District 7AA for 2009-10

basketballnut

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walker Valley 72-35 over Sequatchie. There were some good things and improvement even with that final, and before WV played backups late, but clearly not enough. The refs were in their pocket the same as last week, and the same as whenever you play Cleveland, Walker Valley or Bradley over there. (Walks called often on one end, never on the other end, players getting knocked down, no call, "touch fouls" being called on the other end, etc). It wasn't much different than when Sequatchie played at Cleveland last year, Cleveland's Brown just plowed over Lockhart in the final few seconds, put her on the floor, no charge call (or foul on Lockhart, if she wasn't in position it should have been but she clearly was set about 3 feet from the basket) and Brown made the game winning shot in the final few seconds after getting her own rebound (Lockhart was still getting up and couldn't block out of course). When you play an out of the area team over there, win or lose, it's noticeably different in both camp and regular season games. As bad as the refs were and they're consistently worse than in Chattanooga or any other area in my view, it was nowhere near enough to make a difference in the final the way the teams played. Walker Valley went 3-0 against three AA teams in the tournament.

Meigs nearly got the upset over Red Bank and had two chances late. They led by 1 with 15 seconds or so left, got the ball in and were trying to run out some time but a clean steal led to a lay-up. Meigs got the ball inside and was foul with 1 second left, their fans didn't like it but it was a foul underneath that prevented a shot so it had to be called no matter the time. Their girl missed the first of the one-and-one and RB got the rebound to end it. It was amazing how much better officiated that game was, with a neutral court, same as the Sequatchie vs Red Bank (blowout loss) and Sequatchie vs Meigs (close win) games were.

Sequatchie got a good win at Howard Tuesday 58-51. Sequatchie led by 5 at the half, 8 after three but Howard went ahead 47-46 late after a turnover and lay-up. Sequatchie retook the lead with 2 free throws with about 1:30 left and made 10-10 more over the rest of the game. That was impressive as noisy and excited as the home crowd was, that's the most animated I remember their crowd for the girls, usually they wait until the boys game to get it going. Barker led Sequatchie in points with 22, also had 6 rebounds, 4 assists; Carlton scored 14 and was 6-6 FT in the fourth; McAfee had 9 points, 10 rebounds, 6 steals; Greene 6 points, 4 steals. I think that was Howard's second game so it's hard to tell much about them yet but they were tied at the half with Arts and Sciences last Saturday before losing.

I haven't seen CCS play this year, but I know that they have several players returning from last year. They beat Grundy both times in regular season last year, but Grundy beat them in the tournament. If Grundy's post players will step up to the challenge tonight, Grundy will come out with the win. It should be a great game to watch.

Indian,

When you were talking about going ahead and rooting for Grundy...I am not from Grundy, but like watching them. I like watching this district. I live in the Harrison, Cleveland area and venture over to watch Bradley/Walker/CLeveland as well. I always have liked watching Seq. teams coached by Barker even when they were not winning...5 or so years ago. I believe she gets things out of her players whether liked by parents or not. I started going to some CCS games more so when they joined this district however I do remember watching when the coach's daughter played and the post player that went D1. They were fun to watch and still are b/c they are scrappy. I watched Grundy for awhile when they went to the state tourney in 98 I was at all 3 games. I followed Woodlee, the coach there now, in her collegiate career at CSCC and Lee University. She also coached AAU in the area and took that team to the state. That is why I guess I am partial to Grundy b/c it seems I have more of a connection there. I did attend the CCS and Grundy game and the turnovers were OUT OF THIS WORLD. I do not believe I have seen a Grundyteam turn it over that much in awhile. I have watched them this year and the biggest difference from last to this year was the point guard could see the floor and hardly made mistakes. Last night it seemed that was all she could do. I look for the district tourney to be a good one though. Bledsoe is not a bad team, Seq. will just get better, CCS will remain at the top I believe and Grundy will be battling for that top spot. Good luck to all these teams. Season is still young!

Iamthatguy wrote: I have watched them this year and the biggest difference from last to this year was the point guard could see the floor and hardly made mistakes. Last night it seemed that was all she could do.

Wow, someone get that kid out from underneath this bus. That was unexpected and disappointing, rival or not. :wacko:

2030_02_4---Yellow-School-Bus_web.jpg

Considering that this is only her 10th or 11th game playing on varsity you can't expect her to have a perfect game every night. I am sure every player in the world has had an off night and that was hers. Also considering she is the only legit ball handler on the team it is hard to beat teams that apply a lot of pressure and play scrappy like CCS.

iamthatguy, you must be pretty a pretty dedicated fan/stalker to travel an hour+ just to watch this game and not have a daughter playing. Considering that the last 4 pages in your user's posts are about Grundy and this district and none have been about the Bradley/Walker/CLeveland you love so much, I don't think the drive took you that long. But that is just my opinion. You support her when she is on top, but hate her when they lose.

Iamthatguy wrote: I have watched them this year and the biggest difference from last to this year was the point guard could see the floor and hardly made mistakes. Last night it seemed that was all she could do.

Wow, someone get that kid out from underneath this bus. That was unexpected and disappointing, rival or not. :)

Iamthatguy isn't saying anything the "kid" has not told herself already. Believe me she would just laugh off the comment and hit the gym hard like the 6 hrs she did yesterday. You better be looking for a pic of a blond ponytailed girl crushing that big yellow bus. :popcorneater::)

I'm not the one who needs convincing singling out individuals after a loss is unacceptable. I agree with "rubberboots" for the most part but putting on here the team has one ball-handler, probably on a roster of 25 counting JV, doesn't help anything either. Some of the posts comparing a player to Magic Johnson or already making room for a state title in the trophy case were bound to create some backlash and that may be part of it, too.