5A Playoffs the way I see it

randymc

Finishing 1st or 2nd and finishing in the top half of your "A" does get you in the playoffs.

But after looking at the ways that you qualify for the wild card spots in the playoffs, you are not rewarded for playing tough teams unless you beat them.

A 5A or 6A team would be better served by finding a good 1A or 2A that will safely make the playoffs and pay them a nice sum to come and be a sacrificial lamb ..... that sounds just like college football to me.

So a team that you beat in your district (same class), if you finished third and they finished fourth but they had a better overall record for playing lower class teams they may get a wildcard and not you for beating them head to head and having a tougher overall schedule

Yes, see District 8AAA, Shelbyville will most likely finish 4th with a better overall record than Tullahoma. Even though Tullahoma beat Shelbyville last week, Shelbyville would get the wildcard bid over Tullahoma because their over all record would be better. Insane, but thats the way the rules are. Tullhoma really needs to beat Siegel this Friday.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the wildcard rankings this how quad 1 looks after week 8.

1.Tennessee

2. South

3.Daniel Boone

4. Morristown West

5. Morristown East

6. David Crockett

7. Powell

8. Seymour

So would these be the matchups if the above stayed the same?

Seymour @ Tennessee High

Powell @ Sullivan South

Morristown East @ Daniel Boone

David Crockett @ Morristown West

- had to switch Crockett and East so they wouldn't play teams from the same district

Finishing 1st or 2nd and finishing in the top half of your "A" does get you in the playoffs.

But after looking at the ways that you qualify for the wild card spots in the playoffs, you are not rewarded for playing tough teams unless you beat them.

A 5A or 6A team would be better served by finding a good 1A or 2A that will safely make the playoffs and pay them a nice sum to come and be a sacrificial lamb ..... that sounds just like college football to me.

So a team that you beat in your district (same class), if you finished third and they finished fourth but they had a better overall record for playing lower class teams they may get a wildcard and not you for beating them head to head and having a tougher overall schedule

Yes, see District 8AAA, Shelbyville will most likely finish 4th with a better overall record than Tullahoma. Even though Tullahoma beat Shelbyville last week, Shelbyville would get the wildcard bid over Tullahoma because their over all record would be better. Insane, but thats the way the rules are. Tullhoma really needs to beat Siegel this Friday.

I think Tullahoma really needs to beat Lawrence Co to get into the playoffs.

POD 1

Tennessee

Daniel Boone

Sullivan South

Morristown West

Morristown East

Seymour/Cherokee Winner

Powell

David Crockett*

POD 2

Clinton

Anderson Co

Knoxville Catholic

Cleveland

Cumberland Co/White Co Winner

Columbia

Lawrence Co

Shelbyville

POD 3

Beech

Gallatin

Henry Co

Clarksville NE

Clarksville NW

Hendersonville*

Clarksville*

Springfield*

POD 4

Hillsboro/Centennial winner

Glencliff

Hardin Co

Jackson Northside

Craigmont

Ridgeway

Melrose

Mitchell

IF Lawrence Co loses to Tullahoma, put Lawrence Co in POD 2 for Shelbyville and move Shelbyville to POD 3 for Springfield.

What is your basis for having Henry County in pod three, rather than pod four? Just wondered if you knew something that we don't know around here.

Guys, guys.... Where is all of the "pod" talk coming from? IF you follow the rules available on the TSSAA website, once all 32 teams are determined, the state will be divided in half (east to west) with 16 teams in each half by their geographic location. THEN, each half will be divided again (north to south) to create 4 "quadrants". There is NO WAY for Henry Co. to reside in the Memphis quandrant (they are too far north), so they should be lumped similar to the grouping I quoted above.

However, I DO feel TSSAA made up this rediculous playoff idea so that, in the end, they can group whomever they want into the 4 quandrants. And, yes, it IS possible for 5 teams to come out of District 10, so someone in that district can certainly be playing another district member in the 1st round. (CRAZY) I think, too, they are trying to manipulate this for the benefit of middle TN - the possibility exists for 2 middle TN teams to reach the championship but not 2 West or East.... (of course, it was kinda like that before...)

I suggest, if you haven't visited it, that you go to TSSAA and "play" with the playoff scheme... they have a page dedicated to the playoffs where you can develop the quadrants - they even have a map you can divide up on your own (of course, using your best guess of playoff members at this point).

POD 1

Tennessee

Daniel Boone

Sullivan South

Morristown West

Morristown East

Seymour/Cherokee Winner

Powell

David Crockett*

POD 2

Clinton

Anderson Co

Knoxville Catholic

Cleveland

Cumberland Co/White Co Winner

Columbia

Lawrence Co

Shelbyville

POD 3

Beech

Gallatin

Henry Co

Clarksville NE

Clarksville NW

Hendersonville*

Clarksville*

Springfield*

POD 4

Hillsboro/Centennial winner

Glencliff

Hardin Co

Jackson Northside

Craigmont

Ridgeway

Melrose

Mitchell

IF Lawrence Co loses to Tullahoma, put Lawrence Co in POD 2 for Shelbyville and move Shelbyville to POD 3 for Springfield.

