, or both (ala Barry Brunetti)?

4) Are they more run or pass-oriented -- which is more effective for them?

5) How is BA's run-defense ... pass-defense?

6) Does BA have much team speed, particularly the skill positions?

Olive Branch had two men at the BA game Friday night and they charted every play from the opening Kick off to the last play of the game so they have all the info they want, they also toured the new buiding and I'm sure they also have film. OB should be ready as should BA so I hope it turns out to be a good game.

1) What type of offense does BA run?

2) What's the base defense?

3) Is the QB more effective as a runner or passer, or both (ala Barry Brunetti)?

4) Are they more run or pass-oriented -- which is more effective for them?

5) How is BA's run-defense ... pass-defense?

6) Does BA have much team speed, particularly the skill positions?

First, let me start with a few side notes about the Olive Branch (Mississippi) Conquistadors:

-- team colors: navy blue/yellow (something like that)

-- they have a beautiful, million-dollar fast-track field-turf!

-- huge, play-clock in the end zones

-- nice stadium, plenty seating, plenty of parking

-- 1st-class facility, overall

-- they have tremendous fan-support. Expect a packed house!

-- excellent football atmosphere

-- 2 nice sized consession stands (home/visitor sides)

-- CLEAN restrooms; on both sides I think (if my memory is working).

--------------------------------------------

Now, here's the 4-1-1 on Olive Branch's football team:

1) They run a spread offense -- they THRIVE on big-plays!

-- they had REPEATED bad shot-gun snaps vs East, which destroyed their timing (opportunity??)

-- I don't know if they fixed that HUGE problem, vs Millington!!!!

-- their offensive line is absolutely MONSTEROUS...and tall ( appx. avgs 6-5, 300+)!!!!!

note: Mphs East's OL is not too much smaller, just a bit less skillful.

2) Their base defense is 50, I think-- they ran a 4-3 vs East

-- they will play to take away your biggest offensive strength, naturally.

3) They feature a 2-QB system:

-- the starter is a more effective passer and adequate runner; not accuarate on the run

-- the backup/alternate is more effective and dangerous runner; below-avg passer.

4) OB has an OUTSTANDING running game, featuring Keyshun (sp?) Shipp.

-- Ship reminds me of DeAngelo Williams (former Univ of Memphis; current South Carolina Panthers).

-- FAST! He's a threat to take it to the house everytime he touches the ball

-- Very stout; hard runner; very hard to tackle -- forget about arm tackles!!

-- excellent receiver out of backfield.

-- Most underrated RB in the State of Miss, IMHO.

-- The sky is the limit for this RB!! This young man is just that good!

Note: I'm unaware of any Shipp foot injuries. (that would be a shame)

5) OB's passing game vs East was sub-par....

6) Their run-defense was outstanding vs East, during the 1st-half. East's run-game got untracked during the 2nd-half, mostly via the QB-keeper on the option.

7) Their pass-defense (cover-2) got absolutely shredded (280+ yards?)!! Plus, many more balls were dropped, by East's receivers.

8) East's kicking game was horrible to non-existent!

-- note: East scored only 14 pts.... the cover-2 actually did it's job, aided by East's lack of execution in Red Zone.

9) Biggest Strengths -- Speed, size and athleticism.

-- Olive Branch has speed all over the field, on both sides of the ball.

10) Biggest weaknesses -- Pass defense, shot-gun snaps.

11) Olive Branch has a very solid team, overall! It they ever get some consistency out of their QB position....look out! Their pass-defense is still a bit suspect (bend-but-don't-break??)

-------------------------------------

Keys to victory for BA:

-- Do not give up the big-play!

-- Focus on stopping the run

-- (Expect bad shot-gun snaps)

-- Win the field-position battle

-- Patience offensively = control the clock

-- Good kicking game

-- I repeat: Do not give up the big-play!

Note: Olive Branch held on & defeated Mphs East 23 - 14, in a game that East SHOULD have won!

-- OB scored all its points in the 1st-half, as East gave up countless big running plays!

-- East outplayed OB during the 2nd-half, but could not put enough points on the board.

-- East had about 3 or 4 empty trips into OB's Red Zone: no kicking game

-- East's 2nd-biggest RZ problem was dropped passes and penalties.

-- East's poor Red-Zone execution caused them to lose vs OB.

BA just simply doesn't have the horses to hang with OB. OB is more on the level of MUS. This game could get out of hand real fast. Now, in years past BA would've beaten a good team like OB. It won't happen this year. Even last year they might have been able to hang with them. If they play like they did against Father Ryan the final score will look ugly. My prediction: OB 37 BA 13

Keys to victory for BA:

-- Do not give up the big-play!

-- Focus on stopping the run

-- (Expect bad shot-gun snaps)

-- Win the field-position battle

-- Patience offensively = control the clock

-- Good kicking game

-- I repeat: Do not give up the big-play!

Quick Summary: Olive Branch had absolutely too much speed and athleticism for BA. Plus, it's massive OL dominated BA!

------------------------------------------

Keys to victory?: BA failed miserably to do the KEY things necessary to win:

1) They repeatedly gave up the big-play

2) They could not stop the run (OR the pass!)

3) (OB had only 1 or 2 bad snaps = non-factor )

4) lost the field-position game--they couldn't move the ball, consistently.

5) Could not control the clock & keep OB's offense off the field (see #4)

6) kicking game = non-factor.

7) Again--the big play DESTROYED BA!!