Loretto vs Collinwood

wildcatpride70

Im guessing our qb must have hurt his throwing arm...that bites cause Max was awesome.

I was wondering why they didn't score vrs Adamsville, now I know

The problem replacing him is this...you CANNOT be successful running a Florida type

spread offense without a RUNNING quarterback. Fulmer tried that scheme last year

with Crompton and now Fulmer is scheming to find another job

the spread is not running back friendly and depends on the qb for some big runs

also, its really not passing friendly because of protection issues

The spread was originally designed for teams who had option style qbs but

wanted to run something a bit more diverse than the option. It has worked

well and worked well for Collinwood but the QB absolutely must be able to run

and he needs a decent arm to go with it

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im guessing our qb must have hurt his throwing arm...that bites cause Max was awesome.

The problem replacing him is this...you CANNOT be successful running a Florida type

spread offense without a RUNNING quarterback. Fulmer tried that scheme last year

Thats the reasoning behind using #1 instead of #7. These are high school kids and I would never want to downplay an individual's talent but with that being said #1 could contribute much more to this offense taking the snaps. He has a strong arm and can move as well. Maybe not the runner #5 is but certainly an improvement. It will be very hard to win games with the numbers we put up last week. I can't remember a game won where there was no points scored.

Thats the reasoning behind using #1 instead of #7. These are high school kids and I would never want to downplay an individual's talent but with that being said #1 could contribute much more to this offense taking the snaps. He has a strong arm and can move as well. Maybe not the runner #5 is but certainly an improvement. It will be very hard to win games with the numbers we put up last week. I can't remember a game won where there was no points scored.

I would go with a kid who could really run but had enough arm to complete a few passes

If I was going to play 7 then I would need to get in a more pro style offense so he could

get maximum protection. He can def throw it, but something that would support him with

quicker developing running plays would help him out a lot...they got plenty of excellent rbs...

they just need a formation that will get them running downhill immediately

From The Times Daily...

LORETTO, Tenn. - Coming into Thursday's game, Collinwood head coach Michael Statom wanted to concentrate on establishing the running game.

He did just that.

Collinwood churned out 232 yards on the ground, and the Trojans' defense stifled the Loretto's offense to take a 28-6 win.

"I've been concerned about our running game," Statom said.

"The offensive line really stepped up tonight and we had more yards running than passing."

Loretto's woes started early. After Matt Weigart connected with Derrick Harris on a 31-yard halfback pass play, the Mustangs fumbled on their next play to give Collinwood the ball on its own 25.

The Trojans responded with a 16-play, 75-yard drive that ended with a 2-yard touchdown run from Max Risner, who had 61 yards on eight carries in the first half.

Two other running backs - Blake Caperton had 58 yards on seven carries and Tanner Weaver had 38 yards on 10 carries - shared much of the running load for the Trojans as 11 different players carried the ball.

"That really deflated us," Loretto head coach Jason Busby said.

"This was one of those games where if you take away a couple of plays, it's a close ball game."

Collinwood (4-2) again in the second quarter when Austin Smith intercepted a pass and returned it 55 yards for the score.

The Trojans scored again with 20 seconds remaining in the half when quarterback Jacob Davis threw a short pass to Jacob Ritter that turned into a 57-yard touchdown.

Caperton added a 5-yard touchdown run for the Trojans in the third quarter shortly after the game was stopped for 10 minutes due to an injury to Loretto sophomore Brandon Graves.

Loretto (0-6) found the end zone in the fourth quarter when backup quarterback Mitch Weigart scored on a 6-yard touchdown run. Weigart had 53 yards on just four carries.

Davis was 14-24 passing for 117 yards, a touchdown and an interception.