10A Hows it looking?

justafan09

A game I am very much looking forward to seeing is one week from tonight.

East Robertson @ Nashville Christian.

NCS lost the season series last year, 1-2, but the team improved vastly in the season. ER won 71-49 at NCS and in the 1st game at ER, ER won 51-50 but should have lost that game but some FT shooting cost NCS. Game 3, NCS wins in round 1 of the District Tournament 48-45 and shows that teams beat individuals.

This year, Woodard and East Robertson are both scoring highly almost nightly. ER played Portland tonight and lost 48-44 and will play Clarksville Academy on Friday before the ER-NC matchup.

NCS is on a 3 game winning streak and will play Jo Byrns this Friday before facing off against ER at home next Tuesday.

My take on the game is that NCS will come out shooting and have a defensive plan to stop Woodard and once Woodard begins to not get everything he wants, he will do what he did last year against NCS and start forcing shots and take not only himself but his whole team out of a rhythm.

Excellent analysis. I agree, especially about the NCS gameplan. NCS is well coached and they play hard so expect them to so well.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A game I am very much looking forward to seeing is one week from tonight.

East Robertson @ Nashville Christian.

NCS lost the season series last year, 1-2, but the team improved vastly in the season. ER won 71-49 at NCS and in the 1st game at ER, ER won 51-50 but should have lost that game but some FT shooting cost NCS. Game 3, NCS wins in round 1 of the District Tournament 48-45 and shows that teams beat individuals.

This year, Woodard and East Robertson are both scoring highly almost nightly. ER played Portland tonight and lost 48-44 and will play Clarksville Academy on Friday before the ER-NC matchup.

NCS is on a 3 game winning streak and will play Jo Byrns this Friday before facing off against ER at home next Tuesday.

My take on the game is that NCS will come out shooting and have a defensive plan to stop Woodard and once Woodard begins to not get everything he wants, he will do what he did last year against NCS and start forcing shots and take not only himself but his whole team out of a rhythm.

Excellent analysis. I agree, especially about the NCS gameplan. But Woodard forcing shots and taking his team out of rhythm is a nightly occurance. I've only seen 2 of their games, but from what I've seen and heard, it's worse than ever this year. Take away game 1 and he's avg less than 20 pts a game while shooting around 20-25 times a game. Not to mention 8-10 FT's. If their shooters got some of those shots they would likely have a better record than 3-5. And 4 out of 5 of their losses were down to the end and he tried to win them all with selfish play. Shooting 3's isn't his game but he throws them up there anyway when the game is on the line. NCS is well coached and they play hard so expect them to so well. They actually run an offense as opposed to ER standing around.

Woodard is a great player at times. I was assigned the task of guarding him for two games last year and I must say, he was a tough matchup but I feel like if you limit his penetration his game is very much limited. During the second game, I was injured at the end of the 1st Quarter and out for the night but my teammates were able to step up and limit him to only 18 points and we moved on to region while ER went home :thumb::lol::thumb::|

I have enjoyed reading about the passion around this district. As the mother of former AA female basketball player, I can tell you that refs have opinions before they walk on the court (did anyone watch the 60 minutes profile on the NBA ref)? It happens, and it is up to the player to class-up their act to change that refs opinion.

As far as CA is concerned, so much attention is given to the twins, but there are three other players on the floor, and I've been VERY impressed with their defense and hustle. The least talked about player for their team, is probably one of their strongest defenders. Other than the twins, the rest of the players have other 'primary' sports, and just love playing basketball. Those other kids will not play scholarship basketball, but just love the game like the majority of your kids.

It's all good and in a few years, we will be talking about the domination of another team in this district. Geez... CA has been in the cellar for a long time, let them enjoy their few moments in the sun :thumb:

Great district, great basketball, crappy refs... LOL

Wasn't at the ER-CA game but a good friend was. Despite the 15 pt margin it was 37-34 at 1/2. Refs approach at CA must be consistent unless they're getting the same refs every game. Neither team came close to the bonus, and the 1st foul in the 2nd half was called 12 mins into the half. Sure some would say they're calling to even, but that type of officiating is going to help a team like CA. From what I've seen and heard, CA has a nice team obviously, but can be had.

