Jefferson County Baseball

counteroption

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just informed that yesterday Coach Jones had a meeting with the team and was very angry about some of the players going to Carson Newman College to hit regularly. He told the team to stop going to CN because those coaches and players were teaching and preparing them to hit in college not high school. I was told Coach felt like any player that hit at CN should sit the bench.

I'm not sure what Coach Jones problem is, but I find this ridiculous. Why would he not want his players to go hit and get better at CN? I know for a fact that every coach at that college has been around the game longer, has more baseball knowledge, and has had more sucess than Coach Jones. Im not sure if Coach Jones is jealous because his players do not buy into his bullshvt career and coaching stats or his coaching ways or what. The coaches at CN are doing a huge favor for the boys that go over there and hit and helping them get better. If the high school coaches would actually let the players hit when they want and help them when they want the players maybe wouldnt have to go to CN. Anyways it makes no sense for Coach Jones to say or enforce anything that his players do at CN .

As for the last post I would like to add this. The players I think you are referring to have not hit well this year while the hitters that don't go to cn to hit are hitting the ball. Also you need to understand that one of the reasons the kids are going to cn is not only for hitting but also in hopes of maybe getting a scholarship from their because what I heard it is mostly the juniors and sophs going. Finally this another example of why sports don't succed in Jeff County. The parents cannot accept they are no longer coaches and let the ones getting paid to coach do their jobs. The boys basketball team was better this year because they let the coaches and didn't have anyone coaching from the stands.

To the previous post....Name me one player who has not been influenced by a Carson-Newman coach/affiliate. Every kid played for either Langdon Potts or Tyler Wynn in the summer and all have hit with Charlie Munroe, Matt Carter, or Coach Griffin at some point this year. I believe Coach Jones and all of the aforementioned coaches are teaching very similar techniques/philosophies. I would seriously doubt Coach Jones saying "quit hitting with college coaches" becuase he wants these kids to succeed just as much as anyone else. I really hope this is not the case.

I agree that several of these players have been coached by Carson Newman coaches in the past. I also agree in that I don't see Coach Jones saying those things either. This team is loaded with as much potential as I have seen in a while since Potts, Long, Ausmus and Bowlin were there. I have seen several of their games this year and they just can't seem to put it all together. I think if everyone could get on the same page this team can still accomplish a lot.

Yes it has been a down year for several guys hitting but, to me I believe they would be going to CN to get extra reps and work out of their slumps with a well known coach. The reason no seniors are going to CN is probably because they dont care. 2 have already committed to colleges, 1 just pitches, 1 is only focused on school, and the other rarely plays. I would encourage my players who are not going to CN to go hit with college coaches and take advantage of what they are offering. A player going to hit at CN is not to blame for a bad hitting season.

Now Im not a parent but, I do have a very strong intrest in baseball and the Jefferson County baseball program. This team has lost so many games this year simply because Seals cannot manufacture runs and defensive errors but, thats another story. This team does not bunt, hit and run, or steal.The team has left several runners on base in most of their loses. If hitters are not driving in runs why not be aggresive and try a squeeze or hit and run to get runs across the plate. An example would be at Sevier County the other night. The Patriots left at least 15 runners on base. I saw no hit and runs and only one bunt that was not exacuted. I think the team has okay chemistry and all the kids want to win I just think the coaches need to learn to coach. If can honestly tell me that Coach Doug Seals and Coach Keith Jones are good coaches, you my friend do not know baseball. A good coaching staff could have this team in the state tournament.

I think you are totally out of line saying the seniors do not care. The two that have committed to colleges are showing alot of heart and look pretty darn good, the "pitcher only" wants to win bad, the one "focused only on school" spent 4 tough months rehabbing his knee after ACL surgery to get to play his senior year. Look at the stats, the seniors are on the top. Don't be such a downer......

No no you misunderstood or I did not make myself clear. Sorry. When I meant they didnt care I was talking about trying to get a scholarship from CN or working with their coaches. The seniors have played well and havent needed the extra reps but, Im not saying it wouldnet help. I know Evan is seriously considering playing at UT and I heard tonight Lambert might be going to a school in Alabama. I was not meaning these guys didnt care about the team or winning.

Its all good JeffCo...Just misunderstood your post... Just hope that the PATS can peak now. Great Win last night against Powell and their very good pitcher. Our lefties had some trouble hitting but the team pulled it out in the end which has not been the norm for them this year. Our pitchers were on.....Lambert was hitting his spots and Kirkpatrick had some timely strikeouts with the curve....and the coaches finally called for the bunt at the right time! Go Patriots!

Just my opinion, but I think part of the big drop off in hitting is we have finally played some teams with decent pitching. Patriots seemed to lose focus somewhat when they had to play Cocke County followed by the two Junior High teams from Kentucky and I believe Ohio. Patriots have some capable hitters, but the pitching they have faced has gotten better as well. I imagine they will see pretty good pitching the rest of the way.

Jeff County has posted two big wins the last couple of days. First they beat a very good Crockett team 8 to 7 on Wednesday night and then thrashed Morristown West 23 to 3 on Thursday night. These past couple of games show what this team is capable of when they play together and everyone gets on the same page. Pitching has been great and hitting also has been strong. If the Patriots can keep up this intensity they will be a force in the tournament. They have Powell at Powell on Saturday, Sevier at home Monday and Gibbs at home Wednesday. Patriots don't rest on what you have done but what you can accomplish in the near future. GO PATRIOTS!!!