What is your basis for having Henry County in pod three, rather than pod four? Just wondered if you knew something that we don't know around here.

Guys, guys.... Where is all of the "pod" talk coming from? IF you follow the rules available on the TSSAA website, once all 32 teams are determined, the state will be divided in half (east to west) with 16 teams in each half by their geographic location. THEN, each half will be divided again (north to south) to create 4 "quadrants". There is NO WAY for Henry Co. to reside in the Memphis quandrant (they are too far north), so they should be lumped similar to the grouping I quoted above.

However, I DO feel TSSAA made up this rediculous playoff idea so that, in the end, they can group whomever they want into the 4 quandrants. And, yes, it IS possible for 5 teams to come out of District 10, so someone in that district can certainly be playing another district member in the 1st round. (CRAZY) I think, too, they are trying to manipulate this for the benefit of middle TN - the possibility exists for 2 middle TN teams to reach the championship but not 2 West or East.... (of course, it was kinda like that before...)

I suggest, if you haven't visited it, that you go to TSSAA and "play" with the playoff scheme... they have a page dedicated to the playoffs where you can develop the quadrants - they even have a map you can divide up on your own (of course, using your best guess of playoff members at this point).

I looked on the website but didn't see anything about the North/South division that you spoke of. Where did you see that?

so RandyMc with your example: Tullahoma leads shelbyville in 4 out of the 10 catagories for wildcard/ tie them on 3 catagories and only loose 1 catagory this would send shelbyville to the playoffs instead of tullahoma? shelbyville plays white county and marshall co 1-15 now and tullahoma plays blackman and cookeville that have 2 loses and are 6a schools? tough one to swallow for tullhaoma.

so RandyMc with your example: Tullahoma leads shelbyville in 4 out of the 10 catagories for wildcard/ tie them on 3 catagories and only loose 1 catagory this would send shelbyville to the playoffs instead of tullahoma? shelbyville plays white county and marshall co 1-15 now and tullahoma plays blackman and cookeville that have 2 loses and are 6a schools? tough one to swallow for tullhaoma.

That's what I read. Overall record is the #1 criteria for choosing a wildcard team. Call it a flaw in the system, but that's the system. Oakland couldn't even find teams to play this year and played Ensworth (maybe the best team in the state) and Christian Co KY (top 10 KY team) because of it. Teams will learn to schedule down, which will end up the worst thing for football overall. Plus teams like Oakland, Franklin, Farragut and Riverdale will have to play each other because who would play them, when overall record is the #1 wildcard criteria. I would prefer some BCS type system honestly. Maybe coacht's success vs. strength ratings :D

I looked on the website but didn't see anything about the North/South division that you spoke of. Where did you see that?

You are right - I didn't find it completely explained either. I may be mistaken by assuming the definition of "quadrant" as cutting into 4 quarters by 2 lines 90 degrees to each other (yea, that's the definition). They (TSSAA) used to have a video on their site explaining this new system, and if I recall correctly, that was how it was described... cutting the state east-west, then north-south. But, there again, the less descriptive, the more they (TSSAA) can manipulate this into whatever they want it to be....

I did read, however, on TSSAA - the playoff rules portion - that 5 teams from the same district can be in the same "quadrant", therefore, 2 teams from the same district can have a 1st round game. Springfield would have to make it from district 10 though (and they are out right now, but next on the wildcard list!). Maybe, my bad, but still fun to play with. Here is the link...

http://www.tssaa.org/footballplayoffs/index.cfm

You are right - I didn't find it completely explained either. I may be mistaken by assuming the definition of "quadrant" as cutting into 4 quarters by 2 lines 90 degrees to each other (yea, that's the definition). They (TSSAA) used to have a video on their site explaining this new system, and if I recall correctly, that was how it was described... cutting the state east-west, then north-south. But, there again, the less descriptive, the more they (TSSAA) can manipulate this into whatever they want it to be....

I did read, however, on TSSAA - the playoff rules portion - that 5 teams from the same district can be in the same "quadrant", therefore, 2 teams from the same district can have a 1st round game. Springfield would have to make it from district 10 though (and they are out right now, but next on the wildcard list!). Maybe, my bad, but still fun to play with. Here is the link...

http://www.tssaa.org/footballplayoffs/index.cfm

District 10 will have 5 teams in the playoffs. However, none will play each other in the first round. Nor, will they all be in the same quadrant. This you can bet on. Don't forget, 2 out of this district will make the playoffs in 6A.