Malcom Smith's 42 was his career high last night. I read the article in the newspaper this morning and saw that after his 42 point performance, he glorified God and his teammates for helping him and his team win the game. Shows what kind of person he is. Congratulations and keep up the good work. CA 9-0 (4-0) looked pretty good last night considering not practicing for a week because of their exam week. The Smith vs Woodard battle ended up being 42 to 18. Woodard look like he tried to do everything on his own without the help of his teammates. Smith didn't look to do it all. About 70 % of his baskets were help set up by his teammates including an off the back board ally oop by travis russell. Final score CA 70 ER 55 good luck to everone around the district and have a merry christmas.

NCS crushes ER tonight 69-46.

The game was paced by the 2nd quarter where NCS outscored East Robertson 30 to 6.

Yes it was ugly for ER indeed. Only the 3rd game I've seen of theirs this year but more of the same. I know their coach has been there for years, but he could learn a great deal by watching the film from tonight. How a well coached team like NCS plays together as a team. Didn't see one screen tonight for ER, not even on inbounds plays. Guys just have to get open on their own. How does any coach at the high school level not have any offense with plays? Not sure where ER got him, but they're getting short-changed for sure. You can easily see he has no sense of how to coach and is lost. No offense to NC, but they don't have anyone special. Just a bunch of guys that hustle and can shoot pretty good at times. Oh and well coached. They're a .500 team and ran them ER of the gym in the 2nd qtr. They work at getting open, something that ER doesn't try to do. Woodard drove the lane taking on 3-4 guys several times. He did make his points at 27, but every one is a close range and the times he drives and gets 2-3 guys on him and doesn't kick it out is killing this team. Should score 40-45 every night as much as he shoots. NCS can easily be right behind CA if they play like that. They don't have the post to play with CA, but if their 3 point shooters are hitting and play like a team, who knows? Wouldn't be terribly shocked if they beat them.

While NC might not have "anyone" special. I honestly believe this is the deepest team in 10A. Maybe not the best team overall but I do believe they are the deepest. NC will probably have to have a spectacular effort on defense against CA to beat them but it is possible. They play right after the new year on Jan. 8th at NC. I would advise anyone who can to be there.

NCS crushes ER tonight 69-46.

The game was paced by the 2nd quarter where NCS outscored East Robertson 30 to 6.

Yes it was ugly for ER indeed. Only the 3rd game I've seen of theirs this year but more of the same. I know their coach has been there for years, but he could learn a great deal by watching the film from tonight. How a well coached team like NCS plays together as a team. Didn't see one screen tonight for ER, not even on inbounds plays. Guys just have to get open on their own. How does any coach at the high school level not have any offense with plays? Not sure where ER got him, but they're getting short-changed for sure. You can easily see he has no sense of how to coach and is lost. No offense to NC, but they don't have anyone special. Just a bunch of guys that hustle and can shoot pretty good at times. Oh and well coached. They're a .500 team and ran them ER of the gym in the 2nd qtr. They work at getting open, something that ER doesn't try to do. Woodard drove the lane taking on 3-4 guys several times. He did make his points at 27, but every one is a close range and the times he drives and gets 2-3 guys on him and doesn't kick it out is killing this team. Should score 40-45 every night as much as he shoots. NCS can easily be right behind CA if they play like that. They don't have the post to play with CA, but if their 3 point shooters are hitting and play like a team, who knows? Wouldn't be terribly shocked if they beat them.

Those that attended the game----did the NCS crowd play a big role? The scoring was very lop-sided for ER, just wondering if they focused on one player like usual and tried to get in his head. I would assume they would pick Woodard, but just curious if that may have affected the other players for ER to score. It is hard to have a successful team with that big discrepancy in scoring. If you look at the leader boards, the most successful teams either don't have one player extremely high on that list or they have several on it. The best prospects for post-high school play are the team-oriented players that look good and know how to make their team look good and win. A well-coached player can do both.